Hifi amps with true 75Watt RMS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shadders

Artoo said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:
I have never heard an Abrahamson, but if it's anything like his silly god he can keep his amplifiers.

OK, I looked them (Abrahamsen) up. Made in China stuff, looks pretty so will automatically 'sound' good in sighted testing. Unfortunately they also market foo wire, a major negative in terms of credibility IMO. I have never heard any, but then I only ever hear stuff that goes faulty.

Abrahamsen amplifiers are all made in Sweden and it is unlikely that you will ever hear an Abrahamsen amp in that case .

The technical spec is far beyond anything near the price with a 1000va transformer , 100 amps of peak current delivery and transient power measured in kilowatts.

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!abrahamsen/ckbj
Hi,

Is that 100amps per channel, or from the power supply? I examined the Web site and it seems that there are 3 power transistors per positive or negative swing of the waveform. I am not sure each could withstand 33.3amps each, even as a transient.

Regards, Shadders.

There are a total of 12 output transistors .
Hi,

there are 6 transistors per channel, where only 3 conduct at one time per channel. Assuming each channel is on the positive swing then each transistor will have to conduct 16.65amps each to achieve the 100amps quoted.

From the website picture, the transistors are Toshiba 2SC3421 which have a peak continuous current capability of 1amp, and not 16.65amps. Pulse capability is 2 amps maximum, and safe operating is 3 amps for a one off pulse. This equates to 5 times less than shared 100amps/6=16.65amps.

i believe that numbers quoted by people or manufacturers need to be reviewed and understood. The 100amps quoted sounds very impressive, yet the output relay has a maximum capability of 16amps.

One channel has a maximum peak output of 9 amps (based on transistors) as a single non repeatable transient.

Or 6amps as a repeated pulse on the output.

Or 3amps continuous per channel, which is 6amps continuous per amplifier (both channels).

Much less than the quoted 100amps.

Regards,

Shadders.

Interesting. If you have the time, could you please look into the Hegel H80 and see how it compares to the Abrahamsen?

Cheers!
Hi,

a quick scan shows that the Hegel H80 uses two output transistors per channel, one for the positive and one for the negative voltage swing. The transistors from the picture are Toshiba 2SA2121/5949 - seem to be a complimentary pair. They have a continuous current capability of 15amps. This on paper is 5x the output capability (continuous) per channel, in comparison to the Abrahamsen. The issue is that the transformer used as per pictures (not the manufacturers website) is 250VA. Without knowing the power supply capacitance, it is difficult to determine any limitations.

This is where actual performance tests conducted by Hifi magazines are very helpful, as they will provide peak current capability as measured, and not based on those parameters which present the device/equipment in the best light, where those parameters could never be used in the real world.

Example, Abrahamsen has a continuous output current of 3amps, whereas the Hegel H80 has a continuous output current of 15amps. But this is on paper, and I expect the Hegel to be less than this, but the figures I have quoted for Abrahamsen are accurate IF the pictures on iqspeakers website are correct.

Regards,

Shadders.

Artoo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
shadders said:
Artoo said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:
I have never heard an Abrahamson, but if it's anything like his silly god he can keep his amplifiers.

OK, I looked them (Abrahamsen) up. Made in China stuff, looks pretty so will automatically 'sound' good in sighted testing. Unfortunately they also market foo wire, a major negative in terms of credibility IMO. I have never heard any, but then I only ever hear stuff that goes faulty.

Abrahamsen amplifiers are all made in Sweden and it is unlikely that you will ever hear an Abrahamsen amp in that case .

The technical spec is far beyond anything  near the price with a 1000va transformer , 100 amps of peak current delivery and transient power measured in kilowatts.

?
Hi,

Is that 100amps per channel, or from the power supply? I examined the Web site and it seems that there are 3 power transistors per positive or negative swing of the waveform. I am not sure each could withstand 33.3amps each, even as a transient.

Regards, Shadders.

Hi,

there are 6 transistors per channel, where only 3 conduct at one time per channel. Assuming each channel is on the positive swing then each transistor will have to conduct 16.65amps each to achieve the 100amps quoted.

From the website picture, the transistors are Toshiba 2SC3421 which have a peak continuous current capability of 1amp, and not 16.65amps. Pulse capability is 2 amps maximum, and safe operating is 3 amps for a one off pulse. This equates to 5 times less than shared 100amps/6=16.65amps.?

i believe that numbers quoted by people or manufacturers need to be reviewed and understood.  The 100amps quoted sounds very impressive, yet the output relay has a maximum capability of 16amps.

One channel has a maximum peak output of 9 amps (based on transistors) as a single non repeatable transient.

Or 3amps continuous per channel, which is 6amps continuous per amplifier (both channels).

Regards,?

Shadders.

Interesting. If you have the time, could you please look into the Hegel H80 and see how it compares to the Abrahamsen?

Cheers!
Hi,

a quick scan shows that the Hegel H80 uses two output transistors per channel, one for the positive and one for the negative voltage swing. The transistors from the picture are Toshiba 2SA2121/5949 - seem to be a complimentary pair. They have a continuous current capability of 15amps. This on paper is 5x the output capability (continuous) per channel, in comparison to the Abrahamsen. The issue is that the transformer used as per pictures (not the manufacturers website) is 250VA. Without knowing the power supply capacitance, it is difficult to determine any limitations.

This is where actual performance tests conducted by Hifi magazines are very helpful, as they will provide peak current capability as measured, and not based on those parameters which present the device/equipment in the best light, where those parameters could never be used in the real world.?

Example, Abrahamsen has a continuous output current of 3amps, whereas the Hegel H80 has a continuous output current of 15amps. But this is on paper, and I expect the Hegel to be less than this, but the figures I have quoted for Abrahamsen are accurate IF the pictures on iqspeakers website are correct.?

Regards,?

Shadders.

Ok, thanks for taking the time!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
shadders said:
Artoo said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

The technical spec is far beyond anything  near the price with a 1000va transformer , 100 amps of peak current delivery and transient power measured in kilowatts.

?
Hi,

Regards, Shadders.

Hi,

From the website picture, the transistors are Toshiba 2SC3421 which have a peak continuous current capability of 1amp, and not 16.65amps. Pulse capability is 2 amps maximum, and safe operating is 3 amps for a one off pulse. This equates to 5 times less than shared 100amps/6=16.65amps.?

i believe that numbers quoted by people or manufacturers need to be reviewed and understood.  The 100amps quoted sounds very impressive, yet the output relay has a maximum capability of 16amps.

Regards,?

Shadders.

Cheers!
Hi,

This is where actual performance tests conducted by Hifi magazines are very helpful, as they will provide peak current capability as measured, and not based on those parameters which present the device/equipment in the best light, where those parameters could never be used in the real world.?

Example, Abrahamsen has a continuous output current of 3amps, whereas the Hegel H80 has a continuous output current of 15amps. But this is on paper, and I expect the Hegel to be less than this, but the figures I have quoted for Abrahamsen are accurate IF the pictures on iqspeakers website are correct.?

Regards,?

Shadders.

Are you 100% the abe has 12 output devices and 100 000uf capcitance and much larger power supply. Thats some serious spec per price point. But im not an amp mechanic so maybe you can share more wisdom

Having said all that ice often wondered why its only 70w per channel.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Who do you think you are?
Behave yourself please its only hifi
Or at least have a little respect
You can't win against TrevC, as he deals in facts; whereas we mere mortals have to make do with our opinions, which can simply be dismissed.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:
Who do you think you are?
Behave yourself please its only hifi
Or at least have a little respect
You can't win against TrevC, as he deals in facts; whereas we mere mortals have to make do with our opinions, which can simply be dismissed.

If you have face book look at the pictures in hegels website room 230 hegel and kef ref looks very nice. Thought you might be interested

Those refs look massive

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
If you have face book look at the pictures in hegels website room 230 hegel and kef ref looks very nice. Thought you might be interested

Those refs look massive
I am not allowed to be interested! *sad*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
shadders said:
Andrewjvt said:
shadders said:
Artoo said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

?
Hi,

Regards, Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,?

Shadders.

Cheers!
Hi,

Regards,?

Shadders.

Are you 100% the abe has 12 output devices and 100 000uf capcitance and much larger power supply. Thats some serious spec per price point. But im not an amp mechanic so maybe you can share more wisdom

Hi,

the figures of 12 output devices, 100,000uF supply capacitance, and 1000VA transformer were provided further up in the thread. The picture on the iqspeakers website shows the same number of output transistors.?

Not sure of the costs, but Farnell may be a place to search for an idea what the costs are for the components.?

With such a large power supply, I am not sure why only 70watts, except that the transistors used may be the limiting factor. What is unusual is that the current capability of the output stage does not meet the 70watts specification. So the picture on the website may be an old one, and the transistors in v2 are not the 2SC3421.?

Regards, ?

Shadders.

These 2 compared the hegel h160 and abrahamsen and they sounded to them identical although the hegel could go slightly lounder due to 150 w.
Both amps well designed. I think though if your looking for an amp under £1000 to drive almost any speaker the abe is a great shout.
That stuff very interesting to me thanks

shadders

Andrewjvt said:
shadders said:
Artoo said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

The technical spec is far beyond anything near the price with a 1000va transformer , 100 amps of peak current delivery and transient power measured in kilowatts.

Hi,

Regards, Shadders.

Hi,

From the website picture, the transistors are Toshiba 2SC3421 which have a peak continuous current capability of 1amp, and not 16.65amps. Pulse capability is 2 amps maximum, and safe operating is 3 amps for a one off pulse. This equates to 5 times less than shared 100amps/6=16.65amps.

i believe that numbers quoted by people or manufacturers need to be reviewed and understood. The 100amps quoted sounds very impressive, yet the output relay has a maximum capability of 16amps.

Regards,

Shadders.

Cheers!
Hi,

This is where actual performance tests conducted by Hifi magazines are very helpful, as they will provide peak current capability as measured, and not based on those parameters which present the device/equipment in the best light, where those parameters could never be used in the real world.

Example, Abrahamsen has a continuous output current of 3amps, whereas the Hegel H80 has a continuous output current of 15amps. But this is on paper, and I expect the Hegel to be less than this, but the figures I have quoted for Abrahamsen are accurate IF the pictures on iqspeakers website are correct.

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

the figures of 12 output devices, 100,000uF supply capacitance, and 1000VA transformer were provided further up in the thread. The picture on the iqspeakers website shows the same number of output transistors.

Not sure of the costs, but Farnell may be a place to search for an idea what the costs are for the components. I checked and for 1kVA, large quantites will probably be less than £60 direct from supplier.

With such a large power supply, I am not sure why only 70watts, except that the transistors used may be the limiting factor. What is unusual is that the current capability of the output stage does not meet the 70watts specification. So the picture on the website may be an old one, and the transistors in v2 are not the 2SC3421. If anyone can confirm, I examined the picture again, and the characters do seem to be...C3421..

Regards,

Shadders.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
shadders said:
Andrewjvt said:
shadders said:
Artoo said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

Hi,

Regards, Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Cheers!
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

the figures of 12 output devices, 100,000uF supply capacitance, and 1000VA transformer were provided further up in the thread. The picture on the iqspeakers website shows the same number of output transistors.

Not sure of the costs, but Farnell may be a place to search for an idea what the costs are for the components. I checked and for 1kVA, large quantites will probably be less than £60 direct from supplier.

With such a large power supply, I am not sure why only 70watts, except that the transistors used may be the limiting factor. What is unusual is that the current capability of the output stage does not meet the 70watts specification. So the picture on the website may be an old one, and the transistors in v2 are not the 2SC3421. If anyone can confirm, I examined the picture again, and the characters do seem to be...C3421..

Regards,

Shadders.
hi i have a Abrahamsen 2up its a very good amp well bulit and if i wanted to put the vol up to max it will go without any issues and 70watts is a true 70watts but i am not the person to explan the specifications to you but Vladimir would be the person to ask he understands the in's and out's but for the money its a steal . but they do 2 amps the normal Abrahamsen amp + the upgraded 2up version which i have which costs £899 new

shadders

Andrewjvt said:
shadders said:
Andrewjvt said:
shadders said:
Artoo said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

Hi,

Regards, Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Cheers!
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Not sure of the costs, but Farnell may be a place to search for an idea what the costs are for the components.

With such a large power supply, I am not sure why only 70watts, except that the transistors used may be the limiting factor. What is unusual is that the current capability of the output stage does not meet the 70watts specification. So the picture on the website may be an old one, and the transistors in v2 are not the 2SC3421.

Regards,

Shadders.

These 2 compared the hegel h160 and abrahamsen and they sounded to them identical although the hegel could go slightly lounder due to 150 w. Both amps well designed. I think though if your looking for an amp under £1000 to drive almost any speaker the abe is a great shout. That stuff very interesting to me thanks
Hi,

can anyone confirm the transistors used for the Abrahamsen v2.0? I must have the transistors wrong.

OR, the picture has only the positive transistors showing, and the negative swing transistors are at the bottom of the heatsink (out of view). This means the continuous throughput of a single channel is 6amps, which will allow for 70watts RMS Power into 8ohms.

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:
Who do you think you are? Behave yourself please its only hifi Or at least have a little respect

Was this a joke?

It's a fact that all amplifier of similar spec sound the same, even tho they clearly don't? And he said he hasn't even heard the abrahmsen.

And it's a fact the story of Jesus was a joke? I'm sorry, but I thought there was no concrete proof either way. He was basing his statement on his opinion. Now that's a fact!

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
shadders said:
Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

Hi,

Regards, Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi Shadders, also if you have time, could you have a look how the roksan k3 compares. Thank you.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
radiorog said:

Was this a joke?

It's a fact that all amplifier of similar spec sound the same, even tho they clearly don't? And he said he hasn't even heard the abrahmsen.

And it's a fact the story of Jesus was a joke? I'm sorry, but I thought there was no concrete proof either way. He was basing his statement on his opinion. Now that's a fact!
I don't think there is anyone on here with whom I agree with less.

Care to explain?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
radiorog said:
 Was this a joke?

I don't think there is anyone on here with whom I disagree more.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
radiorog said:
 Care to explain? 
I don't know what else to say...I totally disagree with TrevC about nearly everything, including his dismissive way of posting....but hey, it takes all sorts to make up a world.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
radiorog said:
Care to explain?
I don't know what else to say...I totally disagree with TrevC about nearly everything, including his dismissive way of posting....but hey, it takes all sorts to make up a world.

Oh, I thought you were referring to me, as you quoted my post. Phew! Stress levels down.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
radiorog said:
CnoEvil said:
radiorog said:
 Care to explain??

Oh, I thought you were referring to me, as you quoted my post. Phew! Stress levels down. 
In my clumsy way, I was trying to be supportive and make the point that arguing with TrevC is a frustrating and futile experience....been there, done that and got the T-shirt.

EDIT. Not that it matters, but I thought that I'd quoted Andrewjvt.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
radiorog said:
CnoEvil said:
radiorog said:
 Care to explain??

Oh, I thought you were referring to me, as you quoted my post. Phew! Stress levels down.?
In my clumsy way, I was trying to be supportive and make the point that arguing with TrevC is a frustrating and futile experience....been there, done that and got the T-shirt.

Thinks its importnat to respect everyones beliefs even if we dont agree as can hurt peoples feelings on such a matter. We are supposed to be talking about electronics haha

Oh not you but trev

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
radiorog said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

?
Hi,

Regards, Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,?

Shadders.

Hi Shadders, also if you have time, could you have a look how the roksan k3 compares. Thank you.

The k2 was also powerful and very sweet sounding but could not handle the dips at higher levels on my kefs as the went as low as 3.2ohms.
When i changed to hegel h160 i could hear the difference but this is not to say the roksan is a bad amp and i enjoyed music very much. I do play quiet loud.

I take it the k3 is n improvement so would like to hear it. The abe wont go as loud as your k3 but may deal better with demanding speakers at higher volume. As long as your happy thats the main thing. Theres always stronger, faster out there no matter what amp you have. There is also a point when all the extra power/current is not required.

K3 Gets great reviews also and looks very well made

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
radiorog said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

Hi,

Regards, Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

I take it the k3 is n improvement so would like to hear it. The abe wont go as loud as your k3 but may deal better with demanding speakers at higher volume. As long as your happy thats the main thing.

K3 Gets great reviews also and looks very well made

You are correct here. I recently did a side by side audition of the k3 and abrahamsen, and one thing did surprise me was that the k3 was quite a bit louder/had more power. Written experience to follow soon, when I get some down time :)

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
radiorog said:
CnoEvil said:
radiorog said:
Care to explain?

Cheers Cno, its a bit like the joys of texting a potential girl/boyfriend/husband wife etc etc.....I'm sure we've all been there at some point. If you haven't, you're doing something right!

shadders

radiorog said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

Hi,

Regards, Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

had a quick check, not able to determine the transistors, but from the picture I did see, 2 pairs per channel (2 for the positive swing, 2 for the negative swing). Most manufacturers use Sanken which have 15Amps current capability each, so 30amps per channel continuous is possible, but probably not sustainable. again, hifi magazine reviews are important to provide the real world results especially with correlation to the THD at high current levels.

.Regards ,

Shadders.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
shadders said:
radiorog said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

Hi,

Regards, Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

had a quick check, not able to determine the transistors, but from the picture I did see, 2 pairs per channel (2 for the positive swing, 2 for the negative swing). Most manufacturers use Sanken which have 15Amps current capability each, so 30amps per channel continuous is possible, but probably not sustainable. again, hifi magazine reviews are important to provide the real world results especially with correlation to the THD at high current levels.

.Regards ,

Shadders.

Cheers mate.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't have photos with good close ups and dissasembled Abrahamsen integrated. The V2.0 UP is based on the Electrocompaniet ECI 3 and ECI 5 (Per Abrahamsen is the founder of both companies), which are based on older designs. Here is the ECI 5 layout that isn't as compactly stacked as the Abrahamsen, so we can see the components used. The cascade of 12 Toshiba transistors are on the top of the heatsink and the main output ones should be one pair per channel ON MJL21194 / 21193 (200 Watts 16A), probably burried at the bottom of the heatsink. These would have been originally Toshiba bi-polars but now replaced by ON Semiconductors due to availability. You could say that the V2.0 UP is an upgraded ECI 3 (transformer and capacitance bank is doubled). The ECI 3 is rated with max peak current of 60 A.

This is a 70's Dr. Matti Otala design. He passed away on August 9th 2015 in Helsinki. An amazing man.

So those are peak values, not continuous, which would be silly with such a small heatsink. The 120Wpc ECI5 has a cooler added to assist it due to this issue. The idea is to have an amplifier that can swiftly track large dynamic swings and impedance dips. It's not meant to be a subwoofer amp for throwing hiphop parties. For such purpose there are proper PA amps with much more output devices and cooling fans.

Anyone interested in this principle can read the Harman Kardon White Paper on HICC (High Instantenious Current Capability). The HK990 can swing up to 200A in peaks, which made it produce significant heat despite the two cooling fans and heatsinks, which ended with premature disappearing from the European hi-fi shops. The HK6900 I had was good for 150A in peaks. This was again design Harman inherited from Dr. Otala from his work on the Citation XX amp.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I don't have photos with good close ups and dissasembled Abrahamsen integrated. The V2.0 UP is based on the Electrocompaniet ECI 3 and ECI 5 (Per Abrahamsen is the founder of both companies), which are based on older designs. Here is the ECI 5 layout that isn't as compactly stacked as the Abrahamsen, so we can see the components used. The cascade of 12 Toshiba transistors are on the top of the heatsink and the main output ones should be one pair per channel ON MJL21194 / 21193 (200 Watts 16A), probably burried at the bottom of the heatsink. These would have been originally Toshiba bi-polars but now replaced by ON Semiconductors due to availability. You could say that the V2.0 UP is an upgraded ECI 3 (transformer and capacitance bank is doubled). The ECI 3 is rated with max peak current of 60 A.

This is a 70's Dr. Matti Otala design. He passed away on August 9th 2015 in Helsinki. An amazing man.

So those are peak values, not continuous, which would be silly with such a small heatsink. The 120Wpc ECI5 has a cooler added to assist it due to this issue. The idea is to have an amplifier that can swiftly track large dynamic swings and impedance dips. It's not meant to be a subwoofer amp for throwing hiphop parties. For such purpose there are proper PA amps with much more output devices and cooling fans.

Anyone interested in this principle can read the Harman Kardon White Paper on HICC (High Instantenious Current Capability). The HK990 can swing up to 200A in peaks, which made it produce significant heat despite the two cooling fans and heatsinks, which ended with premature disappearing from the European hi-fi shops. The HK6900 I had was good for 150A in peaks. This was again design Harman inherited from Dr. Otala from his work on the Citation XX amp

That one also
Sounded like a beast.
Pity it shots at you with fire balls as you sat down lol

Ps i think we should all get to know these specs its very interesting. We all need a amp mechanic course

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts