Here we go again.... GT50 with screen burn...

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
So, JL replaced my GT30 a year ago as the PDP went and they couldn't get a replacement...

now the GT50 has horrendous screen burn, we had sky installed a week ago and have hardly watched it, but I can see the logos burnt into the PDP...

it's also suffering from what I'd call phosphorous burn when the end credits for East Enders roll and all the white writing burns across the screen to the right through the red back ground

Its also struggling with blacks and they appear pixelated and grey.

i love Plasma's, but if JL go down the replacement route there will be no GT60 on offer as they don't stock it....

any suggestions?!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

What picture setting do you have on it? Put it on THX Cinema for all viewing, anything brighter than that will cause trouble. Saying that, I still have a slight burn from Sky Sports, but it's only noticeable on a plain white screen.
It could be image retention rather than screen burn, so try the following:
Run the scrolling bar throughout the night with the picture set on Dynamic. Only use this setting when you are using the scrolling bar, otherwise it will damage the screen further.
I can't help with the other problem.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
My first gt50 had image retention as the voltage setting was to high on the tv, once this was amended it worked without any image retention.

try normal mode but reduce the brightness and contrast. Normal mode has pixel orbiter also which reduces image retention but doesn't prevent it.

sorry to hear you have problems with yet another panasonic product, :wall:

D

Deleted member 2457

MrW said:
So, JL replaced my GT30 a year ago as the PDP went and they couldn't get a replacement...

now the GT50 has horrendous screen burn, we had sky installed a week ago and have hardly watched it, but I can see the logos burnt into the PDP...

it's also suffering from what I'd call phosphorous burn when the end credits for East Enders roll and all the white writing burns across the screen to the right through the red back ground

Its also struggling with blacks and they appear pixelated and grey.

i love Plasma's, but if JL go down the replacement route there will be no GT60 on offer as they don't stock it....

any suggestions?!

You swap it for the VT65 like I did.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

rocketrazor said:
My first gt50 had image retention as the voltage setting was to high on the tv, once this was amended it worked without any image retention.

try normal mode but reduce the brightness and contrast. Normal mode has pixel orbiter also which reduces image retention but doesn't prevent it.

sorry to hear you have problems with yet another panasonic product, :wall:

Forgot that, good idea, though how much difference it makes I'm not sure.

I've got to get around to ringing JL about my dse and image retention, but working away makes things so difficult. Hopefully I can do something in a few weeks.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
All the suggestions already given are well worth doing but it's also worth noting that this sounds more likely to be excessive image retention than actual screen burn so run the scrolling bar and change picture mode for your everyday viewing to normal so that you can use the pixel orbiter option, it should be on all the time really to minimise any image retention but it certainly won't stop it completely.

Only by setting up the picture properly by using some form of calibration disc can you be sure that both brightness and contrast are set correctly and that any image retention is solely an issue with the TV so even a quick run through of the THX calibration on many dvds would be very useful. At least then if you take those steps you can be sure that any issues that are present are not down to picture settings and are indicitive of a fault with the TV, of course you should also avoid dynamic mode like the plague.

The other two issues you mention do point towards something more fundamental wrong with the TV so if all of the above and the other advice given has no effect then it's time to contact John Lewis and get it looked at. Our fellow forum member gel got his GT50 replaced with a VT65 very recently as they don't seem to stock the GT60 so if a replacement is warranted that is what they will do but be warned you will have to pay for the privelage and make up the difference in price, although you can still price match that just like gel did to minimise the extra outlay.

Personally I had so many probelms with Panasonic plasmas that I just gave up in the end and went over to LED and haven't looked back, not had anywhere near the amount of issues since I made the change and as much as I love plasmas I just wouldn't go back now.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for all the replies

I'm using the TV on Cinema mode, and have avoided using THX Cinema or THX Bright Room apart from when viewing Blu Ray

I belive the pixel orbiter is on apart from when using THX mode?

When running the scrolling bar I can clearly see the Cartoon Network HD logo in the bottom right hand corner... and the children don't spend hours watching it, so this has happened fairly quickly (as I said before, we have only had Sky for 2 weeks!)

I'll have a play around with the settings, but I think the PDP is shot so I guess I'm in JL's hands...

D

Deleted member 2457

MrW said:
Thank you for all the replies

I'm using the TV on Cinema mode, and have avoided using THX Cinema or THX Bright Room apart from when viewing Blu Ray

I belive the pixel orbiter is on apart from when using THX mode?

When running the scrolling bar I can clearly see the Cartoon Network HD logo in the bottom right hand corner... and the children don't spend hours watching it, so this has happened fairly quickly (as I said before, we have only had Sky for 2 weeks!)

I'll have a play around with the settings, but I think the PDP is shot so I guess I'm in JL's hands...

The best thing you can do is to demand for a new TV not a replacement, that is what I did all the way. You might have to speak to someone like a manager in store to get this outcome though. On the phone they were a bit of a nightmare!

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Gel

The GT60 is just over a year old... I'm guessing they will want to go down the try and repair first route...

I bought it online from JL (well, the original GT30 came from Norwich JL, but subsequently I ended up dealing with them online) I had to pay £100 to 'upgrade' to the GT50 as my GT30 was a 46"

I don't really want to spend any more on a TV unless I really have to...

Where did you get the price match on your VT65 from?

D

Deleted member 2457

MrW said:
Thanks Gel

The GT60 is just over a year old... I'm guessing they will want to go down the try and repair first route...

I bought it online from JL (well, the original GT30 came from Norwich JL, but subsequently I ended up dealing with them online) I had to pay £100 to 'upgrade' to the GT50 as my GT30 was a 46"

Total Digital:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_51&products_id=4749

Hispek are doing 10 per cent off at the moment too:

http://www.hispek.com/panasonic/plasma-televisions/panasonic-txp50vt65-free-5-year-warranty-50-neo-plasma-full-hd-3d-smart-viera-television-pd-15144.php

Spending more on this TV is definitely worth it. When you speak to them they might send a guy out first, tell them then you want it swapped for something else then. With me they just ordered a new screen without even telling me! I was very annoyed because I had three already, I then went in store and explained to a manager and then got a good outcome.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
MrW said:
Thanks Gel

Total Digital:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_51&products_id=4749

http://www.hispek.com/panasonic/plasma-televisions/panasonic-txp50vt65-free-5-year-warranty-50-neo-plasma-full-hd-3d-smart-viera-television-pd-15144.php

Spending more on this TV is definitely worth it. When you speak to them they might send a guy out first, tell them then you want it swapped for something else then. With me they just ordered a new screen without even telling me! I was very annoyed because I had three already, I then went in store and explained to a manager and then got a good outcome.

In the OPs situation JL are well within their rights to try to repair the TV first gel, in your situation you had previous history of the same TV having issues which they tried to repair which is why they agreed to replace the TV...I would be very surprised if JL agreed to replace the TV without even attempting a repair first. Under UK consumer law they have the right to attempt a repair 3 times before a replacement or refund becomes an option, every retailer I have dealt with in my long list of faulty TVs has gone down this route and I don't see JL being any different in this case.

The OPs GT50 has only recently developed a fault and so will be treated like any faulty TV, I would say they will try to repair it first and foremost which is their right and only if the repair is unsuccessful after 3 attempts or they are unable to repair it will a replacement or refund be the way forward. To go in so heavy handed at such an early stage and demand a replacement will make no difference to their response in my humble opinion as they haven't even attempted a repair yet.

Your situation was very different and you had every reason for demanding a replacement or refund, in this case that situation is a little way off yet no? A little perspective is required here imo and it may well be the case that a repair solves the issue with the TV.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:
MrW said:
Thanks Gel

Total Digital:

In the OPs situation JL are well within their rights to try to repair the TV first gel, in your situation you had previous history of the same TV having issues which they tried to repair which is why they agreed to replace the TV...I would be very surprised if JL agreed to replace the TV without even attempting a repair first. Under UK consumer law they have the right to attempt a repair 3 times before a replacement or refund becomes an option, every retailer I have dealt with in my long list of faulty TVs has gone down this route and I don't see JL being any different in this case.

The OPs GT50 has only recently developed a fault and so will be treated like any faulty TV, I would say they will try to repair it first and foremost which is their right and only if the repair is unsuccessful after 3 attempts or they are unable to repair it will a replacement or refund be the way forward. To go in so heavy handed at such an early stage and demand a replacement will make no difference to their response in my humble opinion as they haven't even attempted a repair yet.

Your situation was very different and you had every reason for demanding a replacement or refund, in this case that situation is a little way off yet no? A little perspective is required here imo and it may well be the case that a repair solves the issue with the TV.

Yep, that is true. But I had never had a repair job before though. The thing is after they send a guy out, he then goes back writes a report and then John Lewis order a replacement. The OP will not even be in the process, so if he don't ask early on when is he going to ask? After they have ordered the screen it costs them more money. They might handle his situation different to mine, I am not sure. Definitely have to be careful though.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Yep, that is true. But I had never had a repair job before though. The thing is after they send a guy out, he then goes back writes a report and then John Lewis order a replacement. The OP will not even be in the process, so if he don't ask early on when is he going to ask? After they have ordered the screen it costs them more money. They might handle his situation different to mine, I am not sure. Definitely have to be careful though.

That is their right though that's all I'm getting at as they have the right to repair the TV first, the fact that they don't inform the customer is an annoyance for sure but they are perfectly within their right to attempt a repair first and foremost. Obviously you have had more experience than me with John Lewis so far but they did replace my first Samsung 55F8000 simply because it was only a few days old so how they will handle the OPs situation is anyones guess eh, I guess it's worth asking at this stage but I wouldn't expect a positive reception when asking for a replacement but then if you don't ask... ;)

You will certainly know far better than me how their process works but I just thought it was worth pointing out John Lewis's obligation to the customer before the OP got his hopes up about a straight replacement without them even attempting a repair first, I really hope he does get a replacement though as I know all to well how long it can take for a repair to be carried out and the hassle of not having a TV for up to a month :cry:

Hopefully the OP will give us an update with some good news soon, lets hope it's a no hassle replacement for a VT65 ;)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I can see why the VT65 is being suggested as a replacement (it's obviously a great tv), but as the OP has owned his GT50 for 12 months without problem, and the problem only developing once he added Sky (with their bold channel logos), wouldn't the same problem arise with the VT65?

I am a plasma lover, but if I had kids, I wouldn't touch plasma with a bargepole.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:

That is their right though that's all I'm getting at as they have the right to repair the TV first, the fact that they don't inform the customer is an annoyance for sure but they are perfectly within their right to attempt a repair first and foremost. Obviously you have had more experience than me with John Lewis so far but they did replace my first Samsung 55F8000 simply because it was only a few days old so how they will handle the OPs situation is anyones guess eh, I guess it's worth asking at this stage but I wouldn't expect a positive reception when asking for a replacement but then if you don't ask... ;)

You will certainly know far better than me how their process works but I just thought it was worth pointing out John Lewis's obligation to the customer before the OP got his hopes up about a straight replacement without them even attempting a repair first, I really hope he does get a replacement though as I know all to well how long it can take for a repair to be carried out and the hassle of not having a TV for up to a month :cry:

Hopefully the OP will give us an update with some good news soon, lets hope it's a no hassle replacement for a VT65 ;)

Yep. The OP must be good at this anyway because he got a replacement last time. I would suggest doing what he done last time to get it, but they seem to be getting more fussy, that is what I experienced. They document everything too, and record all telephone conversations, so be careful with what you say. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I can see why the VT65 is being suggested as a replacement (it's obviously a great tv), but as the OP has owned his GT50 for 12 months without problem, and the problem only developing once he added Sky (with their bold channel logos), wouldn't the same problem arise with the VT65?

I am a plasma lover, but if I had kids, I wouldn't touch plasma with a bargepole.

Probably yep. Some people on AV are saying they have experienced the same problems. I would say the VT65 is better made though, and expert reviews suggest that too. I don't go on any news channels and look after it carefully, mine is looking good.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I couldn't have been more careful with mine, but the Sky Sports logo is still there in the top right corner, faint, but present.

My point is, why should plasma owners have to avoid certain channels? My old kuro never had any trouble, so why do the Panasonics 5 years later?

Kids = LCD/LED

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I couldn't have been more careful with mine, but the Sky Sports logo is still there in the top right corner, faint, but present.

My point is, why should plasma owners have to avoid certain channels? My old kuro never had any trouble, so why do the Panasonics 5 years later?

Kids = LCD/LED

They cost less, you have to cut corners somewhere. Not good you have image retention! I had to avoid the news channels on my GT50 because I got image retention, I then avoided them and it disappeared. I suppose they might all behave differently though.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
The same can be said of gaming on a Panasonic plasma...gaming = LCD/LED or a Kuro.

I not only got issues with channel logos but logos in games too and the more you watched a particular channel such as Sky News or Sky Sports the worse it got and the same was true of games (more so in fact) as HUDs and logos were a real problem with image retention and took weeks to shift.

Having to tailor the content you watched and not buy games with stong HUDs or logos just seemed ridiculous to me, in effect the TV isn't fit for my purpose...if I can't play certain games or watch certain channels then something is wrong with the TV no? It was a major consideration when I replaced my GT30 and why I never bought a GT50 and this year despite the rave reviews of the VT65 I just couldn't go through all that again and know that for me LED was definately the way to go as I wanted this TV to last 5 years minimum.

There is no doubt that the latest Panasonic plasmas are capable of fabulous pictures but the limitations in the real world were too much for me, having to filter the content you watch was a step too far for me but in the right situation they are brilliant. If like me you are going to game on it, watch a variety of TV channels and content with logos then I would seriously think carefully before buying one especially as Panasonic now don't cover any form of image retention or burn in the warranty.

I still love the pictures they are capable of and know on pure picture performance they are better than my 55F8000 but the difference is I can live with the limitations of my TV as I don't get any image retention, can game for hours without then needing to perform screen maintenence for days and can watch whatever channels I like for as long as I want. I have also had nowhere near the amount of issues and replacement TVs since I went over to LED and for me that's the major difference but I remain envious of anyone with a high end plasma TV.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, you've all made some interesting points

To clarify, my 46GT30 was 11 months old when I realised that I could see the menu had burnt its way onto the PDP when watching dark scenes.

I contacted JL, and they arranged a local agent to collect the TV and organise repairs. At that time there appears to have been a supply issue with the 46" PDP, as after 4 weeks JL contacted me and said they were going to refund me as I had waited too long for this one to be repaired.

After some negotiations, they agreed to sell me the 50GT50 (no 46" in 2012 range, so no direct replacement) and I agreed to pay an additional £100

I've been really happy with the GT50, and if it can be repaired then I'll be happy, and I guess we will have to limit the childrens viewing of Cartoon Network!

The other 'problems' with this TV are it's inability to handle scenes involving lots of black (I get pixelated grey) and the phospor type trails on certain end credits (most notably East Enders!)

If there ends up being an issue with repairing this one, then I guess I'll have to look at other options as to be honest I don't really want to spend any more money on a TV, as nice as the VT65 may be!

In the meantime, I am awaiting JL to get back to me

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
MrW said:
The other 'problems' with this TV are it's inability to handle scenes involving lots of black (I get pixelated grey) and the phospor type trails on certain end credits (most notably East Enders!)

i can't think of a better reason not to watch East Enders than that :)

but on a serious note, I hope you get the issue resolved. If that's the only problem with your gt50 ask them to check the voltage settings, as I said before that fixed the image retention issue on my first one. :pray:

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
MrW said:

i can't think of a better reason not to watch East Enders than that :)

but on a serious note, I hope you get the issue resolved. If that's the only problem with your gt50 ask them to check the voltage settings, as I said before that fixed the image retention issue on my first one. :pray:

I couldn't agree more... my wife however...!!

Will do, JL have emailed me today asking me to let them know when their 'engineer' can visit to look at the TV

As I said, I'd love to get this one sorted, as spending more money on the 'goggle box' isn't a route I really want to go down!

It's times like these that I fondly remember my Panasonic TX 36PB50 (pretty sure that was the model)... a 'massive' 36" CRT with Dolby Digital decoder built in, and to be honest the picture was about as close to perfect as you could get! Bought in 2001/2 for a whopping £2500 (OMG!) and to the best of my knowledge still going strong today! (I sold it 5 years ago to a friend)

Not sure how I'd hang a 36" CRT that weighed 100kg (it took 2 / 3 people to lift it) on my wall though!!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
MrW said:
It's times like these that I fondly remember my Panasonic TX 36PB50 (pretty sure that was the model)... a 'massive' 36" CRT with Dolby Digital decoder built in, and to be honest the picture was about as close to perfect as you could get! Bought in 2001/2 for a whopping £2500 (OMG!) and to the best of my knowledge still going strong today! (I sold it 5 years ago to a friend)

Not sure how I'd hang a 36" CRT that weighed 100kg (it took 2 / 3 people to lift it) on my wall though!!

One going here for thirty quid!

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Sizzers said:
MrW said:

One going here for thirty quid!

That's the one!

Bargain!

Question, how do you hang it on the wall though?

Or do you build a wall around it??!!

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Update

JL's agent is coming to see the TV tomorrow, which I guess really means they will want to take it away, and leave me with a vintage 40" LCD loan set!

I'll update when I know more

TRENDING THREADS