How do I Connect?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I've just bought an LG LH5000 32in LCD TV and am trying to arrange the audio connections to my surround sound and DVD player. I have the Acoustic Energy P5 Surround System and a Panasonic DMR ES20D DVD player. I have coonected the AE system to the TV using Optical Cable and can get 5 speaker sound for TV programmes. I've just put on a DVD and noted that it is playing in 'PCM Prologic' whereas it should be playing in Dolby Digital.

Obviously there needs to be a separate audio connection for the DVD but what is the best way to achieve optimum sound. Should I have optical between TV and DVD and something else between surround and TV. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
You need an optical or coaxial lead from the DVD player to the surround system. It is no use connecting the DVD audio directly to the TV as it wont "pass through" 5.1 sound.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your suggestion. Whilst this ensures that my films now play in their desired audio format, i.e dolby digital, I now have no sound from my tv. Surely there needs to be another cable running from the surround to the TV?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Weeeell, nobody told you to disconnect the TV from the surround system but if it's an all-in-one system that only has one input then you need to check whether the system has analogue stereo inputs and if the TV has analogue stereo outputs and use those to connect the TV to the all-in-one.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I've tried the Red/White combination from the Line In from my decoder to the corresponding Red/White on the TV - these are Component In. Still no sound. Help Help

A

Anonymous

I'm not familiar with your type of surround system but would suggest that there must be a setting or button on the decoder unit that will send audio to your tv, however if your using the surround system, there is no need to connect the audio feed to the tv. I imagine you must have a satellite box or feed to you tv?? The red/white audio connections go from sat box to tv so you can get sound through your tv speaker when your surround amp is switched off, but I would suggest that this should not be a regular occurance !!!

A

Anonymous

Hi, No I don't have a sat box. I'm using the integrated freeview from the TV. It seems from the earlier post that I need an output and input but that my connections are both inputs at the moment. The P5 is an old system so doesn't have many connections. In terms of digital audio out it only has optical and coaxial. As my DVD only seems to have optical in, that means I'm left with coaxial but there is no corresponding output on the TV. Is there such a thing as an optical splitter whereby I could convert the single optical output to two and then run optical cables to it from both the TV and DVD. If so, does anyone have any recommendations?

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Is there an analogue output on the TV? ie Twin phono audio outs? If so connect these to the surround system. If there are no separate audio outs then use a scart connection with a scart to phono adapter and use the audio connections from it to the surround system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts