Hi-Fi Upgrades That Cost Almost Nothing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

idc

ivoreng:I've put this on other forums and some people put me on their xmas card list . It sound daft and I found it by accident and sometimes it makes it worse , sometimes better, but it always makes a change.
If you listen with the room door shut , Open it .Try wide open, try
half open. Try it vica versa. Shut it if its open !
Got muddy bass ? Open tne door dude . Oh , and it's free.
TA DAH !
I got more through years of being an anorak also.

There is truth in this, as there is in any room conditioning with opening and closing curtains, moving seats or speaker position etc.

JohnnyV111

May 31, 2010
Visit site
ivoreng:I've put this on other forums and some people put me on their xmas card list . It sound daft and I found it by accident and sometimes it makes it worse , sometimes better, but it always makes a change.If you listen with the room door shut , Open it .Try wide open, try half open. Try it vica versa. Shut it if its open !Got muddy bass ? Open tne door dude . Oh , and it's free.TA DAH !

Not daft at all - if the door is open then the sound will reverberate through the house. You can experiment by playing a very short burst of sound at a high volume level door closed to begin with. Unless you have a room that is very well damped or acoustically treated you will hear a tail off after the sound from the speakers finishes. Try it with and without the door open, and you will hear the reverb tail (and possibly further bass reflections) coming from outside the open door. Some may like the bass like this as it the sound is literally "bigger", but it will be less accurate. How noticeable the effect is depends on house and room size and shape, speaker and listener position and sound pressure levels.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
idc:

quantum:Ok so i guess i was asking for it lol to start a topic asking if tin foil over hifi cables could improve the sound or picture. But seriously though what do the expensive cables do, are they simply blocking out the RFI interference or are they doing something more?

Blind testing strongly suggests that the differences between cables are down to placebo, expectation and psychoacoustics. The only physical effect is to vary the volume as caused by different resistances.

emotion-2.gif

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Isolating components is key. The amount of people who have their separates stacked directly on top of each other.........
emotion-6.gif

Clare, I am one of them... Could you please explain isolation? what has to be isolated from what, blocking transmission of what, how and why? How critical is it? what happens if there is no isolation? How isolation is measured - how do I know if I have enough or too little?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts