Hifi amps with true 75Watt RMS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
davedotco said:
Given the application maybe a power amp would do the job....*unknw*

Something like a Crown XLS1500, plenty of power which the speakers will love, reliable and a shade over £300 if you shop arround.

looks like OP understands very well the purpose of the amplifier so recommending pro grade amps makes sense as well as is a far better choice than hifi amps.

Mmmhh, they may call those Crown amplifiers 'professional' as are many of its ilk but I have a feeling these will be more used for PA purposes. Even then probably more for your average husband and wife duo for Friday evening pub events rather than any serious studio applications.

Compare the specs (other than power rating) with something like a Hypex NC400 Ncore module as used in good hifi amplifiers and the Crown's figures (other than power on paper) suddenly don't look so convincing anymore. The same can be said for other good Hifi amplifiers of more conventional topology which may lack the sheer grunt but make up for it in other critical areas.

Personally I'd probably keep away from ultra cheap 'pro' stuff for hifi applications.

On the other hand, there are studios that use well known High-End products such as Classe for final mixing, probably more a benchmark than the afromentioned Crown amplifier.

If you only want to play loud though ... why not.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
lejockey said:
I dont have ears that can really hear the difference between amps, unless they are really shoddy designs (amstrad lol) of course, but so long as the power is there that should be enough for me :)

I am currently running them of a prosound cheap PA amp, and my mate had no idea until the fan came on! Thats the main reason for buying a hifi amp with enough juice.

Will look in to the naim, and the Nad, Yamaha have been making good pro kit for years, not sure why people are so averse to theme in the consumer market.

Thanks everyone for the advice :)

Nobody really has ears that can tell the difference between expensive and inexpensive amplifiers of similar power and distortion levels. Not without using their eyes as well. :O)

Are you saying there is no audible difference between a rega elex r, a brio r, a marantz @70w, an abrehamsen, a roksan k3, Yamaha?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The amplifier I mentioned is in their budget range and can be bought for a little over £300. There are better models but naturally more expensive.

The OP does not want them for hi-fi listening and appears to need reasonable levels, the kind of levels that most £300 hi-fi amps will not produce without considerable strain.

Playing 'dub' at any kind of level through ATC speakers is going to need power, a 75 watt hi-fi amplifier is not going to come close.

TrevC

Andrewjvt said:
TrevC said:
lejockey said:
I dont have ears that can really hear the difference between amps, unless they are really shoddy designs (amstrad lol) of course, but so long as the power is there that should be enough for me :)

I am currently running them of a prosound cheap PA amp, and my mate had no idea until the fan came on! Thats the main reason for buying a hifi amp with enough juice.

Will look in to the naim, and the Nad, Yamaha have been making good pro kit for years, not sure why people are so averse to theme in the consumer market.

Nobody really has ears that can tell the difference between expensive and inexpensive amplifiers of similar power and distortion levels. Not without using their eyes as well. :O)

I had a listen to the new audiolab with dali opticon 6 and it sounded really weak and thin

Well done!

TrevC

radiorog said:
TrevC said:
lejockey said:

Are you saying there is no audible difference between a rega elex r, a brio r, a marantz @70w, an abrehamsen, a roksan k3, Yamaha?

Differences could probably be measured, but I doubt anyone can hear differences between similar power amplifiers with a flat response and low distortion. It's more down to the way it looks. What Hifi can't really hear differences. We know this.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
radiorog said:
TrevC said:
lejockey said:

Differences could probably be measured, but I doubt anyone can hear differences between similar power amplifiers with a flat response and low distortion. It's more down to the way it looks. What Hifi can't really hear differences. We know this.

Similar powered amplifiers, maybe say a NAD 326 and an abrehamsen, no audible differences? I understand what you are saying about similar power and low distortion, but in the real world aren't most amps made differently with slightly varying specs? Can you name some amps you would expect to sou d the same as an abrehamsen?

Personally I heard slight differences between rega brio r and NAD 326, and I'm sure most people could. A NAD 326 and abrahmsen, night and day differences.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
Andrewjvt said:
TrevC said:
lejockey said:
I dont have ears that can really hear the difference between amps, unless they are really shoddy designs (amstrad lol) of course, but so long as the power is there that should be enough for me :)?

?

I am currently running them of a prosound cheap PA amp, and my mate had no idea until the fan came on! Thats the main reason for buying a hifi amp with enough juice.?

?

?

?

I had a listen to the new audiolab with dali opticon 6 and it sounded really weak and thin

Well done!

For what?

TrevC

radiorog said:
TrevC said:
radiorog said:
TrevC said:
lejockey said:

Similar powered amplifiers, maybe say a NAD 326 and an abrehamsen, no audible differences? I understand what you are saying about similar power and low distortion, but in the real world aren't most amps made differently with slightly varying specs? Can you name some amps you would expect to sou d the same as an abrehamsen?

Personally I heard slight differences between rega brio r and NAD 326, and I'm sure most people could. A NAD 326 and abrahmsen, night and day differences.

I can hear night and day differences in loudspeakers, but claiming night and day differnces between two amplifiers of similar spec is just hyperbole. One would need to be engineered to sound different or worse, like the Croft efforts, or basically flawed like SET amplifiers.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Trev, with respect, you havent answered my questions tho. Similar amps you expect to abrahamsen?
Night and day differences between nad 326 and abrahamsen are very real. Would you dispute this? Sure,they all play the same music, so will sound 99% similar, but the 1% differences that most of us hear, and lead us to strive to get the best equipment we can afford, is real, and has a huge effect on overall listening, for most of us.

TrevC

radiorog said:
Trev, with respect, you havent answered my questions tho. Similar amps you expect to abrahamsen? Night and day differences between nad 326 and abrahamsen are very real. Would you dispute this? Sure,they all play the same music, so will sound 99% similar, but the 1% differences that most of us hear, and lead us to strive to get the best equipment we can afford, is real, and has a huge effect on overall listening, for most of us.

I have never heard an Abrahamson, but if it's anything like his silly god he can keep his amplifiers.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:

I have never heard an Abrahamson, but if it's anything like his silly god he can keep his amplifiers.

I do respect everyone's opinion - I am not sure if the above is a typo or what? - explain?

Fwiw - I haven't heard that large a range of amps - but there are differences. Even if the differences are small it does matter if you listen everyday to your music. System/room synergy counts for a lot too.

tonky

TrevC

tonky said:
TrevC said:

I do respect everyone's opinion - I am not sure if the above is a typo or what? - explain?

Fwiw - I haven't heard that large a range of amps - but there are differences. Even if the differences are small it does matter if you listen everyday to your music. System/room synergy counts for a lot too.

tonky

OK, I looked them (Abrahamsen) up. Made in China stuff, looks pretty so will automatically 'sound' good in sighted testing. Unfortunately they also market foo wire, a major negative in terms of credibility IMO. I have never heard any, but then I only ever hear stuff that goes faulty.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
TrevC said:

OK, I looked them (Abrahamsen) up. Made in China stuff, looks pretty so will automatically 'sound' good in sighted testing. Unfortunately they also market foo wire, a major negative in terms of credibility IMO. I have never heard any, but then I only ever hear stuff that goes faulty.

Abrahamsen amplifiers are all made in Sweden and it is unlikely that you will ever hear an Abrahamsen amp in that case .

The technical spec is far beyond anything near the price with a 1000va transformer , 100 amps of peak current delivery and transient power measured in kilowatts.

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!abrahamsen/ckbj

shadders

Electro said:
TrevC said:

Abrahamsen amplifiers are all made in Sweden and it is unlikely that you will ever hear an Abrahamsen amp in that case .

The technical spec is far beyond anything near the price with a 1000va transformer , 100 amps of peak current delivery and transient power measured in kilowatts.

Hi,

Is that 100amps per channel, or from the power supply? I examined the Web site and it seems that there are 3 power transistors per positive or negative swing of the waveform. I am not sure each could withstand 33.3amps each, even as a transient.

Regards,

Shadders.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

Hi,

Is that 100amps per channel, or from the power supply? I examined the Web site and it seems that there are 3 power transistors per positive or negative swing of the waveform. I am not sure each could withstand 33.3amps each, even as a transient.

Regards,

Shadders.

There are a total of 12 output transistors .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
radiorog said:
Trev, with respect, you havent answered my questions tho. Similar amps you expect to abrahamsen? Night and day differences between nad 326 and abrahamsen are very real. Would you dispute this? Sure,they all play the same music, so will sound 99% similar, but the 1% differences that most of us hear, and lead us to strive to get the best equipment we can afford, is real, and has a huge effect on overall listening, for most of us.

Who do you think you are?
Behave yourself please its only hifi
Or at least have a little respect

TrevC

Andrewjvt said:
TrevC said:
radiorog said:

Who do you think you are? Behave yourself please its only hifi Or at least have a little respect

Apologies, I don't want to upset a real amplifier manufacturer by comparing them to any imaginary being. It was, like Jesus himself, only a joke.

TrevC

Electro said:
TrevC said:

I stand corrected, but why would you need industrial levels of audio power in your living room? Are you a bit mutton?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
TrevC said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

I stand corrected, but why would you need industrial levels of audio power in your living room? Are you a bit mutton?

Incredible dynamic power and zero transient distortion and a complete absence of clipping distortion right up to it's maximium output into any load down to below 0.5 of an ohm .

It is not about overall power output but preserving transients .

ADSR_zps1wbt22pd.png

shadders

Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

Hi,

Regards, Shadders.

Hi,

there are 6 transistors per channel, where only 3 conduct at one time per channel. Assuming each channel is on the positive swing then each transistor will have to conduct 16.65amps each to achieve the 100amps quoted.

From the website picture, the transistors are Toshiba 2SC3421 which have a peak continuous current capability of 1amp, and not 16.65amps. Pulse capability is 2 amps maximum, and safe operating is 3 amps for a one off pulse. This equates to 5 times less than shared 100amps/6=16.65amps.

i believe that numbers quoted by people or manufacturers need to be reviewed and understood. The 100amps quoted sounds very impressive, yet the output relay has a maximum capability of 16amps.

One channel has a maximum peak output of 9 amps (based on transistors) as a single non repeatable transient.

Or 6amps as a repeated pulse on the output.

Or 3amps continuous per channel, which is 6amps continuous per amplifier (both channels).

Much less than the quoted 100amps.

Regards,

Shadders.

TrevC

shadders said:
Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

Hi,

Regards, Shadders.

Hi,

there are 6 transistors per channel, where only 3 conduct at one time per channel. Assuming each channel is on the positive swing then each transistor will have to conduct 16.65amps each to achieve the 100amps quoted.

From the website picture, the transistors are Toshiba 2SC3421 which have a peak continuous current capability of 1amp, and not 16.65amps. Pulse capability is 2 amps maximum, and safe operating is 3 amps for a one off pulse. This equates to 5 times less than shared 100amps/6=16.65amps.

i believe that numbers quoted by people or manufacturers need to be reviewed and understood. The 100amps quoted sounds very impressive, yet the output relay has a maximum capability of 16amps.

One channel has a maximum peak output of 9 amps (based on transistors) as a single non repeatable transient.

Or 3amps continuous per channel, which is 6amps continuous per amplifier (both channels).

Regards,

Shadders.

Not dissimilar to the current dumping Quads from 1975.

Artoo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
shadders said:
Electro said:
shadders said:
Electro said:
TrevC said:

The technical spec is far beyond anything  near the price with a 1000va transformer , 100 amps of peak current delivery and transient power measured in kilowatts.

?
Hi,

Regards, Shadders.

Hi,

From the website picture, the transistors are Toshiba 2SC3421 which have a peak continuous current capability of 1amp, and not 16.65amps. Pulse capability is 2 amps maximum, and safe operating is 3 amps for a one off pulse. This equates to 5 times less than shared 100amps/6=16.65amps.?

i believe that numbers quoted by people or manufacturers need to be reviewed and understood.  The 100amps quoted sounds very impressive, yet the output relay has a maximum capability of 16amps.

Regards,?

Shadders.

Interesting. If you have the time, could you please look into the Hegel H80 and see how it compares to the Abrahamsen?

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts