Here we go again.... GT50 with screen burn...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

MrW said:
gel said:
MrW said:
It's just a waiting game until then...

My 46GT30 was away for 3 weeks and after that JL rang me and said that it was taking too long to source a new PDP so they were going to refund me. (it was 10 months old and under manufacturers warranty)

There was then something of a 'battle' when I explained that I didn't want a refund, and wanted my TV back... The compromise was me shelling out a further £100 for the 50GT50.

I really don't want to be in that boat again....

I don't see why they took your TV if they haven't got a new screen for it first. With me they ordered in a screen first and then they wanted to collect the TV that is what they should've done with you too.

Did they send an engineer to look at it first? (guessing they did, and they didn't just order a new PDP...?)

I think the issue is distance, the repair agent is 60 miles away, so it's probably easier to uplift and deal with it after...

Whichever way you look at it, I'm not overly impressed with JL this time around

They sent an engineer first, he then when back and did a report to John Lewis and then the new screen was ordered. They then said when it was in they would phone me to collect it the TV to put in the new screen. That is what they should've done with you too.

D

Deleted member 2457

I then decided enough was enough because I wanted to be told what was happening and went in store and spoke to a manager about my situation which is possible you could do too. I then got told I could replace it for a different model because of the grief I had.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys

Guess there are 3 issues here:

1) The TV is 13 months old, so not sure what the situation regarding a refund is, especially given the fact that JL have taken it away for repair

2) It was bought from JL online, so not sure how far I'll get talking to someone in store

3) If I do get a refund what on earth do I buy? (would like the DLNA/Media server element the GT50 has, and like features like THX) - Starting to resign myself to the fact that if I do get a refund that it's replacement will have to be an LCD/LED.

Need some suggestions/input please?

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
As ever, many thanks for the suggestions and comments thus far.

I was in the area, so popped into JL today to have a quick look over some of their TV range in the flesh.

The recommendation from the sales staff was to swap the GT50 for a Samsung F7000 or F8000. The biggest issue I can see with this is that I'd need to 'upgrade' to a 55" TV, and this is going to cost me more than a few quid.

Interesting indeed.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
gel said:
MrW said:
Thanks Gel

The GT60 is just over a year old... I'm guessing they will want to go down the try and repair first route...

I bought it online from JL (well, the original GT30 came from Norwich JL, but subsequently I ended up dealing with them online) I had to pay £100 to 'upgrade' to the GT50 as my GT30 was a 46"

I don't really want to spend any more on a TV unless I really have to...

Where did you get the price match on your VT65 from?

Total Digital:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_51&products_id=4749

Hispek are doing 10 per cent off at the moment too:

http://www.hispek.com/panasonic/plasma-televisions/panasonic-txp50vt65-free-5-year-warranty-50-neo-plasma-full-hd-3d-smart-viera-television-pd-15144.php

Spending more on this TV is definitely worth it. When you speak to them they might send a guy out first, tell them then you want it swapped for something else then. With me they just ordered a new screen without even telling me! I was very annoyed because I had three already, I then went in store and explained to a manager and then got a good outcome.

gel,

reading other posts in this forum it appears that others are having trouble getting JL to price match totaldigital. Did you submit an online NKU request, and if so did you use total digital or premier AV (that's what the shop is called)

Or, do you live near premier av and have a local JL you use? (I 'believe' the shop has to be within 7 miles of a JL to price match in store)

thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

MrW said:
gel said:
MrW said:
Thanks Gel

The GT60 is just over a year old... I'm guessing they will want to go down the try and repair first route...

I bought it online from JL (well, the original GT30 came from Norwich JL, but subsequently I ended up dealing with them online) I had to pay £100 to 'upgrade' to the GT50 as my GT30 was a 46"

Total Digital:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_51&products_id=4749

http://www.hispek.com/panasonic/plasma-televisions/panasonic-txp50vt65-free-5-year-warranty-50-neo-plasma-full-hd-3d-smart-viera-television-pd-15144.php

Spending more on this TV is definitely worth it. When you speak to them they might send a guy out first, tell them then you want it swapped for something else then. With me they just ordered a new screen without even telling me! I was very annoyed because I had three already, I then went in store and explained to a manager and then got a good outcome.

gel,

reading other posts in this forum it appears that others are having trouble getting JL to price match totaldigital. Did you submit an online NKU request, and if so did you use total digital or premier AV (that's what the shop is called)

Or, do you live near premier av and have a local JL you use? (I 'believe' the shop has to be within 7 miles of a JL to price match in store)

thanks

I just phone up my local shop (Milton Keynes) and they do the price match with Total Digital. Yep, I have heard them refer to themselves as Premier AV on their receipts when I have bought stuff online from there, but Total Digital is fine to use. Miles don't come into they just ask is it an actual physical shop. I have done it about 4-5 times now. PRC Direct works too. Anywhere where there is an actual shop.

D

Deleted member 2457

Samsung are doing good deals at the moment. Use the price at Total Digital and then get conditional cashback at John Lewis (you will get a free Samsung phone too). The Sony 55 inch 805 is a good deal too:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_51&products_id=4847

The Samsung 55F7000 here:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_51&products_id=4771

Get a free mobile phone at John Lewis too.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
MrW said:
gel said:
MrW said:
Thanks Gel

Total Digital:

gel,

thanks

I just phone up my local shop (Milton Keynes) and they do the price match with Total Digital. Yep, I have heard them refer to themselves as Premier AV on their receipts when I have bought stuff online from there, but Total Digital is fine to use. Miles don't come into they just ask is it an actual physical shop. I have done it about 4-5 times now. PRC Direct works too. Anywhere where there is an actual shop.

I got John Lewis to price match TotalDigital online and in store for my Samsung 55F8000, online was easy and honoured within days but in store took a bit of fighting but as I was well aware of the T&C's of the price match they didn't have an argument that held water. Distance has no bearing on the price match and TotalDigital has a physical store so any potential argument made by John Lewis is irrelevant as the store meets all the requirements for a price match as I can confirm having got the price match myself and bought in store at the matched price.

I have a theory that if you submit a price match request that is significantly cheaper than their online and in store price they argue more aggresively about matching the price but stand your ground and know the T&C's for a price match and they will honour it.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
gel said:
Samsung are doing good deals at the moment. Use the price at Total Digital and then get conditional cashback at John Lewis (you will get a free Samsung phone too). The Sony 55 inch 805 is a good deal too:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_51&products_id=4847

The Samsung 55F7000 here:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_51&products_id=4771

Get a free mobile phone at John Lewis too.

thanks guys

free mobile phone? Can't see it mentioned anywhere...

Gel expects you to buy a mobile phone for the £200 cash back.

"Special Offer: Claim up to £200 cashback via redemption.
Offer ends 24 December 2013

To qualify for this offer, buy a selected Samsung Smart TV between 19 September - noon on 24 December 2013, and then purchase one or more additional Samsung product/s within 28 days of your original TV purchase, from the same John Lewis shop or from johnlewis.com.

The maximum value of the ‘Reward’ is determined by the model and size of TV you buy. The total of the additional Samsung product/s you buy must be up to or over the value of that ‘Reward’ to qualify for cashback in full. For example, if the value of the ‘Reward’ from the TV purchase is £150, then you need to buy additional Samsung product/s totalling £150 or over to claim your full ‘Reward’. If you spend less on your second purchase, you'll only be able to claim up to the value of that second purchase.
Terms and conditions apply"

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Gel expects you to buy a mobile phone for the £200 cash back. "Special Offer: Claim up to £200 cashback via redemption. Offer ends 24 December 2013 To qualify for this offer, buy a selected Samsung Smart TV between 19 September - noon on 24 December 2013, and then purchase one or more additional Samsung product/s within 28 days of your original TV purchase, from the same John Lewis shop or from johnlewis.com. The maximum value of the ‘Reward’ is determined by the model and size of TV you buy. The total of the additional Samsung product/s you buy must be up to or over the value of that ‘Reward’ to qualify for cashback in full. For example, if the value of the ‘Reward’ from the TV purchase is £150, then you need to buy additional Samsung product/s totalling £150 or over to claim your full ‘Reward’. If you spend less on your second purchase, you'll only be able to claim up to the value of that second purchase. Terms and conditions apply"

Worked out yesterday you can get a camera instead of a mobile phone if you wish. Or I suppose money for a tablet. Deals are here:

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue55f7000-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-freesat-hd-and-voice-motion-control-with-2x-3d-glasses/p430528

The cashback deal is on here, and you can still price match with Total Digital.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys

I thought that was what you mean, but its always worth checking eh?!

If I end up going down the Samsung route I'll probably invest the money in another TV for one of the children... (by the look of it I can get one for just over £200!)

For what it is worth, I've submitted a NKU price match request via JL online to price match an F7000 with Total Digital, so I should have that avenue covered if JL go down the change the TV route, which to be honest as every day goes by without the GT50 is my favoured route now. (way too many issues on this forum now about GT50's and now VT65's...)

Just discovered this, so if JL do reject Total Digital....

http://www.bennettsonline.co.uk/product/samsung-ue55f7000

D

Deleted member 2457

MrW said:
Thanks guys

If I end up going down the Samsung route I'll probably invest the money in another TV for one of the children... (by the look of it I can get one for just over £200!)

For what it is worth, I've submitted a NKU price match request via JL online to price match an F7000 with Total Digital, so I should have that avenue covered if JL go down the change the TV route, which to be honest as every day goes by without the GT50 is my favoured route now. (way too many issues on this forum now about GT50's and now VT65's...)

Good idea, let us know how you get on.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
MrW said:
Thanks guys

Yep, Bennett's is a a good one to price match with.

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
gel said:
gel said:
MrW said:
Thanks guys

Bennetts are on my doorstep, as is JL at home.. it may prove useful to shop instore this time I think...

Now I just need to get JL online to refund me for the GT50. Think I'll go down the 'Ive lost confidence in it' route

D

Deleted member 2457

MrW said:
gel said:
gel said:
MrW said:
Thanks guys

Bennetts are on my doorstep, as is JL at home.. it may prove useful to shop instore this time I think...

Now I just need to get JL online to refund me for the GT50. Think I'll go down the 'Ive lost confidence in it' route

They definitely can't turn that one down then. :cheers:

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I think the price promise is also valid for 28 days after purchase. If you can wait till 1st December you might be able to price match on 27th December for sale prices? Worth a go

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
I think the price promise is also valid for 28 days after purchase. If you can wait till 1st December you might be able to price match on 27th December for sale prices? Worth a go

Indeed it is... now there's a thought!

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Part 1 of my 'plan' complete, JL online will match Total Digital on the 55F7000 @ £1505.00 (thats a massive £294 saving!)

Now just need JL to confirm what they are doing about my GT50!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
MrW said:
Part 1 of my 'plan' complete, JL online will match Total Digital on the 55F7000 @ £1505.00 (thats a massive £294 saving!)

Now just need JL to confirm what they are doing about my GT50!

That's not bad at all MrW :clap:

Just to make you aware though...the 55F8000 is still available at the price I paid which is £1,689 if your budget can stretch that far? I was fortunate to get £200 cash back via a Samsung promotion at the time I bought mine which brought it down to £1,489 and at that price you would be hard pressed to beat that price in the sales, with a 5 year warranty thrown in from John Lewis it was a no brainer. That represented a £911 saving on the in store ticket price of £2,400 :grin:

Either would be a great alternative to the GT50...are you not tempted to get a GT60 or VT65 plasma to replace it? Just curious if your reasoning is the same as mine was at the time I bought my 55F8000?

MrW

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
@oldboy To be honest I can hardly justify the additional cost for the F7000. If only Samsungs current promotion meant money off, but not on the condition you buy 2 products! (I really have no need for a second samsung product right now!)

Am I right in thinking the biggest difference between the 7000 and 8000 is 800 refresh rate versus 1000? Any other major differences?

I've pretty much decided that after 24 months and 2 Panasonic Plasma's (GT30 and GT50) that enough is enough. The fact that Panasonic have just pulled the plug on Plasma production has helped make my mind up, and I've yet to see a Panasonic LED set that grabs my attention. Yes I'll miss the THX modes from the GT50, but probably not that much, and I certainly won't miss being over cautious about what is being watched on the TV!

TRENDING THREADS