Hifi amps with true 75Watt RMS

lejockey

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I am loking for a hifi amp which can put out a true &%watt continuous onto nominal 8ohm load. Something that isn't going to break the bank. Any suggestions? Its for a pair of ATC SCM11s

Thanks

A quality set of speakers like the atc's deserves a quality amp to really get the best out of them,you might not like what you hear otherwise,i'd suggest amps from abrahamsen(never heard one but buyers seem to love them)cyrus,naim,leema to name but a few and i wouldn't put that yamaha on the list ,it simply isn't good enough for those speakers..

lejockey

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I dont have ears that can really hear the difference between amps, unless they are really shoddy designs (amstrad lol) of course, but so long as the power is there that should be enough for me :)

I am currently running them of a prosound cheap PA amp, and my mate had no idea until the fan came on! Thats the main reason for buying a hifi amp with enough juice.

Will look in to the naim, and the Nad, Yamaha have been making good pro kit for years, not sure why people are so averse to theme in the consumer market.

Thanks everyone for the advice :)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
if yes then one of the 2 cheapest is pioneer a-30 according to lab test Pioneer A-30 power is 2 x 72 watts @ 8 Ohms and 2 x 107 watts @ 4 Ohms, got excellent noise and dynamics results...

the other? behringer a500

http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
lejockey said:
I dont have ears that can really hear the difference between amps, unless they are really shoddy designs (amstrad lol) of course, but so long as the power is there that should be enough for me :)

I am currently running them of a prosound cheap PA amp, and my mate had no idea until the fan came on! Thats the main reason for buying a hifi amp with enough juice.

Will look in to the naim, and the Nad, Yamaha have been making good pro kit for years, not sure why people are so averse to theme in the consumer market.

I feel a little amp debate coming up and feel I can deconstructively (!) contribute with my Friday rage :)

Mind, TrevC will probably agree with you.

If you are not bothered about the quality of the amplifier there are many cheap alternatives which give you your 75w/8ohm 'continued' delivery, including a whole raft of relatively cheap AV receivers etc.

You may experience increased distortion and problems driving lower loads (tip, go and look at speaker measurements). If you are really lucky you get both.

Having said all that, I can't remember the ATC being a particularely though load other than being inefficient.

Also, where does the 75W come into it? (I actually think its a decent amount of powerf for home purpose even with a less sensitive design such as the ATC unless you want to shake walls in which case you probably need to look at least twice better three or four times the power but would you really use an SC11 then?).

Anyways, to actually say something which may help, I'd choose a cyrus series 8 amplifier.

They have very low distortion, are load tolerant and have decent dynamic headroom. However, I have not heard one with ATC's so that is simply a biased opinion based on cyrus ownership.

gasolin

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The SCM11s are not a difficult load but they are inefficient as suggested. For going louder I'd look into: Cambridge Audio Azur 851A, Rotel RA-1570, Anthem Integrated 225, Yamaha A-S2000, Roksan Kandy K2, NAD C 375BEE, Harman Kardon HK990.

The sweetspot in the middle with performance and value for money IMO - Marantz PM8005.

If you plan on upgrading your speakers in the future and you don't want to constrain yourself if they are a difficult load, you can get an Abrahamsen or Hegel, as they will drive anything. The HK990 is also a champ but I don't think is still in the shops.

TrevC

lejockey said:

Nobody really has ears that can tell the difference between expensive and inexpensive amplifiers of similar power and distortion levels. Not without using their eyes as well. :O)

lejockey

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
The load is pretty easy. just innefcient. 75w rms was the recomended as enough to get a decent level without risk of clipping the amp.

I am just after something with low THD etc. These are just portable speakers for when I take my dubplate lathe on the road. I have a couple of pairs of SCM50s in the main studio so the 11s will stay boxed most of the time. Just had them out to give them a test run. They are cracking speakers, maintain all the characterstics of the bigger ATCs but arent too pricey.

Amp budget would probably be around the £300 mark. Will have a look at all the suggestions put forward. Thanks for the responses guys.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Given the application maybe a power amp would do the job....*unknw*

Something like a Crown XLS1500, plenty of power which the speakers will love, reliable and a shade over £300 if you shop arround.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
lpv said:
if yes then one of the 2 cheapest is pioneer a-30 according to lab test Pioneer A-30 power is 2 x 72 watts @ 8 Ohms and 2 x 107 watts @ 4 Ohms, got excellent noise and dynamics results...

I believe OP asked for ' true watt continuous' amp recommendations.. therefore I recommended amp which according to lab test results can produce 72 watts per channel @ 8 Ohms..

The pioneer only got 2x40 watt in 8 ohm and 2x70 watt in 4 ohm 20-20.000hz

http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/sites/default/files/datasheets/english/A-30.pdf

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
lpv said:

The pioneer only got 2x40 watt in 8 ohm and 2x70 watt in 4 ohm 20-20.000hz

http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/sites/default/files/datasheets/english/A-30.pdf

I believe OP asked for ' true watt continuous' amp recommendations.. therefore I recommended amp which according to lab test results can produce 72 watts per channel @ 8 Ohms..

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Given the application maybe a power amp would do the job....*unknw*

Something like a Crown XLS1500, plenty of power which the speakers will love, reliable and a shade over £300 if you shop arround.

looks like OP understands very well the purpose of the amplifier so recommending pro grade amps makes sense as well as is a far better choice than hifi amps.

TrevC

Mark Rose-Smith said:
A quality set of speakers like the atc's deserves a quality amp to really get the best out of them,you might not like what you hear otherwise,i'd suggest amps from abrahamsen(never heard one but buyers seem to love them)cyrus,naim,leema to name but a few and i wouldn't put that yamaha on the list ,it simply isn't good enough for those speakers..

Nonsense. The Yamaha will do a great job, as good as any other amplifier that can provide 85 watts RMS per channel at low distortion. It has a remote, what more could one ask for?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
lejockey said:
I dont have ears that can really hear the difference between amps, unless they are really shoddy designs (amstrad lol) of course, but so long as the power is there that should be enough for me :)?

?

I am currently running them of a prosound cheap PA amp, and my mate had no idea until the fan came on! Thats the main reason for buying a hifi amp with enough juice.?

?

?

?

Nobody really has ears that can tell the difference between expensive and inexpensive amplifiers of similar power and distortion levels. Not without using their eyes as well. :O)

I had a listen to the new audiolab with dali opticon 6 and it sounded really weak and thin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts