Home Cinema System with a Plasma or a Projector screen?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

This is my first post, so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I'm after the whole works, as we are making a Home Cinema Room (Watching Sport and Movies)

After reading the what Hi-Fi Magazine i see the Pioneer PDP LX6090 is the best TV of all time, Are there any Plasma's screen's that come close to it? as i see Pioneer have stopped making TV's. Or Would it be Better to buy a Projector?

What Speakers,Amps,Recievers,Blu Ray Player would you recommend i buy?

As I've been to a couple of shops and they all recommend differen't item's (Plasma, Projector Screen and the New Phillips 21:9)

The Room is 6 Metres Long x 3.9 Metres wide.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi and Welcome my name is Gel.

Is there a budget for this?

Any restrictions in terms of size?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

£10,000 for everything

There are no walls in the middle of room and the ceiling isn't low

so it's just 6 by 3.9 metres

As the room is being built we can put all the speaker cables behind the insulation boards.

Also

What about having speakers in the ceiling?

D

Deleted member 2457

Traumatic:

£10,000 for everything

There are no walls in the middle of room and the ceiling isn't low

so it's just 6 by 3.9 metres

As the room is being built we can put all the speaker cables behind the insulation boards.

Also

What about having speakers in the ceiling?

Wow, that is a really nice budget.

The 60ich Pioneer Plasma would definetely be the way I would go. £3,000

Pioneer Amp pioneer sc-lx82 £1700

Pioneer BDP-LX91 £1600

Speakers You Could Try Mine B&W FPM series Around £4,400 with cables and stands, without stands and wallmounted £4,000.

That would be the way I would go.

I have seen this setup and it is brilliant with the 60 inch pioneer plasma.

Speakers in the ceiling you could do a 7.1 setup but I am not sure about that.

What do you think so far?

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I disagree on the display. I'm not denying the Pioneer is a fabulous TV but not only is it going to be hard to find (if indeed possible), but the £3,000 to £3,500 it's likely to cost will buy you an excellent Full HD projector and screen. I would go and demo some projectors for about that price and see what you think.

But then with that budget, I'd personally get in touch with my local dealer to see what they recommended and then do some research around their recommended setup.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I agree with professorhat. As you have a dedicated home cinema room - and a decent-sized one too - I'd definitely go for a projector and screen to get the maximum movie impact.

You can buy a fantastic projector such as JVC's Award-winning DLA-HD350 for £3000 (it was our Projector Product of the Year in 2009) and that still leaves plenty in your budget for screen, Blu-ray player, amp and speakers.

A

Anonymous

Well I went to 2 shops one of them recommended the Phillips 21:9 and the other recommended a Projector (JVC)

The Projector screen looked flat colour wise and you always had to have the room black (Blinds)

And then after reading the Review's it looked like the Pioneer Plasma was the best option with the Sony DVD/Amp , Sony Reciever and the Monitor Audio Speakers (What Hi fi Magazine)

With a Projector Setup we would need to block a window up(As the window is the opposite end of the room)

A

Anonymous

I also have to agree with the Proff and Andy , If it is a serious Home Cinema you are building it has to be a Projector its a no brainer.

On the other hand if you are going to watch TV programs then its a plasma ,as a projector is no good for day to day use , also you will use up the bulb life in no time

Watching movies needs to be done in a dark room IMHO

You could of course go for both have a plasma on the walll for daily use, and have an electric screen drop down in front of it for Movies (Simples)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I think you need to see some more projectors. At that price you should be able to get one which works okay in normal room light. Yes, okay, for ultimate performance the room needs to be dark, but you certainly shouldn't need to have a dark room.

Maybe Ms Newsome will make an appearance - I know she uses a projector for everyday viewing (or at least she used to a few months ago) and has no issues so should be able to advise on how to get the best performance.

For a certainty I wouldn't buy the Philips 21:9. As a novelty item for someone with spare cash to burn, fine, but for any sensible viewing, a projector is the way forward without any doubt.

A

Anonymous

It's just going to be used for Sports and Movies.

As for ordinary TV we can watch that in another room.

Does anybody have any links for good Projector and screens? (the screen would be fixed)

If we did go down the Plasma route are there any as good as the Pioneer?

If you have a dedicated home cinema room & you can ensure adequate darkness, projector is definitely the way to go.

JVC makes some seriously good projectors. JVC HD950 is amongst the best in the market. If funds don't permit, then the JVC HD350 is excellent.

Although I must say that I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of watching everyday programmes on a projector & totally replace the TV. But that's me. For me, everyday TV viewing should be on TV, & use the projector for movies & sports.

I can see that you already have a TV for everyday programmes.

Plasma TV has its own advantages. You don't need a very dark room all the time, for one.

But in a perfectly dark room, the projector wins hands down.

You may still be able to get hold of a Pioneer LX6090 or KRP 600A if you ring around. Panasonic is launching new TVs this spring, & it's anticipated to equal or better the Kuro (Infinite Black Panel Pro technology, developed by ex-Pioneer engineers for Panasonic).

D

Deleted member 2457

Traumatic:

Well I went to 2 shops one of them recommended the Phillips 21:9 and the other recommended a Projector (JVC)

The Projector screen looked flat colour wise and you always had to have the room black (Blinds)

And then after reading the Review's it looked like the Pioneer Plasma was the best option with the Sony DVD/Amp , Sony Reciever and the Monitor Audio Speakers (What Hi fi Magazine)

With a Projector Setup we would need to block a window up(As the window is the opposite end of the room)

I would seriously considered other setups as well, like the one I recommeded or M&K 750thx package, or B&W XT series speaker package, also the Yamaha DSP-Z7 amp.

Blu ray players the £1,000 sony blu ray player another option to the pioneer bdp-lx91.

A

Anonymous

Traumatic:

It's just going to be used for Sports and Movies.

As for ordinary TV we can watch that in another room.

Does anybody have any links for good Projector and screens? (the screen would be fixed)

If we did go down the Plasma route are there any as good as the Pioneer?

Pioneers Plasmas are the best no question but you have to buy the correct model which I cant advise on , sure someone here can if you ask the direct question , might be hard to source one though

A

Anonymous

What shops would you recommend i go to?

I've been to Audio file(Projector) and Sevenoakes sound and vision (Phillips 21:9)

A

Anonymous

gel:Traumatic:

I would seriously considered other setups as well, like the one I recommeded or M&K 750thx package, or B&W XT series speaker package, also the Yamaha DSP-Z7 amp.

Blu ray players the £1,000 sony blu ray player another option to the pioneer bdp-lx91.

I would agree with Gel on the Yamaha Z7 Amp M&K 750THX Speaker package

Contact David at Frank Harvey for more info , they say its a perfect match

Now you just need to decide on a Blu-Ray source , totally different debate

A

Anonymous

With the projector what screen would you recommend?(the screen would be fixed)

A

Anonymous

lesmor:gel:Traumatic:

And then after reading the Review's it looked like the Pioneer
Plasma was the best option with the Sony DVD/Amp , Sony Reciever and
the Monitor Audio Speakers (What Hi fi Magazine)

I would seriously considered other setups as well, like the one I
recommeded or M&K 750thx package, or B&W XT series speaker
package, also the Yamaha DSP-Z7 amp.

I like the looks and the reviews of the Monitor Audio Speakers (voted best speakers of 2009)

Does Frank Harvey have shops all around the UK?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Traumatic:Does anybody have any links for good Projector and screens? (the screen would be fixed)

Have a look at the reviews section here for projectors. For advice on screens, have a look through some of these posts.

Traumatic:What shops would you recommend i go to? I've been to Audio file(Projector) and Sevenoakes sound and vision (Phillips 21:9)

Whereabouts are you based?

D

Deleted member 2457

Traumatic:Based on the border of bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire

Which sevenoaks did you go to?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

gel:

Thanks

The shop in bedford

A

Anonymous

Traumatic:

lesmor:gel:Traumatic:

I like the looks and the reviews of the Monitor Audio Speakers (voted best speakers of 2009)

Does Frank Harvey have shops all around the UK?

Monitor audio is also a good match for a Z7

Search for F Harvey to find their location

D

Deleted member 2457

Traumatic:gel:

Thanks

The shop in bedford

I know and have used a far better shop than that and it is quite near where you are as well.

It's Technosound Milton Keynes, and they do brilliant installations like the one you are going to need.

They are good with projectors too and I think they could help you out alot.

They have a website www.technosound.co.uk and it's the milton keynes branch, you could give them a call, I am sure they could really help you.

D

Deleted member 2457

They could also come out to you and do a quote for the work as well.

TRENDING THREADS