How to buy used gear safely online?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'd like to find out from other folks who purchase used equipment online from websites like ebay and audiogon what steps they take in making sure that everything goes smoothly for the buyer and seller.

Are there any important questions that I should ask in advance such as the warranty, purchase date, original receipt?

If the seller has very few sales and the item at question is over a thousand, what extra steps would you advise?

What methods of payment would you recommend? Audiogon offers paypal or a money order which sound scary to me because I would have to make payment first without knowing whether I'll receive anything in exchange. Should I use an escrow service (eg escrow.com) that would hold the money until I've received the item and it's in acceptable condition?

Thank you,

Michael

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO id want lots of pics of the original item and if they cant provide them then move on...

Also; if its very expensive id be looking to offer a deposit and then look to pick the item up ASAP (within 48hours if poss) and pay cash on collection!

Usually expensive/quality hifi gear on eBay is sold by enthusiasts so you should be ok but its always better to be safe then sorry...

With regards to origianl receiepts; sometimes thats just not feasable. If its more than a few years old then a receipt is worth diddly squat...

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Michael. The only way to be 100% sure is cash on collection.

I know a lot of listings say "You are bidding to buy, not to haggle", but I would say this is wholely dependant on the accuracy of the description.

If you're in any way displeased with what you've 'bought', you should explain your misgivings and come to an agreement. Either walk away, or re-negotiate.

T

the record spot

Put a second card online and make this a credit card. Any purchase over £100 means the liability is shared by the credit card company. Make sure this applies to Ebay purchases though. This applies to any transaction from shops, online retailers, travel, etc, so double check to be sure. In the event of a problem and the seller's being an idiot, PayPal are being stupid, then the c/c company might help out.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I've sold some (fairly) expensive equipment on eBay in the past.

You should be more suspicious of someone who has quite a lot of positive feedback on low value items, who then puts up something very expensive - this *could* be a scam. Also, PayPal offers some protection. I'm not sure that eBay isn't actually safer than some of the many companies that have sprung up over the last few years trading online!

daveh75

paypal isn't all it's cracked to be. i've had issues with them in the past. had someone buy an item with stolen credit card details once which didn't come to light until 3 weeks after i dispatched the item and the first thing paypal did was to deduct the amount from my balance. was then sent an email telling me i would have to bear the cost. if your buying or selling anything of value insist on cash on collection

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I think the problem is that even if it's not a stolen card, a buyer can request their credit card company to claim back a payment. One would hope the company would only do so for a valid reason. PayPal say they will support your case if you've followed their advice (only send to the PayPal registered address, and via Special Delivery or similar), but I'm aware that some people have had problems, and I'm not sure how helpful PayPal are in these circumstances.

daveh75

done all of that, probably should have mentioned they used hacked ebay/paypal accounts also. paypal were of no help and steadfast in the decision that i'd have to bear the costs. seems i'm not alone, there's a dedicated website to the perils of using them

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
I have had no problems when buying Hi-Fi gear from E-Bay

I always look at the feedback - and see what the feedback was for (i.e. value of item - was it for something of value?). I don't buy from someone who has sold just a few items unless I can pick it up myself - then I pay cash on collection. I feel more at ease if I'm getting stuff from a dealer - and they have a massive number on the feedback score. The feedback % must be in the high 90s or 100. I much prefer to get from a dealer who also has a Hi-Fi shop somewhere - and they are selling ex-demo stuff (often with a full warranty) or some gear they have taken as part exchange from a customer.

I know some here have had problems with PayPal - but I haven't. I use PayPal unless I'm collecting and paying by cash.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts