Help with speakers for a Denon DM39. Newbie on a student budget!

BDante

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
A relative kindly bought me a DM39 for Xmas, but I'm pretty clueless as to what speakers to get on a pretty, OK very, tight budget. Sort of £50-60 pretty tight.

Rather than head straight to Richer Sounds for a pair of Gale 3010s or Wharfedale Diamond 9.0, I thought I'd have a quick look on the bay, but I haven't a clue what would be suitable for my system. £26 will land me some Technics SB-HD501, would they be suitable? An extra tenner could buy a pair of Denon SC-A3L.

Basically, what do I need to look out for in a set of speakers to make sure I don't damage my system? Thanks in advance for helping someone as clueless as I am!

JohnnyC

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
You should be able to pick up a good pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers from ebay for £50 - £60.

These are a great match for the Denon.

matthewpiano

Some good beer budget 2nd handers off Ebay:

JPW Mini Monitor

JPW Minim

JPW Sonata

Mission 760, 760i or 760i SE

Mordaunt-Short MS10 or MS10i or MS 10i Pearl

Mordaunt-Short MS20i or MS20i Pearl

Tannoy Mercury M1

All fine little speakers that should work well with the Denon

ROTH AV

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Or brand new OLI2 loudspeakers from the Roth heritage products store on Ebay at £35.00 for the pair.........

http://www.whathifi.com/review/roth-audio-oli2

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have a D-M38. The advice on here was to up my budget and go for Dali Zensor 1s. I listened to this advice, stretched my budget, and the improvement in sound has been a revelation. They should also stand me in good stead for any potential upgrade of amp to a budget system of separates in the future e.g. Marantz PM6005.

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
The Wharfedales are a good match, as would be the Tannoy's. If you're really lucky, you might find a pair of Q Acoustics 1010, 2010's or the like. Boston Acoustics A25's might be on there too if you're lucky, or some KEF Cresta's. Also check the likes of Gumtree and just hope for a bargain!

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
KidKomet said:
The Wharfedales are a good match, as would be the Tannoy's. If you're really lucky, you might find a pair of Q Acoustics 1010, 2010's or the like. Boston Acoustics A25's might be on there too if you're lucky, or some KEF Cresta's. Also check the likes of Gumtree and just hope for a bargain!

i can vouch for Boston Acoustics A25's a real budget belter - if you can streeeeetch to GBP79 thats how much i last saw em in Richer Sounds sale

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
My daughter as the DM38 - if you can find any of the old small Missions 7xx series, I would go for them.

Gave my Mission 731's to my sister in law many years ago, she still uses them to this day and refused to give them ( bought the unit wiithout speakers) back instead gave us a pair of JPW monitors which she originally bought with her amp and cdplayer (Richer sounds many years ago). They are not bad but those missions are alot better.

if you can find a mint pair of mission 7XX you'll be o.k.

TRENDING THREADS