Hi Fi you REGRETTED buying!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
My regrets are two fold!

I had an Arcam A85, P85, and CD82 for a few years. Got bored of them (I think most people will agree the Arcam sound isnt overly exciting), so decided I needed something a little more lively.

Auditioned a Naim Nait 5i and CD5i in the shop (at high volumes) and found it really entertaining. Bought it, brought it home, and after a couple of months realised it was a big mistake! Naim is certainly an acquired taste, and given my "I want something more exciting" requirement, in the demo it seemed to tick all the boxes. However, I found I just couldnt live with the Naim sound day to day, just found it exhausting.

So after being bitten, I hastily went back to the familiar. Sold the Naim on eBay and bought another set of Arcam. Oh no, even bigger mistake, all that rebuying Arcam did was remind me how boring they are. Guess what, sold them too - and since then I have had the Cyrus system, which suits me perfectly.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Sospri said:
My worst purchase was Grado SR60i headphones, after much hype on reviews here and elsehere, I found to be very trebly and sibilent so sold them off on the bay.

Very happy now with my Beyers, very happy with the rest of my kit..............

Suprised to hear that - I have the SR80s, which are probably one of my favourite purchases.

racey43

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Apart from wasting money on cables and power leads :oops: , my biggest disappointment was a Slee Solo headphone amp. I desperately wanted to like it but it was no different to the headphone socket on a Yamaha AV amp I had at the time.

I tried it out with friends and family too and they noticed no difference either. It cost about £450.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
DIB said:
Probably my Naim Uniti when they first came out. There was a 10% off everything deal at Audio T and I went to demo a Naim 5i amp. I ended up demoing the Uniti as well, and the WOW factor kicked in and I rather foolishly signed up for it there and then on a buy now, pay 12 months later deal. Wrong move, 12 months came around and I had to offload the Uniti as I had more pressing demands for my money. Luckily I only lost £200 on the deal. Cracking piece of kit though.

PS: Going against the grain in this thread but my rDAC works perfectly well, and the wireless function works a treat with my laptop.

Ha! did exactly the same thing (even the Audio-t finance deal) with my Uniti, only I lost £250! :(

Agree about the rDAC, found it really good with the Sonos and laptop........

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
mitch65 said:
DIB said:
Probably my Naim Uniti when they first came out. There was a 10% off everything deal at Audio T and I went to demo a Naim 5i amp. I ended up demoing the Uniti as well, and the WOW factor kicked in and I rather foolishly signed up for it there and then on a buy now, pay 12 months later deal. Wrong move, 12 months came around and I had to offload the Uniti as I had more pressing demands for my money. Luckily I only lost £200 on the deal. Cracking piece of kit though.

PS: Going against the grain in this thread but my rDAC works perfectly well, and the wireless function works a treat with my laptop.

Ha! did exactly the same thing (even the Audio-t finance deal) with my Uniti, only I lost £250! :(

You're never too old to live and learn
smiley-embarassed.gif
You should have seen my wifes face when I told her. "It costs how much!!!"

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
A very long time ago I bought a 'Direct Designs' direct-drive turntable - this was before everyone had decided direct drive was crap, as it was recommended by one of the hi-fi magazines. It was a UK product (with a bought-in motor) and came with a Formula 4 arm, which was fine. However, the speed control on the turntable was way off. There was a strobe pattern around the edge, and it was impossible to get it to fix at the correct speed - or any speed, it speeded up and slowed down continuously. I returned it for repair, but it was never very good.

Some time later I bought a 'Metrosound' amplifier after a good review in a magazine. This was flat with slider controls. It looked good, but had a background hiss. I also made a turntable from a Connoiseur BD1 kit - it worked, but not as well as the Thorens turntable I sold a few years earlier!

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The first iteration of the Audiolab 8000A - its RIAA curve rolled off the bass too much - went back to my Sansui AU217. Sold the Audiolab back to Reading Cassette after a week. Lost 10% so got no more than my fingers burnt.

I do smirk everytime I see someone wearing those cr*p Dr DREadfuls - they are not cheap but hey, you cannot put a price on fitting in with the not-so-in-but-shite-crowd, can you now?

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
An Aiwa cassette deck, can't remember model number now, but it had Dolby C and IIRC a system that automatically set the bias depending on the type of tape you used. Dolby C pumped and after only a few months use started chewing up tapes.

A Memorex branded CD deck from Tandy to replace my faulty Philips which kept burning out it's lasers, thinking all CD players were basically the same. Nope sounded harsh compared with Philips when it was working and refused to play a good number of my discs.

Squeezebox touch possibly faulty , but kept stopping playing in middle of tracks replaced with Cambridge Audio NP30 which has been functioning flawlessly.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
DIB said:
mitch65 said:
DIB said:

[/quote

You should have seen my wifes face when I told her. "It costs how much!!!"

Oh I know that look only too well!

Just thinking about it, I was lucky to have only lost £250 only reason being that the cost of a new uniti had increased to £2250!......cheers Naim you did me a big favour :grin:

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Monitor Audio RX1. Lesson learnt: Don't listen to speakers set up in the middle of a demo room and then stick 'em in corners at home.

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
A lot of people seem dissapointed with the Arcam rDac - is it really that bad? I'm currently selling my Benchmark Dac1 in favour of the rDac due to its good reviews/wireless capability (PC and hifi now on opposite sides of the room and this option is far cheaper than running coax or optical around the room).

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Cpt.Issues said:
A lot of people seem dissapointed with the Arcam rDac - is it really that bad? I'm currently selling my Benchmark Dac1 in favour of the rDac due to its good reviews/wireless capability (PC and hifi now on opposite sides of the room and this option is far cheaper than running coax or optical around the room).

well... mine is fine:)

Rotel RA-11 ! bought it without audition with high expectatios and it turned to be very unmusical performer. didn't like it from day one... it was probably faulty as was clipping as hell on some tunes.

... and yes, cables ! spend more then 20% of the whole system on it and can't hear the glorious difference.

will go with actives next, but will also go and audition first.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
This might shock many!

But the worst piece of Hi Fi that I've ever purchased would be Naim... Hard coming from me as I was a Naim fan for quite a while... But clearly that was the worst consumer experiece I have ever had from a product!

First with the Nait 5i-2, then the CD5i-2 as well...

Then the XS Series...

The Nait 5i Integrated amplifier had a very rare unusual problem of producing a crackle/buzz/static through the left speaker when the volume was increased by way of the remote control. The static was audible from the 9 O' Clock position and became unbearable from when it reached the 12 O' Clock position. Initially I thought it was the speaker after talking to my dealer who also thought it would be the speaker, however, a simple switch of loudspeaker cables from left to right revealed that it was the amplifier. I spoke to the dealer who clearly wasn't aware of the issue, nor was the distributor, and nor was Naim Audio in the UK. I confirmed this by talking to the Customer Service gentleman at Naim Audio himself, who himself was puzzled and mentioned he had never come across the issue before. The distributor then opened a new Nait and experimented the same thing, and realised that the problem existed with that piece as well. After a few days, I received an email from the dealer with an excerpt from who seemed to be an inner engineer at naim, who admitted that he knew about it and the problem existed in every Nait 5i manufactured! And also said that the problem affected a Nait XS as well and that it was the first time that a customer had complained of it, but it existed for god knows how long...! So as the email communication read at that time, it seemed that only he knew about it, and the other part of Naim had no idea whatsoever! I was honestly shocked at the way they seemed to work at naim! They were suposed to inform me when the problem was solved... I'm still to hear from them, I really wonder if the new integrateds still have the same problem!

The CD5i-2 had a skipping problem on random disks... and it just drove me insane! Because it was so intermittent, that I initially wasn't even sure whether it was the player! Then after a lot of elimination of disks, I knew it was the player... Told the dealer... the same thing all over again... "Haven't heard of it!". I gave it to my dealer, he also heard the skip, he sends it to the distributor, he checks it too... but doesn't hear it! I travelled to see the distributor, because he was in another city... he said he couldn't fault it and was going to send it back. At that point I had completely lost my cool! So I called up Naim, spoke to customer service again, and he said he would send down a PIC immediately... That was nice, but it took a whole lot of effort before it could be done!

Then (I have no idea why I was brave enough to purchase Naim again), went in for the XS series components...

they had these marks on them on the brushed metal finish... Told my dealer>Distributor>Naim... and I got a response which shocked me again... it literally said that they will not replace the products because even the new ones will not live up to the scrutiny and is too little to recognize it as a fault! I was really upset... But kept calm... A week later I was informed that Naim had cancelled an entire batch of 'FAULTY' facias... This was confirmed by the administrator on the Naim Forum... The problem was similar to the one I complained about, just 3 days before!

At that point, I really didn't know what to do... I then called up the highest authority at naim and told him what happened, and he assured that I would get a good replacement (I appreciate them for that)! Because of my dissatisfaction with the operations of my distributor and dealer, I asked for the replacement to be sent directly to my place, but it was refused... So in the end I just refused to take them and sold off my naim equipment! Even for the money I lost, I'm happy that I got rid of them!

Of course, there are a lot more intricacies to what happened (including a wee live cockroach in the box of my amplifier), but I was just so upset with the way naim operates internationally (in my opinion it completely loses its reputation for customer service outside the UK) that I just gave up! I have heard of and known several other incidents internationally, I'm almost certain that its because Naim's communication is just a complete breakdown outside the UK, in my opinion!

I could understand my dealer's frustration, because Naim kept all this a secret (as it seemed), and the communication among Naim and their representatives just seems to be appaling!

Im even ready to accept that this may have been one bad case out of several satisfied customers, but really the way these people deal with problems, every time, is shocking for me!

I wouldn't mind naim's arrognace if they delivered to me! But honestly this suggested anything but! Not because I'm the customer, but if it were my company, i would atleast offer a decent apology if not any part of a refund!

Worst experience ever!!!

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
A pair of TDL RTL3 'Special Edition' speakers.

Paid £150 for them, and they were terrible.

Bass like a fish flapping about in a cardboard box, and no real treble presence to speak of. Still got the flipping things- I've tried getting rid but no joy...

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
hone_u2 said:
Whoops! Sorry I didn't realize the reply was so long! :O

A good rant should never be cut short.......and that was definitely not a good experience.

haha True! I was thinking of starting a separate thread on this anyway... But I saw this and so I guess i replied.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Nad M55 universal disc player .

It only loaded discs when it felt like it and would stop and throw the disc out at random , it constantly froze halfway through a film or piece of music and the DVDA and SACD performance was far worse that normal Cd .

It never worked properly from day one and was returned several times for repair and upgrades whilst under warranty, but after the warranty ran out it broke again so I put it back in the box and stuck it in the loft where it will probably remain until it gets thrown into a skip .

It turns out that many other people have had similar troubles with this machine that were never resolved .

It is the worst piece of equipment that I have ever purchased and was a complete waste of money.

It still makes me angry thinking about it . |(

TRENDING THREADS