Is it possible for music to damage speakers at a normal volume?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

spirit90

Apr 12, 2022
Visit site
Throbbing Gristle were the pioneers of industrial music.

The specific type I'm listening to is power electronics, which is a mix of industrial and noise.

It's pretty extreme stuff, and to be honest, I'm just dabbling in it.

My original question was due to the amount of harsh noises in these tracks.

I'm not playing them too loudly, but I was concerned the extreme sound itself could damage my speakers.

Reactions: nopiano

The specific type I'm listening to is power electronics, which is a mix of industrial and noise.

I'm not playing them too loudly, but I was concerned the extreme sound itself could damage my speakers.
as stated previously that stuff is limp to damage your ears before it damages your speakers..... Yes I recall Throbbing Gristle. :)

No, you should be fine as long as ‘normal music’ is at a comfortable level then unusual sounds won’t bother speakers. Only continuous tones at high levels, at very low or high frequencies would potentially cause issues.

WayneKerr

I don't think you would play tracks with sub 20hz bass loud to hear or feel it on a small pair of harbeth p3esr, most tweeters go way above 20khz so you should be find as long as you don't overload the amp/speakers
Ooh, I dunno, I had my little P3's wound up during the week and I could actually feel the bass through my chair. Tested with an SPL meter and I was hitting nearly 90dB peak :eek:, neighbour was away at the time :)

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS