HiFi from a computer hard disk

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I would like to get some quality hifi components that can play digitally recorded tracks from a hard drive not just play CDs.
I've been looking for a "standard" hifi that could take digital inputs but wasn't sure connectors to use.
I've read several editions of What HiFi and although I love the mag I can't find an answer to my quest.

idc

You need a DAC to convert the PCs digital signal into an analogue one for the amp. You can either -

get a standalone DAC which could connect from the PC with a USB or digital or optical cable and then phonos into the amp. DACs start at about £100 and go on into the thousands.

get a CDP or amp which contain a DAC that connects from the PC again via USB, digital or optical cable. There are some, but not a huge amount of amps and CDPs on the market which can do that.

the cheapest route is to use the DAC in the PCs soundcard, so you get a minijack to phono connectors and go from the minijack line out on the PC to the phonos on the amp.

Which cable you use will depend on what outputs your PC has (most commonly USB) and what the DAC, or compatible amp or CDP can take.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that! Really helpful.
Am I right in presuming that I'm better off not using the DAC on the soundcard as the analogue output might be affected by all the other electronics?

idc

I'm no expert on soundcards, but they are made to a price, including the DAC and have various jobs to do. If I connect my headphones into the line out I can hear a lot of hiss, which is due to the other electronics as you say. If you take the digital signal from the PC then you bypass all of that.

John Duncan

What HiFi Reader:
Thanks for that! Really helpful.
Am I right in presuming that I'm better off not using the DAC on the soundcard as the analogue output might be affected by all the other electronics?

They *can* be very badly affected, yes - if I do it with my Sony laptop with the power supply plugged in, it's like listening to a washing machine. On battery, it's a hundred times better - so the answer to your question will depend on the design of your PC, the quality of the soundcard, etc.

Try it first, and if you hear a lot of background noise then you can try taking the sound offboard with - in more or less order of price - a simple USB soundcard, an Airport Express or similar wireless streamer, or a full-blown USB DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts