HiFi quality radio? - Chebby et al to the rescue, please

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Up until quite recently I've listened almost exclusively to Radio 4, and as such, not needed anything else other than a kitchen transistor radio and Sky box into DAC in the living room to do so.

However, I have found myself sampling more and more Radio 3, in the car (car radio), and on the train/on foot (iPad), and wondered what would be the best sounding option for listening in the evening when I have my hi-fi (see below) in the equation.

Availale options:

1) a Videologic DAB tuner gathering dust in the garage (and an outside DAB aerial available too).

2) Sky box into DAC

3) iPad streaming to DAC

4) a new tuner? (less than £300 budget if this was the way to go)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
In my case the best Radio 3 is from FM with a rooftop aerial.

Next is TuneIn Radio Pro app from my iphone via AirPlay. (Gets the whole 320k.)

Then Freeview Radio 3 from my Humax (and, of course, that means I can record a radio programme without being around). In your case this would be the Sky option.

Lastly, DAB. Sounds ok (with rooftop aerial) but more for convenience really. (More 'ok' than I would have expected from past experience.)

If you elect to get an FM tuner then spend £50 to £100 on ebay for a really good condition Denon TU-260L (or similar) and spend the rest of your budget on a cracking good rooftop FM + DAB aerial installation. (Not of those awful circular 'omnidirectial efforts!)

[Late Edit] Quick, quick this looks good (new in box)...

Denon TU260L II

Like Chebby I'm an avid radio listener - a dedicated tuner will be hard to beat. The good thing is there seems to be more choice on the s/hand market (perceived comment).

Denon, Marantz, Rotel, Arcam... all have their boots [still] firmly in the tuner market.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
In my case the best Radio 3 is from FM with a rooftop aerial.

Next is TuneIn Radio Pro app from my iphone via AirPlay. (Gets the whole 320k.)

Then Freeview Radio 3 from my Humax (and, of course, that means I can record a radio programme without being around). In your case this would be the Sky option.

Lastly, DAB. Sounds ok (with rooftop aerial) but more for convenience really. (More 'ok' than I would have expected from past experience.)

If you elect to get an FM tuner then spend £50 to £100 on ebay for a really good condition Denon TU-260L (or similar) and spend the rest of your budget on a cracking good rooftop FM + DAB aerial installation. (Not of those awful circular 'omnidirectial efforts!)

[Late Edit] Quick, quick this looks good (new in box)...

Denon TU260L II

That's the very model of tuner I used to own! Sold it because my former abode had terrible FM reception and when I moved house I invested in a DAB tuner and aerial. The latter, my wife now reminds me, is no longer in situ. I agreed to it's removal last year prior to house renovation work. (She is now grumpily, yet semi-gleefully reminding me that she thought it was a mistake, and said so at the time! She likes being proved right, of course).

Will try the app you mention, and proceed from there.

Thanks.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
I have found that the internet 320 kb/s AAC is by far the best, using Sonos through a Rega DAC into an amp. Better than any FM I have received through a good tuner. Using the same stream via the TuneIn Radio app on an iPad and streaming to a DAC should be equally good, providing that the iPad streaming (Airplay) is up to the job.

Andrew

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I was lucky enough to move into a flat with a good quality FM feed pre-installed. But I never use it, I just use Internet radio through my iPod and Apple TV. Sometimes use the Sky box. I don't notice much difference in sound quality, and I enjoy the flexibility and sheer choice.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
I was lucky enough to move into a flat with a good quality FM feed pre-installed. But I never use it, I just use Internet radio through my iPod and Apple TV. Sometimes use the Sky box. I don't notice much difference in sound quality, and I enjoy the flexibility and sheer choice.

I think I agree.

I bought the Tunein app and streamed a few Radio3 programmes, and they all sounded pretty good. I think I'll leave the DAB tuner to gather even more dust.

Cheers all.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Good stuff, glad you're sorted.

The other thing I find handy with TuneIn is the ability to record. I don't imagine many of us still have a recording device connected to the tape loops. Ah, those were(n't!) the days.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
Good stuff, glad you're sorted. The other thing I find handy with TuneIn is the ability to record. I don't imagine many of us still have a recording device connected to the tape loops. Ah, those were(n't!) the days.

TuneIn Radio Pro recordings are not transferable to iTunes though :-(

I am now using our Humax HDR-Fox T2 to record from Freeview radio. Obviously the recordings are not going to be 'permanent' (like cassettes), but I am looking into using USB memory sticks for stuff I want to keep. (They are almost cheap enough to label and keep for this purpose.) However, I don't know yet whether I will be 'locked' into having to play them back on the Humax or even whether they will only play back on our specific Humax (and no subsequent Humax machine - or other PVR - we may own in future).

Ideally I will be able to play back/download the contents of the memory sticks on a computer and import/convert the files to iTunes.

I need to research this (or open a new thread) as I don't have any spare memory sticks to experiment with.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
bigblue235 said:
Good stuff, glad you're sorted. The other thing I find handy with TuneIn is the ability to record. I don't imagine many of us still have a recording device connected to the tape loops. Ah, those were(n't!) the days.

TuneIn Radio Pro recordings are not transferable to iTunes though :-(

I am now using our Humax HDR-Fox T2 to record from Freeview radio. Obviously the recordings are not going to be 'permanent' (like cassettes), but I am looking into using USB memory sticks for stuff I want to keep. (They are almost cheap enough to label and keep for this purpose.) However, I don't know yet whether I will be 'locked' into having to play them back on the Humax or even whether they will only play back on our specific Humax (and no subsequent Humax machine - or other PVR - we may own in future).

Ideally I will be able to play back/download the contents of the memory sticks on a computer and import/convert the files to iTunes.

I need to research this (or open a new thread) as I don't have any spare memory sticks to experiment with.

I have the same Hunax as you and yes you can download onto a memory drive and play them on a computer, I have done this with TV films ect, many times.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts