How to choose speaker stands?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear all,

I'm looking for some speaker stands for my Proac Resopnse 1SCs.

I have two questions: (1) height, (2) brand.

(1) I noticed that most speaker stands are 60cm, 70cm or 80cm high, and I remember reading somewhere that it is best if the tweeter of the speaker is at ear height while in listening position. Is this right? If so, I'd need 80cm stands, which look quite high...Has anyone tried various heights and found major differences? I'd appreciate any advice.

(2) This is a real problem for me, because I just moved to the Netherlands, and all Hi-Fi related products seem to mysteriously double in price once they cross the channel (Custom Design RS300: £84 at Peter Tyson, 229€ here, for example)! However, all the usual suspects are available. Are there any stands that readers or WHF staff would recommend for the Response 1SCs?

Finally, has anyone heard of the brand Norstone? They seem to offer good value and are available here. The French version of WHF frequently recommends them, but I haven't seen them mentioned in the British version. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hedgehog

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The tweeter should be at ear level. This may sometimes look high, but is a good rule to follow.

Having the tweeter lower than ear level isn't a major issue, but the closer the bass unit is to the floor, the stronger the bass will be. his can be fine with lean sounding speakers, but unwanted with 'heavy' sounding speakers. Only audtioning in situ can give you the results.

Another thing is thatome speakers like heavy stands, some like lighter stands. In this case, I'd say that the Response 1sc's prefer heavy stands, but this will vary from speaker to speaker. Some speakers can sound better on open top stands - stands that only have a from as a top plate rather than a metal plate. Unfortunately there aren't many stands like this nowadays.

A

Anonymous

From what I hear, you should consider something really heavy for the Proacs. I reckon some Target MR series stands. Expensive but worth it for the 1SCs, speakers that you'll keep until they fall apart!

A

Anonymous

Thanks, both.

Iggle, I understand what you're saying, but with me not knowing where I'll be in future it sounds wrong to buy the heaviest, most expensive stands, given the fact that they're even more expensive here than in the UK.

I looked at the relevant Norstone's today, and they seem a bit light-weight. Do I remember correctly that you had the Atacama Nexus' before? How were they? I could get them in 70cm high...

Thanks a lot.

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

I used to use Apollo A4/6s in their 60cm height version. Not bad stands and for under a hundred quid, good value. They were four column, fillable stands that weighed a tonne once filled. Very well built too. They might actually be a good compromise for you. Just fill them with sand. You can get taller versions too.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, again, that's very helpful!! I will consider these.

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

PS Just so that you see what I mean about pricing: the Apollo 4/6 are 180? here (= £150).

H.

A

Anonymous

Can't a local dealer can suggest some local brands? Will anyone here in the UK ship some A4s to you? Perhaps give some dealers a call or scout ebay. Shame because I sold mine for virtually nothing recently and would have given them away to the right home.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
dynaudio stands are very good and the 4's are very heavy when filled. since they are made in denmark finding a pair shouldnt be to hard. thats the thing with stands on ebay tho igglebert, unless you have kept the original packaging then its hard to post them and normally too expensive also, this limits you to collection only and thus cuts down the likely amount of buyers. i waited nearly a year for a pair of dynaudio stands to appear on ebay and in the end the bloke selling them lived about 2 miles away from my work. i probably paid over the odds for them but when you take into account the fuel savings it was a good deal.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, bluebrazil. Actually, I was shown some Dynaudio stands in a shop today, but they were too dear for my present situation. I now ordered some Atacama Nexus 7is new via Ebay. Hopefully, they'll do for a while.

Thanks for the help, everybody!

Hedgehog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts