Question HiFi damage diagnosis

TenTonTarantula

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
Any help much appreciated:

Recently purchased a new DAC, which sits between my Bluesound Node (vias USB) and my amplifier. It suddenly started producing very loud digital static. Obviously unplugged it as quickly as possible. Since the event the system (now connected directly RCA from BS to amp) has at times started producing occasional clicking noises, most often – or perhaps only easily noticeable – when watching TV via HDMI eARC.

The best way I can think to describe the sound would be similar to the way a record sounds when it hits the run out area at the end of the track.

No idea if this is resolvable, but I'd at least like to be able to diagnose whether the issue is likely to be with the amp or the speakers so that I'd know what to replace!

All ideas/advice welcome.

Gray

Recently purchased a new DAC, which sits between my Bluesound Node (vias USB) and my amplifier. It suddenly started producing very loud digital static.
That symptom happened to me once. Can't remember precisely what the file types were, or the sequence but, for me it was due to different file types being in the same playlist.....at the transition point the DAC lost sync.....and at my preferred volume the 'static' sound really wasn't funny.

I'm not saying this is the cause of your issue, but if it happens again, note what file type is playing at the time, especially if it occurs during track transition.

And since you wondered, you can rule out the amp and speakers as being anything to do with either of the problems you've described.

TenTonTarantula

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
And since you wondered, you can rule out the amp and speakers as being anything to do with either of the problems you've described.

Thanks for your response. To the above: how so? The DAC has been taken out of the chain, so I'm basically wondering where the clicking is now coming from and the amp and speakers were the only things downstream from the source of the noise (so I'm kind of ruling out the BS Node).

As for file types: this has happened listening to Tidal via a laptop and HDMI audio via the BS Node.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Any help much appreciated:

Recently purchased a new DAC, which sits between my Bluesound Node (vias USB) and my amplifier. It suddenly started producing very loud digital static. Obviously unplugged it as quickly as possible. Since the event the system (now connected directly RCA from BS to amp) has at times started producing occasional clicking noises, most often – or perhaps only easily noticeable – when watching TV via HDMI eARC.

The best way I can think to describe the sound would be similar to the way a record sounds when it hits the run out area at the end of the track.

No idea if this is resolvable, but I'd at least like to be able to diagnose whether the issue is likely to be with the amp or the speakers so that I'd know what to replace!

All ideas/advice welcome.

This is more than likely static. Basically someone or somthing has given your system a nasty bolt of static. Easily done this time of year

certain things can recover from it other things well, they break.

systematically unhook and play some media

if you don’t have a dvd player/ disc spinner get some rca leads for your phone/tablet/computer and play some music/YouTube and see if you still get any abnormal noises.

if I hazard a guess it’s the blusound. Static white noise wouldn’t have hurt your speakers unless turned up. And a “dumb” amp a fuse would have popped

Reactions: aversaurus

Gray

Thanks for your response. To the above: how so? The DAC has been taken out of the chain, so I'm basically wondering where the clicking is now coming from and the amp and speakers were the only things downstream from the source of the noise (so I'm kind of ruling out the BS Node).
The external DAC has been taken out if the chain (the Node still has one).
Yes, the amp and speakers are downstream of the Node - but you can bet that they're only passing on what the Node is giving them.
You can prove that the amp and speakers are not the cause of the problem - by feeding the amp with a known, good analogue source.

Do that first - then (I'm sure) you'll be in a position to concentrate on the Node and its interaction with its digital inputs.

Reactions: Al ears

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I hope you're never in a position to rely on any fuse to protect your speakers against harmful noise......good luck if you are 👍

I know I my grammar isn’t the best so I apologise for any confusion, but I wasn’t referring to the speakers. And no I wouldn’t be relying on fuse to protect speakers from being over driven.

But static overload would certainly pop a fuse in amp and that’s what I meant

anyhow it’s static that caused the problem.

Reactions: aversaurus

Gray

anyhow it’s static that caused the problem.
Is it?
What caused the 'static' (That's what the original poster needs to know).

I would imagine you might describe the loud, scratchy hiss noise that my own DAC once gave out as 'static'.
Whatever you'd call it, I can assure you that if I hadn't been onto it like a shot, it would have blown my tweeters to kingdom come long before any fuse blew ;)

Last edited:

aversaurus

Modern amplifiers have a lot of delicate electronics in them that can get damaged long before a fuse blows .
I can't imagine the speakers would be damaged .
I would take the system apart earth the amp and rebuild and see if you have the same problem .
If so swop out the amp if possible and see if the problem persists.

Gray

Modern amplifiers have a lot of delicate electronics in them that can get damaged long before a fuse blows .
I can't imagine the speakers would be damaged .
I would take the system apart earth the amp and rebuild and see if you have the same problem .
If so swop out the amp if possible and see if the problem persists.
You're talking about static charge build up - that can destroy electronic components - when discharged into them.
I think a loud white-noise sound is often described by people as 'static'....that's where the confusion is.

Reactions: nopiano

Gray

If it is static it's unusual.
With respect, unusual would be an understatement.
The suggestion here seems to be that damage (either temporary or permanent) has been caused by electrostatic discharge 'from someone or something'.......because 'it's easily done this time of year' 🙂

Seriously, I understand that static build up can be influenced by ambient atmospheric humidity - and appreciate the harm that can be caused by it discharging unto susceptible electronic components.
But sorry, I really don't think it is the cause of the OP's issue.

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

I think this thread is heading down the same route as the other thread on sibilance.
Until we can confirm whether it is static or it isn't we don't have a hope of solving issues.
I'd hazard a guess and say that you know it's not static 😉

Perhaps we could hear from the OP again.
He's come here asking about damage diagnosis.
Has anything been damaged? Seems unlikely.......to be continued....maybe 🤔

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts