Hi-Fi and Freezing Temperatures

Adam W.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
I live in an area of the U.S. where it can get very cold during the winter months. Temperatures ranging from 0°F to -25°F (-18°C to -32°C) and much lower are not unusual.

I'm considering ordering a Hi-Fi product this winter. It will likely spend 2 or 3 days on a truck exposed to very cold temperatures.

Can this damage the product in any way? Also, is it a good idea to keep the product in its packaging and allow it to come to room temperature before using it?

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Will probably say in the manual what the operating temps are. Sounds OK tbh. Just once should be OK. Constant freeze/thaw can knacker solder joints. Depends what it is though I guess

I noticed my MacBook pro power adaptor doesn't work much below °C :tearsofjoy:

I would try and let it come to room temp. Gradual temp changes always better than rapid. The boxes are usually very well insuated though.

Definitely allow any Hi-Fi to rest at room temperature for a day or two before use if extremely cold. Cardboard boxes can get damp too, though many products are packed with desiccant inside a plastic bag to minimise issues.

I‘ve no experience of such low outside temperatures but I’d assume the products are designed to tolerate these in territories where they ship. But if you’ve any concerns I’d seek reassurance from manufacturers or importers.

Definitely allow any Hi-Fi to rest at room temperature for a day or two

Absolutely. When I bought the 308 pre, it was in my car boot for a long time on a cold day. I didn't let it warm up and whilst it worked, the remote misbehaved massively. It wouldn't respond, but when it did it just kept on responding - one press would see the volume knob just keep on moving. Mercifully I got to it before it could do any damage. Lesson learned.

No harm in taking it out of the packaging though - that should help it warm through.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts