Here we go again.... GT50 with screen burn...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
My first gt50 had image retention as the voltage setting was to high on the tv, once this was amended it worked without any image retention.

try normal mode but reduce the brightness and contrast. Normal mode has pixel orbiter also which reduces image retention but doesn't prevent it.

sorry to hear you have problems with yet another panasonic product, :wall:

TV engineer duly arrived this morning, he remembered me from last time!

Showed him the issues, mentioned the above and his words were "thats an old wifes tale"

Hmmm...

He agreed what I said, and even noticed that the panel is struggling to cope with even basic motion (it appears to wobble..)

On the subject of IR, he says that JL won't cover it on their part of the warranty (TV is 13 months old) but thats the least of my worries, as I'm guessing a new PDP will be the way forward.

I'll see what the coming days bring....

oh, and no loan TV.... just a lonely bracket hanging on my wall.....

D

Deleted member 2457

MrW said:
rocketrazor said:
My first gt50 had image retention as the voltage setting was to high on the tv, once this was amended it worked without any image retention.

try normal mode but reduce the brightness and contrast. Normal mode has pixel orbiter also which reduces image retention but doesn't prevent it.

Showed him the issues, mentioned the above and his words were "thats an old wifes tale"

Hmmm...

He agreed what I said, and even noticed that the panel is struggling to cope with even basic motion (it appears to wobble..)

On the subject of IR, he says that JL won't cover it on their part of the warranty (TV is 13 months old) but thats the least of my worries, as I'm guessing a new PDP will be the way forward.

Are you saying he has taken your TV and you don't know what is happening?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
MrW said:
rocketrazor said:

Hmmm...

Are you saying he has taken your TV and you don't know what is happening?

id agree, they didn't give you a replacement set at all?

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys

In essence, all I know is that JL's agent has taken the TV away (and my WD HD which is used to record, as it has examples of the 'line bleed' from end titles from Freeview and Freesat transmissions)

He stated that JL won't entertain a claim for IR, and that ALL TV's has issues with displaying large areas of black...

It's gone to a workshop 60 miles away, and I must await their call

I've emailed JL this morning and asked them for their input regarding their agent taking my HD and not leaving a loan set

Not ideal I know, but for now I will sit tight and see what the agent suggests is wrong in the next few days

D

Deleted member 2457

MrW said:
Thanks guys

In essence, all I know is that JL's agent has taken the TV away (and my WD HD which is used to record, as it has examples of the 'line bleed' from end titles from Freeview and Freesat transmissions)

He stated that JL won't entertain a claim for IR, and that ALL TV's has issues with displaying large areas of black...

It's gone to a workshop 60 miles away, and I must await their call

I've emailed JL this morning and asked them for their input regarding their agent taking my HD and not leaving a loan set

Not ideal I know, but for now I will sit tight and see what the agent suggests is wrong in the next few days

A bit of a difficult situation, I think you are doing all the right things though. Image retention is different from screen burn though, you might be able to get rid of image retention, screen burn you can't. You have to be careful with Panasonic plasmas with the settings though because if you switch from the normal settings I think it turns the pixel orbitor off which helps prevent image retention. In the manual it states there is a tool in the menu system that helps get rid of image retention.

I reckon they they will order you a new screen and replace it while it is with them that is what they would have done with me given the chance. I would have settled for that too I think my GT50 was really good it was only the fact they offered a replacement in the many negotiations I didn't settle for anything else. Keep us updated.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
JL came back to me via email and said that I should have requested a loan TV...

Can't quite work that one out, but I'll live without it for now (loads of hassle wall mounting a loan TV to be honest!)

For now we will make do with the Panasonic TXP42G10 in the kitchen, which in stark contrast to the GT50 has been completely fault free for 4 years and I think has a better picture!

JL have also said that once they know what is wrong they will either authorise repairs, or replace it like for like... (this could prove interesting with them not stocking the GT60!)

D

Deleted member 2457

MrW said:

Can't quite work that one out, but I'll live without it for now (loads of hassle wall mounting a loan TV to be honest!)

For now we will make do with the Panasonic TXP42G10 in the kitchen, which in stark contrast to the GT50 has been completely fault free for 4 years and I think has a better picture!

JL have also said that once they know what is wrong they will either authorise repairs, or replace it like for like... (this could prove interesting with them not stocking the GT60!)

Some better news - keep on at them. I phoned them everyday for about a week but didn't get a satisfactory outcome I eventually went in store and spoke to a manager which did the trick.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
MrW said:

fingers crossed :pray:

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys

I'll keep it fairly low key for the first week, then step things up if nothing appears to be happening....

Just read the news that Panasonic's Plasma ends production in 61 days time. I'm starting to think that I should recommend to JL that they cut their losses now and exchange this TV for a LCD/LED one (did I just say that out loud?!)

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I'd like to witness these issues, not on my tv mind, as I have this tv and have had none of these issues - only buzzing on white images. There are some calibrated settings on this forum for bluray viewing and normal tv viewing which work a treat. Give them a go.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
mattjax05 said:
I'd like to witness these issues, not on my tv mind, as I have this tv and have had none of these issues - only buzzing on white images. There are some calibrated settings on this forum for bluray viewing and normal tv viewing which work a treat. Give them a go.

I've tried lots of suggestions, mostly from this forum, and none of them have made any difference. The biggest issue is the 'bleed' across the right hand side of the PDP when end credits roll against a one coloured background. (The BBC frequently have white lettering on a red background for end credits), this issue is closely followed by the PDP's inability to handle anything other than slow movement across the screen (the image blurs to the point you have to look away to refocus) Even the engineer that visited this week said this would be unacceptable on a £200 TV, let alone one that cost £1399!

I'm also guessing that todays news from Panasonic regarding the end of Plasma production will also mean that replacement PDP's will be somewhat scarse in the near future, which could mean huge problems for retailers whom have sold 30 series, 50 series and 60/65 series Panasonic Plasma's in the last 3 years which have 5 year guarantee's on them...

If my one can't be repaired economically (I'm in JL's guarantee period now) they have said they will replace it with a like for like model, which is going to prove tricky for them given that they don't stock the GT60 model. I'm loathed to throw more money at a new TV, which leaves me wondering what happens if...

Suggestions most welcome (I like to be forearmed), for a replacement..

Must have's are:

1) DLNA Media Server, ala GT50, which is something I use nearly every day

2) Must be 50" screen size

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
MrW said:
I'm also guessing that todays news from Panasonic regarding the end of Plasma production will also mean that replacement PDP's will be somewhat scarse in the near future, which could mean huge problems for retailers whom have sold 30 series, 50 series and 60/65 series Panasonic Plasma's in the last 3 years which have 5 year guarantee's on them...

Won't be a problem, they'll have taken this into account and will still be able to replace parts / whole sets where needed.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Update:

1 week on, and despite my best efforts I have no idea what is happening...

JL were supposed to provide me with an update on Friday last week, but that never happened, and as of this morning I am still in the dark.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
MrW said:
Update:

1 week on, and despite my best efforts I have no idea what is happening...

JL were supposed to provide me with an update on Friday last week, but that never happened, and as of this morning I am still in the dark.

Time to start complaining then as John Lewis are keen to make bold claims about customer service which in this case simply hasn't happened so get on the phone and start asking why they have not updated you.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm on it!

Having re-read the last email I notice that as of the 2nd November they were quoting... wait for it...

We will get back to you within 48 working hours

That means I won't hear from them until Thursday this week!

I have emailed them back, and told them that their customer service is severely lacking, let's see what they come back with..

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Update:

JL emailed me today, apparently my TV is still 'on test' with their agent..... 8 days after they took it away!

Not sure what they are testing for, as the engineer saw what was wrong with it when he arrived....

JL are quoting me 28 days minimum to have the TV and carry out any repairs necessary

Seriously hacked off now

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
I was told exactly the same thing buy my repair company, my tv was on test for 2 weeks even though the fault was there from the minute you turned it on, as seen by 2 engineers.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
MrW said:
Update:

JL emailed me today, apparently my TV is still 'on test' with their agent..... 8 days after they took it away!

Not sure what they are testing for, as the engineer saw what was wrong with it when he arrived....

JL are quoting me 28 days minimum to have the TV and carry out any repairs necessary

Seriously hacked off now

this is isn't good for John Lewis customer service |(

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
beater said:
I was told exactly the same thing buy my repair company, my tv was on test for 2 weeks even though the fault was there from the minute you turned it on, as seen by 2 engineers.

yours isn't with John Lewis then, is it a local repair firm?

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
beater said:

a local, well, 60 miles away sub contractor...

guessing that JL don't actually fix TV's?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
MrW said:
rocketrazor said:
beater said:

a local, well, 60 miles away sub contractor...

guessing that JL don't actually fix TV's?

No and neither do most retailers, some local and smaller stores have their own engineers but the big chains (JL, Richer Sounds etc) outsource their repairs to other companies. The guys that came to look at my GT30 when I was having issues with that were 40 miles away from me so that's not unusual for the company repairing your TV to be based so far away, the only problem with this approach is that repairs take longer to carry out and 28 days is unfortunately the norm when it comes to quoted repair times.

It's unlikely it will take 28 days though as that's just the maximum quoted repair lead time, I got my GT30 back after 3 weeks every time it was taken away, that was purchased from Richer Sounds and I would presume JL would take a very similar approach.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
It's just a waiting game until then...

My 46GT30 was away for 3 weeks and after that JL rang me and said that it was taking too long to source a new PDP so they were going to refund me. (it was 10 months old and under manufacturers warranty)

There was then something of a 'battle' when I explained that I didn't want a refund, and wanted my TV back... The compromise was me shelling out a further £100 for the 50GT50.

I really don't want to be in that boat again....

D

Deleted member 2457

MrW said:

My 46GT30 was away for 3 weeks and after that JL rang me and said that it was taking too long to source a new PDP so they were going to refund me. (it was 10 months old and under manufacturers warranty)

There was then something of a 'battle' when I explained that I didn't want a refund, and wanted my TV back... The compromise was me shelling out a further £100 for the 50GT50.

I don't see why they took your TV if they haven't got a new screen for it first. With me they ordered in a screen first and then they wanted to collect the TV that is what they should've done with you too.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
gel said:
MrW said:

I don't see why they took your TV if they haven't got a new screen for it first. With me they ordered in a screen first and then they wanted to collect the TV that is what they should've done with you too.

Did they send an engineer to look at it first? (guessing they did, and they didn't just order a new PDP...?)

I think the issue is distance, the repair agent is 60 miles away, so it's probably easier to uplift and deal with it after...

Whichever way you look at it, I'm not overly impressed with JL this time around

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts