Hi Fi you REGRETTED buying!!!!!!!!!

Fred24

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
To some extent we have all in the past bought hifi items which we regretted investing money in. perhaps other will like to share their experience.

Mine will be the Arcam rpac. Bought it in 2012, return it because it was faulty. got a new one and the same thing occur: which is the ad hoc cut off whilst listening music. It was supposed to be a plug and play device. But the frequency of the device being cut off is unaccepted. Despite all the rave and faff about how great this product is; but no one had cared to mention this aspect in their review. The problem mentioned about this product is not unheard and uncommon on this forum. I will be understandable if one was using a foreign computer and software..but its only pc window 7 and foobar 2000 yet it cant deliver..now there is a new firmware to sort out issues with newer window 8 but again didn’t resolve the initial problem.

I hope other will share their experience with other products they have regretted buying perhaps others have had the same experience and managed to remedy it..

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Arcam rDAC for me...

Bought in Oct 2010... Sold it off 2 months later...

cracking sound was produced when connected to CDP or iMac.

and no sound improvement was noticeable.

also monster dr. Dre Beat Studio headphones... Purchase in Dubai airport during my flight home to KL.. Faulty out of the box... Had to send it back to Netherlands... For them to send me a new one ... Had to cough up 50 quid for incoming customs tax.... Just to receive a broken piece as well...

sold it off cheap...

these are 2 regrets that made me never to purchase monster and arcam products again...

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I was going to say rdac too. But after first two posts feels like I'm putting the boot in.

First one was rattly inside, so had replacement. Didn't last long and replaced by a MF M1.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Nothing much really.

With hindsight a few unecessarily poncey cables over the years but nothing too expensive (by today's standards).

An Audio-Technica high-output MC cartridge back in the 1980s (that sounded like it used wet felt instead of a diamond) but I was shot of that very quickly and got an Ortofon high-output MC (I forget which) that sounded superb.

Oh yeah, some Kef Coda IIs that I owned for a couple of days before taking them back and exchanging for some speakers instead :)

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Audiolab 8200CD.

Wasn't able to do a proper audition, but found the review descriptions enticing. Found it to be cold, clinical, uninvolving, unmusical, and quite a few other ill defined and subjective adjectives. It then broke, the dealer took it back, sent it to Audiolab, and weeks later I got it back. Happily by that time I'd replaced it with something else.
smiley-laughing.gif

It's still in the loft.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Arcam Rdac (most dacs will beat it)

Yamaha A-S500 (almost unlistenable)

Dynaudio Excite X 12 speakers (very, very overrated in my opinion)

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Honestly nothing really. If pushed I'd say my Beresford dac but our key because shortly after I bought a squeezebox and the dac inside was comparable so money could've been better spent.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
For me MISSION MX5 speakers bought it based on the excellent review in WHF here . replaced it after a year: the bass was too "boomy" ,

poor sound stage , no details, no separation between instruments and in general "muddy" sound .replaced them for the Proac Studio 140MK2 and absolutely happy with them .

rrm

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Arcam A 60: not nearly enough power to control my spendor Bc1s so I sold the spendors . Big mistake plus they are now worth 2-3 times what I paid for them new!

Sumiko blue point special mc cartridge. much worse than the linn mm K 9 it replaced. But I had upgraditis.

All part of the learning curve......

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Audiotronic Cassette Deck in the 70s, that sounded good, but gave a lot of trouble.

I have been happy with all purchases since then.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Cypher said:
Arcam Rdac (most dacs will beat it)

Yamaha A-S500 (almost unlistenable)

Dynaudio Excite X 12 speakers (very, very overrated in my opinion)

Yamaha A-S500 YES Totaly agreed with you!!! After the demo runed away from it!

But...

Can desagreed more with the Dynaudios Excite X12!

For me the best speakers I've demo in this budget!

5 stars What Hi-Fi Review

Product of the Year for Stereophile Magazine 2010

Sorry but I'm not the only one judging highly this set of speakers!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The Q Acoustics 1010i centre speaker in their 5.1 surround system. The centre speaker didn't sound the same as the other four 1010i surround speakers. When I sold the centre speaker and replaced it with a fifth 1010i speaker to match the rest the overall sound was much better.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Rega Planar 2, bought at the peak of the hype back in the early 80s.

Sounded significantly less good than my Dual 505/nagoyoka combo so I returned it and retrieved my Dual but this left me with a substantial credit with the dealer.

Used it to buy an Audiolab to replace my Nad 3020, you can probably guess how that worked out...... :wall:

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I haven't regretted any of my HiFi purchases yet :cheer:

Although I was considering buying an Arcam irDAC, I'll have to carefully audition it* after some of the comments here.

*I was going to anyway

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
No. Even a product I didn't really gravitate to it all adds to the experience....

Exactly. Every piece of kit I've owned and auditioned has added to my education.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts