how to add a Cyrus preamp to an existing pre-power AV set up?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi,

I am not sure if this is a dumb question or not but I can't get my head around it! I currently run my Cyrus CD7Q into my Rotel RSP 1066 processor which is powered by a separate Rotel 5 channel amp. I feel I could do better by using a dedicated stereo pre-amp ideally from Cyrus as I think the Rotel processor is holding back the CD player. But is this actually feasible? I am struggling to see how I connect everything in my current set up. Any advice gratefully received.

cheers Jamie

Messiah

You could do it with a stereo amp but not a pre-amp.

The problem is that both AV processor and stereo pre-amp would need to utilise the same 2 channels on the power amp and there is no beneficial way to do this that I can think off.
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

thanks messiah. That makes sense i think. I presume though that both stereo amp and AV power amp would need to be connected to the same speakers?

cheers Jamie

Messiah

Here goes, here is my standard reply for this...

1. Connect the front pre-outs on the AV Processor to a spare input (excluding phono) on the stereo amp. (should be an AV input on the Cyrus and I think it can also be configured so that step 4 would not be needed)
2. Ensure the left and right front speakers are connected to the stereo amp. (May seem obvious I know!) and leave all other speakers connected to the receiver.
3. Select the input on the Stereo Amp that the AV Amp is connected to.
4. Set the volume on the Stereo Amp to a memorable position. A lot of people recommend the 12 o'clock position.
5. Run the speaker calibration set up.

Now that this is set up you can enjoy the best of both worlds!

When you want to watch a movie you need to ensure both amps are on and the input the processor is connected to is selected. Then set the volume back to the 12 o'clock position and enjoy! (This may not be needed with the Cyrus, if it is though remember to return the volume on the Stereo Amp back to it's normal position before you switch inputs!!)

To listen in stereo you just need to use the Stereo Amp. (Ensure your stereo components such as a CD player are connected to the Stereo Amp and not the AV Amp). The AV amp is left off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts