Home cinema 5.1 setup

Ksutty

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi, Im just finishing decorationg our lounge and before we have a new carpet fitted I wanted to run speaker cables ready for my new surround system. Im new to seperates so not sure about wiring, do I need to run the same type of cable to the sub as used to run to each of the other four speakers or is it a different type of cable. Also is it worth buying the cable as a combined length so I can cut it myself or made up ready with plugs fitted either end ie one at receiver and one at speaker end. Do both receiver and mt-30 speakers accept the QED 4mm Airloc plugs or do they have binding posts???

I will be buying

Sony 5200 receiver

B&W mt-30 speaker package

was looking at using QED silver Anniversary XT speaker cable

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Undercarpet cable? QED Qontour will do the job. Buy a bulk length, buying a bit more than you need, and cut it to the lengths you need. Yes both speakers and receiver will take any 4mm speaker plug, but the sub will need a phono-type interconnect cable, not speaker cable.

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I'm using a Sony 5200 receiver and a B+W MT-30 in the master bedroom presently. I find it is a good set-up, however the Sony 5300 receiver (which I believe will support DTS-HD and Dolby HD) will be out next month.

Personally, if I had know this earlier, I would have held off on the receiver until the 5300 is released. Especially considering that it is 'just around the corner'. Futher, it is a piece of kit that you will no doubt own for a while, so having support for the new HD sound formats might increase its longevity.

Cheers,

Robert.

Ksutty

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Robert,

I Think I will hold off buying that receiver for a while as there seems to be quite a few about to be released in the next month or so.
As for the flat cable, will I be compromising the sound by using a "cheaper" flat cable for my speakers. I don't want to spend so much on speakers and receiver to cost cut on cable. If need be I will run the cable in D line trunking above the carpet

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I should also mention that the cable channel and connection on the bottom of the supplied B+W M-1 speaker stands is quite narrow. If the cable is too thick it will not fit in the cable channel.

If you plan to use the supplied stands, I recommend taking one of the speakers with you when you go to buy the cable. That way you can check if it fits before purchase.

Cheers,

Robert.

TRENDING THREADS