Hi Fi you REGRETTED buying!!!!!!!!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Arcam AVR250. Lured me into surround sound (subsequently ditched), sounded rubbish, blew up. Regret is only off-set by the fact that it is now a £1000 bedside table.

matthewpiano

Everything is an experience and it all adds up, but there have been a few buying regrets, inevitably given how much stuff I bought and sold over the years.

Mission 792 speakers were a huge mistake. I purchased them mail order without auditioning and found them diffuse sounding and very poor at creating a stable issue even on the dedicated Mission stands (which I still have and like) and with lots of experimentation with positioning. Definitely not Mission's finest hour.

Denon D-M37DAB. Terrible problems with volume steps resulting in it being impossible to set a comfortable listening level. Ended up sending it back. Thankfully the problem has been rectified on the current DM39DAB model.

Arcam A70. What a s***e amp. Limp, lifeless, a damp squid. Sold it on pretty quickly, thankfully not really losing anything because I'd bought it at a very low end-of-line price and they were still commanding good prices on the used market.

Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5. OK, it is very cheap, but it is also very poor. Long-standing CA problem with atrocious balance on the volume pot which they only really sorted out on the more recent Azur models.

I'm sure I will think of more.

mindmenglish

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Sony, Philips, Panasonic, Pioneer, Aiwa.

They call it midi hi fi. At that time I don't know what is a Stereo Amplifier. If this thing also dissapoints me, I'm leaving hi fi world and moving to headphones. The Sony XB and PIIQ sounds good enough for me.

danny86

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
AVI ADM 9.1T speakers - 5 stars from Whathifi.

Lack of bass response + drivers on slave blew up after a year, for asking price 1000 quid.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Gravenhurst said:
danny86 said:
AVI ADM 9.1T speakers - 5 stars from Whathifi.

Lack of bass response + drivers on slave blew up after a year, for asking price 1000 quid.

Oh no

This thread is about to go wrong

Nah,

Ash hasn't let them out to play yet
smiley-cool.gif

DanielTura

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Sospri said:
My worst purchase was Grado SR60i headphones, after much hype on reviews here and elsehere, I found to be very trebly and sibilent so sold them off on the bay.

Very happy now with my Beyers, very happy with the rest of my kit..............

Its said that with Grado u either love`em or hate`em...unlike u i love mine(then again i use them with a warmer sounding source) - best 70 pounds i ever spent(made a conversion im not from the UK).

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Like many others a cable. In particular, a What Hifi 5 * Chord HDMI cable which provided no visual or audible benefits when compared with the free cables I already had.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I brought a cambridge audio 640c v2, I found it okay for rock but onjazz and classical cold and bright sounding. Sold it on ebay.

I also had a nad c542 quite nice sounding but lacked detail and sparkle and can be boring to listen to if you want a lively sound.

Cheers

Steve.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Interesting topic.

I never regretted to buy some hifi stuff. Because I'm so poor, I always compared a lot of things before throwing a single penny anywhere. Just when I know that my next footsep will be in the right direction, I invest money in it. And I support local dealers with good service, and they give it me back in their own way sometimes. With this simple rule, I was never disappointed and tested a lot of stuff.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
hammill said:
Like many others a cable. In particular, a What Hifi 5 * Chord HDMI cable which provided no visual or audible benefits when compared with the free cables I already had.

is it the blue one ?

I got one for free. It now resides in the spare cables box. Whilst my system is connected up with basic ones.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
$200+ premium speaker stands. They are built well, have a good gloss black finish, but the base is way too small to stabilize large bookself speakers. Soundwise not a improvement over much cheaper stands either. I would've been much happier using $100 made in China stands or getting custom made stands.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
Interesting topic.

I never regretted to buy some hifi stuff. Because I'm so poor, I always compared a lot of things before throwing a single penny anywhere. Just when I know that my next footsep will be in the right direction, I invest money in it. And I support local dealers with good service, and they give it me back in their own way sometimes. With this simple rule, I was never disappointed and tested a lot of stuff.

A very good post if I may say so.

Long it may continue ... may you win the lottery and ... bless you pet ... may you remember little DM if it happens

regards

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
A subwoofer. Too uncontrolled, a 15" speaker, and i never needed those very low frequencies. It did not give me tighter bass, as i was expecting. Better buy some good speakers with woofers 8" and -3 dB at 35 Hz or so, as i did now.

mindmenglish

May 29, 2013
Visit site
WHF should ask for volunteers on the streets for reviews before giving away 5 stars.

rich people are laughing over this. they have their own consultant.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts