Hi Fi Upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Heres a blast from the past! I own quite a mature Hi Fi system which consists of a Sony STR-DB 940 Receiver a Sony CDP-XA20 ES CD Player a Sony TC-KA6ES Tape deck a Sony MDS-JB 930 MD Deck a Project RPM-1 Genie 3 Turntable and a pair of Mordaunt short MS 35 Ti Speakers.

My main aim is to replace the Sony Receiver with a Hi Fi Amp as I would like to have full control over the balance/bass and treble elements. I still wish to keep the rest of the system as I am more than happy with it. But my main concern is finding a suitable replacment Hi Fi amp that will accomodate all of the above. I would welcome your surgestions to a suitable Hi FI amp. I have a budget of around £800 to spend,

Yours Sincerely

[:D]Bazzer56

A

Anonymous

Today (17/08/2010) I checked back to see if anyone had made a reply to my hi fi upgrade problem and to date I have had 83 viewings but not one reply. And there was me thinking that this would be a great way to get some help and advice by using the forums. But it would seem not. It is a real shame that not one person from what hi fi forums has come forward with a surgestion!. Looks like I will have to go to my local hifi dealer and get the information that I require from them as it would seem that no help is forth coming by using the forums,
emotion-6.gif

matthewpiano

Bazzer56

Sorry you haven't had a response from anyone.

It would be useful to know what sort of music you listen to and the sort of sound you are looking for.

Personally I would be looking to spend significantly less than £800. Looking at the vintage/second hand market could net you something really good that would work well in your system.

I have experience with the smaller version of your speakers (MS25Ti, which I still have tucked away) and would suggest you look at amps from Sony (some of the ES and QS amps are superb), Sansui (the AU-x17 series, AU-x900 series, the AU-Dx series), and Technics (SU-V55a) as starting points.

Steve's Hi-Fi is a great place to look online for 2nd hand gear, and Green Home Electronics is also often worth a hunt through.

If you really must spend more money and go new then the Yamaha range of amps would be an excellent place to start. The A-S700 is excellent and would give you plenty of control - bass and treble tone controls (defeatable) and a clever variable loudness (also defeatable) are included.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
My Arcams together cost less than £500 off eBay. Second hand will see your £800 go a very long way.

They sound absolutely great too.

idc

Hi Bazzer56. On forums it is down to luck as to whether you get instant advice or have to wait a while.

You want an amp that has two inputs for the CDP and MD, a tape loop for the cassette deck (assuming you want to still record music, other wise a standard input will do) and a phono input, with tone controls.

I would look at a combination of chris and matthew's advice and look at second hand, former top of the range amps from Arcam, NAD, Rega and the Japanese brands mentioned as many have all those various inputs.

Otherwise, if you want new have a look at the Richer Sounds site as they do NAD and Cambridge which again have products with the inputs and tone controls you want.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for all your input guys. I now realise that it is nigh on Impossible to get a quick answer from the forums as having been through a hell of a lot of them it would seem that it is just a question of waiting till someone reads it for you to get an answer of some discripition or other.

Once again many thanks for your input guys will now go away with some idea of what to do will get back to you once I have made my purchase etc.

Oh andas you asked what sort of music I listen to it goes right across the musical spectrum but my main area is classical and easy listening to pop soul R&B and of course listening to myself play on both my sax's when the mood takes me,

Yours

Bazzer56
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS