Need advice in buying first hifi system

css147

Apr 14, 2023
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am a beginner audiophile and I have been listening to music using Sennheiser hd560 headphones with ifi hip dac. Now I am looking to buy my first budget 2-channel hifi system.

I will be streaming music from online sources like amazon music and Spotify. I would also connect the system to TV to improve its sound. I do not plan to use any vinyl or cd sources at the moment. Music type will be mostly old songs, instrumental, Western orchestra, and sometimes English rock music.

I have been going through lot of reviews and have put together a shortlist for integrated amplifier+bookshelf system based on online reviews and recommendations from 1-2 dealers. I am hoping that members here would be able to guide me in fixing the configuration

For amplifier with online streaming, I am considering the following options:

a) Marantz NR1200 stereo receiver
b) Marantz PM6007 + a budget streamer like WiiM mini or something else
c) Marantz PM7000N

For bookshelf speakers, I am considering Elac b5.2 or b6.2

Which of the above integrated amplifier options should I choose? Or some other amplifier option would be better?

For speakers should I go with Elac bookshelf speakers or some other option?

Thank you for your input

Reactions: matthewpianist

matthewpianist

Welcome to the forum, it's good to have you here, and there's plenty of people here who will give you good advice.

I'd go for either the PM6007 + streamer, or the PM7000N. Both will give you very good sound for the money, and it really comes down to whether you want the streaming built-in or whether you want to keep that outboard for greater flexibility (you won't be limited to the HEOS platform). There's also the PMA-900HNE, Denon's equivalent of the PM7000N. It has a very similar feature set but some key differences.

Alternatives? The NAD D3020 v2.0 is worth exploring. It's very good and combined with a Bluesound Node streamer it would make for a very compact but high performing system. It could well be everything you need, and the advantage over the Marantz and Denon options is that the Bluetooth is aptX rather than the lower quality version on those amps. I would also suggest trying the Audiolab 6000A. I got off to a bit of a strange start with it and rushed to disregarding it, but sitting down and listening properly last night showed me what extraordinary things it is capable of at its price. It has aptX HD Bluetooth built-in and a very good DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) - the Bluesound Node streamer sounds far better through it than when using its own DAC.

Your choice of speakers depends on the room and how you can position them. Elacs are a good choice, but I'd also suggest listening to offerings from Dali and Q Acoustics. The Dali Spektor 2s are a bargain, but performance rises even further if you can reach to the Oberon range - the Oberon 1s for a small room, or the Oberon 3s if its a bigger space.

The Q Acoustics 3000i range has speakers of all sizes to offer, and I'm familiar with them all. The 3020i are a sweet spot and the closest equivalent to the Elacs you have mentioned. The 3050i I have are floorstanders and need careful placement and an amplifier that can control them to achieve the deep but tuneful and textured bass of which they are capable.

I've long been a fan of both brands and have owned Qs going right back to their first range (the 1000 series). I've had several Dalis also (Lektor 2, Spektor 2, Zensor 1, Zensor 3, Oberon 5), and they are consistently good. If you have any challenges in positioning the speakers Dali make a particularly good option as their wide dispersion tweeters make them less fussy without compromising the musical outcome.

Once you've refined your shortlist audition the options at a local dealer. Concentrate on what brings you the most musical enjoyment, and if it's different to what the dealer prefers go with your own response. A good dealer will encourage this.

Hello everyone,

I am a beginner audiophile and I have been listening to music using Sennheiser hd560 headphones with ifi hip dac. Now I am looking to buy my first budget 2-channel hifi system.

I will be streaming music from online sources like amazon music and Spotify. I would also connect the system to TV to improve its sound. I do not plan to use any vinyl or cd sources at the moment. Music type will be mostly old songs, instrumental, Western orchestra, and sometimes English rock music.

I have been going through lot of reviews and have put together a shortlist for integrated amplifier+bookshelf system based on online reviews and recommendations from 1-2 dealers. I am hoping that members here would be able to guide me in fixing the configuration

For amplifier with online streaming, I am considering the following options:

a) Marantz NR1200 stereo receiver
b) Marantz PM6007 + a budget streamer like WiiM mini or something else
c) Marantz PM7000N

For bookshelf speakers, I am considering Elac b5.2 or b6.2

Which of the above integrated amplifier options should I choose? Or some other amplifier option would be better?

For speakers should I go with Elac bookshelf speakers or some other option?

Thank you for your input
Howdie and welcome to house of fun.

If it was my money I would go for the Marantz PM 7000N, purely because you get all the goodies in one package and designed to synergise well together, but if box count isn't an issue, as Matthew suggested, 6007 and the Wiim could be a winning combo.

Another suggestion is Marantz Melody

Reactions: hifi and WayneKerr

Gray

I have been listening to music using Sennheiser hd560 headphones
Well you were off to a good start with those, I'll tell you that for nothing 👍

Personally, I would keep streamer and amp separate.
If you could listen to your options, preferably in your own room, it would be beneficial.

If you can match the neutrality (and value) of your headphones you will have done well.

Good luck.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
There is also the AudioLab 6000a Play. I have the AudioLab 6000a (with Wiim Mini) and it is extraordinary. The Marantz and Denon may well be just as good, I’ve not heard them. Marantz is a Japanese brand, along with Denon, and my experience is that Japanese products are more reliable.

I tend to agree with Gray to keep the streamer separate, however some amp plus streamer systems are good value.

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
There is also the AudioLab 6000a Play. I have the AudioLab 6000a (with Wiim Mini) and it is extraordinary. The Marantz and Denon may well be just as good, I’ve not heard them. Marantz is a Japanese brand, along with Denon, and my experience is that Japanese products are more reliable.

I tend to agree with Gray to keep the streamer separate, however some amp plus streamer systems are good value.
Marantz. Is usa

WayneKerr

Yes, American owned until 2001 when it became Japanese owned, then in 2017 it was sold to an American company. Phew. Lord knows where the design is done, probably manufactured in Vietnam or such like.
Been owned by several conglomerates over the years, including Philips. Every bit of Marantz kit I've owned has been made in Japan, except the turntable - made in Germany. Think the budget end are now made in Vietnam or PRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

Gray

Well, he managed a single post 7 months ago - but it seems it was too much trouble for him to return.

Look at Matt's detailed reply (post #2) for example.
How can that not even get a response from the person it was intended to help?

Honestly, short of him having died, there's no excuse.

There are some really strange people in this world. Fortunately they're in the minority.

Well, he managed a single post 7 months ago - but it seems it was too much trouble for him to return.

There are some really strange people in this world. Fortunately they're in the minority.
It is a tad annoying I agree but we don't know his current circumstances nor those after April 14th.
It will be very interesting to see if he ever does return.

Reactions: Gray

Friesiansam

Common problem with forums, if they don't get the answer they want in 5 minutes, they're off and never seen again.

Reactions: Gray

Fandango Andy

More often than not components aren't better or worse, they are just different. Some are more dynamic, others have more clarity etc. It's fine for people to give you advice, but you may prefer a different sound. It's all about auditioning equipment.

You have some great components listed, and lots of recommendations here. Go find a friendly hifi shop, ask to listen to a few of the systems, and ask them what they recommend in the budget. Then go along armed with a handful of recordings you know well and that cover the dynamic range of what you listen to.
Finally, remember your room will massively impact the sound. Play around with speaker placement and room treatment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts