Here we go again.... GT50 with screen burn...

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tony0898

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to but In but I have been following this topic for a while as I originally wanted to get the tx-p50vt65 or gt60. From what I've read it has put me off so I think I'm going to settle for the samsung ue46 or 55 f8000. Can I just ask, those with the 55", how far away are you sitting from the tv? Also any issues with light bleed. Saw a 46" and it had streaks coming in from the corners.

Hope to hear your feedback

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I sit approx 3 metres from my 55F8000

It's only 24 hours old, but I haven't noticed any issues with light bleed

My wife commented last night that the picture was significantly better than the 50GT50 it replaced

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
MrW said:
I sit approx 3 metres from my 55F8000

It's only 24 hours old, but I haven't noticed any issues with light bleed

My wife commented last night that the picture was significantly better than the 50GT50 it replaced

now thats saying something. Thats with settings from the internet right, not default settings? Once your 100% happy you HAVE to get that calibrated professionally, it would be a crime not to.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
:)

Yes, the settings are from the review in AVF

I'll look at having it professionally calibrated in a few months, but I'd have to say I continue to be very impressed

No blurring on fast panning sequences, and a quick flick at the Avatar 3D Blu Ray this morning gave what I thought was very immersive depth (plus even the Panasonic 3D glasses (work perfectly with the F8000, just as well as I have 4 sets!) didn't flicker like they seemed to on the GT50

I'm sure this TV has it's limitations, but I can probably live with them, whatever they might be (actually, things like switching between Freeview and Freesat are complicated compared to the GT50, and it won't switch audio sources on the Soundbar without me finding the soundbars remote, so it's not perfect!)

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
ellisdj said:
Why didnt you get the Samsung Plasma? F8500 of whatever it is?

It's almost impossible to find a reputable retailer with stock.

or he got so feed up with problems from his past 2 Plasma's he gave LCD/LED a try. If I remember rightly the issue MrW had was IR, something that is not a problem with LCD/LED TV's

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
http://www.reliantdirect.co.uk/HOME/Product-Detail/Samsung-PS64F8500_PS64F8500.htm?LGWCODE=8028;58699;3681&gclid=CJODyN-NprwCFdQPtAodTkoACw

I bought my LX5090 from these

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
As strapped said, John Lewis had no stock of the PS51F8500 and to be honest I'd had a good look at the one in my local John Lewis and it had the worst IR (possibly screen burn) I've ever seen on a plasma TV! For what it's worth I wasn't keen on the styling of the TV either!

The 55F8000 may not be the pinnacle of viewing pleasure, but so far it works for me, and after 26 months of living with Panasonic plasma TV's (a GT30, then the GT50) enough was enough! (My G10 Panasonic will be 5 years old this November, and I've never had an issue with it...)

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
MrW said:
As strapped said, John Lewis had no stock of the PS51F8500 and to be honest I'd had a good look at the one in my local John Lewis and it had the worst IR (possibly screen burn) I've ever seen on a plasma TV! For what it's worth I wasn't keen on the styling of the TV either!

The 55F8000 may not be the pinnacle of viewing pleasure, but so far it works for me, and after 26 months of living with Panasonic plasma TV's (a GT30, then the GT50) enough was enough! (My G10 Panasonic will be 5 years old this November, and I've never had an issue with it...)

why do you say this? What's wrong with it?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
In some ways off topic, but does anyone remember this fella (post #1452)?

http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showthread.php?t=16036&page=73&p=407284&viewfull=1#post407284

Nice to see he's keeping up the good work!

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
In some ways off topic, but does anyone remember this fella (post #1452)?

http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showthread.php?t=16036&page=73&p=407284&viewfull=1#post407284

Nice to see he's keeping up the good work!

Cloverleaf! :)

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
MrW said:

rocket, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all!

I merely said that as there are undoubtably 'better' TV's out there, and in the end it all comes down to personal preference!

Until October last year when my GT50 started showing the 'usual' signs of problems, I was a huge Panasonic plasma fan, now, well I'm not!

There are people on this forum that swear by them and to be honest I understand 100% why they do, but for me the F8000 offered a solution away from Panasonic plasma's and at this point in time I am 100% sure I made the right decision!

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
MrW said:
rocketrazor said:
MrW said:

rocket, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all!

I merely said that as there are undoubtably 'better' TV's out there, and in the end it all comes down to personal preference!

Until October last year when my GT50 started showing the 'usual' signs of problems, I was a huge Panasonic plasma fan, now, well I'm not!

There are people on this forum that swear by them and to be honest I understand 100% why they do, but for me the F8000 offered a solution away from Panasonic plasma's and at this point in time I am 100% sure I made the right decision!

ah ok, I thought you meant you now weren't sure on it. Glad your happy though.

out of interest to put you on the spot, if you had a fault free GT50 which would you prefer, the F8000 or GT50?

ta

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
difficult one really rocket, given the price difference between the 2 TV's (GT50 was £1399 new, and the F8000 is £1999 currently, although I didn't pay that!)

Honestly, I think I'd go with the F8000 as so far I have yet to see any LED/LCD limitations (plus it's bigger!)

I would have gone with the F7000, however my TV is wall mounted and I just couldn't live with the 'lump' that hangs off the bottom if you don't have the stand attached! (the bit that has the illuminated Samsung logo on it)

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
rocket, I really hope you can get it sorted, and remember, always buy from John Lewis or Richer Sounds, then you are in with a fighting chance if things go wrong!

At first I had the obligatory 'there is nothing wrong with your TV' but after some 'heated discussion' John Lewis changed their mind and I would have to say were brilliant in the end, they really were.

I know you've had numerous attempts at trying to coax Panasonic UK out of their 'cupboard', but have you tried twitter or even facebook? They have a prescence on both of those social media sites, and sometimes it is a case of where you air your grievance rather than who to.

Just a thought

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Just read the first page of comments on their Facebook page, I think mine would get lost with the other disgruntled customers, not one positive comment on there! Speaks volumes

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
MrW said:
difficult one really rocket, given the price difference between the 2 TV's (GT50 was £1399 new, and the F8000 is £1999 currently, although I didn't pay that!)

Honestly, I think I'd go with the F8000 as so far I have yet to see any LED/LCD limitations (plus it's bigger!)

I would have gone with the F7000, however my TV is wall mounted and I just couldn't live with the 'lump' that hangs off the bottom if you don't have the stand attached! (the bit that has the illuminated Samsung logo on it)

I would have to agree with that statement entirely MrW and I felt exactly the same when I went from a 42GT30 to a Sony 46HX853 LED TV but then going to the 55F8000 did reap instant rewards in picture quality over the HX853. With both of the those LED TVs I have never for one second regretted not owning a plasma TV which is recommendation enough in my humble opinion.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, it has been 3 weeks and I'd have to say I am still very impressed with the 55F8000

I've yet to see any of the LED limitations that are often mentioned, and as yet I haven't missed the GT50 (doubt I will to be honest)

The only 'issue' so far is that I have discovered, with the help of our youngest, that the Samsung Smart Remote doesn't work very well when coffee has been applied to it! (fortunately, I've found a new one on eBay at significantly less that the £90 or so that Samsung charge!)

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
It wasn't dipped in the coffee...

A cup was spilt, and the remote ended up coming into contact with it

I took it completely apart to clean and dry it out, but the touch pad no longer works on it (which renders it pretty much useless!)

£23 from eBay for a brand new one, which will be kept safe somewhere me thinks!

D

Deleted member 2457

MrW said:
It wasn't dipped in the coffee...

A cup was spilt, and the remote ended up coming into contact with it

I took it completely apart to clean and dry it out, but the touch pad no longer works on it (which renders it pretty much useless!)

£23 from eBay for a brand new one, which will be kept safe somewhere me thinks!

Sounds epic! :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts