Help! Stream Magic 6

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Just purchased a Stream Magic 6 in the Richers sale...all working fine, connected to my router, firmware up to date, internet radio works a treat...

Cannot get further than Twonky recognising 203 songs in my 4,000 iTunes library. No artwork either but I've just bought some cheap software which will embed all the artwork so it shows up in the Stream Magic app.

Why won't Twonky recognise all the other music? at the moment I've gone back to using my NDS-1 and iPod Classic, which is NOT what I bought the Stream Magic for!!!

Many thanks

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Nope. So far Twonky has found 203, 37, 3 and 0 songs. If no-one replies I'll take the Stream Magic back to RS I think. 'Easy to use'? right??!!

A

Anonymous

Would have thought this is more likely to do with the way your are accessing/storing your music rather than a fault with the Stream Magic (However I could be wrong :) ).

What device is your music stored on and do you have any oher wireless device than can access and see all your music?

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys...too late last night for patience...

The Stream Magic appears fine and was streaming perfectly until I noticed it was playing the same small selection of songs...203 to be precise!

Twonky is running on my Acer laptop which is strangely set up with two 120GB hard drives, c: and d: iTunes front end is running on c: where windows 7 is, while the music library is all on d: where I transferred it to when I ran out of space (it takes up about 105GB, all ALAC)

I have also bought a Western Digital My Book Live 2TB so perhaps the answer is to set up the NAS and try and transfer the whole library to that?

i would like to keep the ALAC library if possible as I have an iPhone, IPod and iPad to which I can transfer songs to for mobile & headphone use.

I can see the library using the Stream Magic app on my iPad, but missing 95% of it (or more) and no artwork except that which is embedded

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Still no further on - managed to share all the tracks from my laptop and was working OK. Now set up my NAS, updated the firmware and all I am getting is 'internal server error' when I try to use the WD software/website.

Stream Magic recognises the Twonky server on the WD but says it is 'empty' ?????? (there is 118GB of data stored)

Any clues?? Once again just gone back to my iPod Classic (which sounds great, but it wasn't really my intention to buy a £600 DAC) |(

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Thanks John, now working but still got a problem with disappearing metadata between the PC and the MyBook. Baffled as to how this is happening as I am using the exact same files and folders from the PC

A

Anonymous

I have a similar problem. Boxing day I bought a stream magic 6, 851a cambridge amp and some Tannoy DCT6SE's all from Richer Sounds. Delighted with my choice after months of debating which way to go, sonus or not as I was building up from scratch. Wanting quality and ease of use it seemed I made the best choice. Frustung shelling out so much and not being able to listen all my music. The stream magic app on my iphone 4 is so slow and doesnt display album art. Something I was not aware of as all the marketting avoids to tell you this and uses the ipad. To make things easier I bought a Cambridge BT100 blue-tooth adapter... It continuely drops out after about 3mins 43 second from my macbook. So I have contacted cambridge via their help/support online service as you cannot phone them. They haven't got back. Like you I think I may just send everything back as I have spent a lot of money and find myself using a bose dock or pure radio!

CambridgeAudioCare

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello Jon,

Sorry for the delay- there has been some confusion about how the BT100 update was being made available. I have updated your query with the software.

With regards to seeing a complete library on the Stream Magic 6, you need to ensure that the library is itself complete and in a single location. Twonky (and most other UPnP software will only share what it is asked to share and if you have music outside of this location, it will not be reproduced elsewhere.

I hope this helps

Ed Selley

Cambridge Audio Support

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the response Ed, now all working but still missing most artwork and roughly 25% of my library is listed as 'Various' rather than the individual artists simply because its in the 'compilations' iTunes folder, but even moving folders doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Other than that and a dopey shuffle function I'm very happy - it sounds superb!

Jon - I wouldn't bother with the Bluetooth dongle - an extra £50 will buy you an Apple TV and an optical cable. Plug into the optical input on the SM6 to stream from iphone, touch iPad or Mac

A

Anonymous

I had the same issue with Twonky on my PC which serves my IPAD through a QED uplay by bluetooth to my hi-fi.

The issue is Twonky and how itunes does not store the image files in the album folder. When I run Twonky MAnager I can see there is no artwork for most of my itunes libary.

Have a look at albums where you have the art and those where you do not. You will find no artwork!

I have now started using dbpoweramp cd ripper to rip CD's into ALAC into the "automatically add to itunes" folder. This way I get all the correct tagging and artwork. You can also use mediamonkey by adding your itunes library to mediamonkey and then usin the auto tagging which will go and find the album artwork from amazon.com or others. dbpoweramp and mediamonkey are dwonloaded from the web. Just google them.

How do you like the Streammagic sound and ipad app? I tested this vs Naim Unitiqute but not at same store. Still undecided which to buy!

A

Anonymous

The sound from the M6 is great, although it took a while to get it to work reliably. Had to reboot everything, more than once.

The StreamMagic app is a useless embarassment.

The only way I have found to get it to work is to uninstall then reinstall on the iPhone or iPad.Obviously you are not going to do that very often - especially as it doesn't always work. And even if it does it may then fail to find the same M6 you were controlling a few minutes before. In addition, if you get the retry/help screen there is no way back, no way to access the settings - like delete the cached album art which some have suggested is the problem. Help only tells you to reboot your router - again something I don't want to keep doing.

I'm puzzled as to why Cambridge Audio keep it on the App store. It's dragging the brand down.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Thanks gts and others and sorry for the late reply.

I will try db or media monkey as I cannot get this artist data OR artwork to work properly or reliably to save my life!!!

All I can say to anyone who is considering buying la streamer YES you will get better sound BUT be prepared for a total nightmare in setting it up unless you know everything there is to know about

Storing digital music libraries

Configuring said libraries

Extensive experience of server software

I am now waiting for a friend to help me put this right so that my library works anything like the iPod Classic I swopped it for. This friend has a Masters in Information Management Systems. I should not need to call in this kin of help to get a piece of Hifi to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:quest: :quest: :quest: :quest:

A

Anonymous

I thought I would just add an update to my post above. I received a update to the BT100 off Cambridge. This required me to install some software to update the device. This could only be done on a Windows PC (I have a MAC so a friends computer was required..). Hurray it fixed it! But then 1 week later my SM6 siad a Firmware update was available. Said Firmware installed and I have no found that my SM6 will not even recognise my BT100 blu-tooth device. The SM6 just shows "BT100 NO CONNECTION". Strangely is does sync with my MAC but not the SM6 so back to square 1.

I have experienced all the problems that HDNumpty has as above as well in terms of the App (using iphone4) and music library. I have spent £600 on SM6 and £1,100 on a CA851a to get quality music but find myself constantly having to try and work out why I cannot do something as basic as listen to my music, When it happens its great but the experience as a customer is not good. This is my first experience with CA which was recommended by Richer Sounds.

I have also just updated the Stream Magic App on my iphone. Having done this the app now fails to allow me to selet 'Digital Input' The option is there but when selected nothing happens. So I cannot select the BT100 via my phone or any other option.

I have submitted another query to CA and will await a reply and I hope some resolution. I have questioned whether I have a dodgy SM6 as I cannot believe with all the reviews and the companies reputation this is acceptable. I will keep you updated.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the updates to this thread which are useful. I have tonight converted two albums from my NAS (WD) library that previously showed no 'artist' data (they displayed as 'Various') to FLAC using DBpoweramp. Took about 20 mins each and...

HOORAY! Missing data reappears! I now have to go through the long and laborious process of finding out which albums have missing metadata and convert them all...then add artwork using Medamonkey as the member above suggested.

So hopefully by April I will have a library working as I expected it to work... :rofl:

on the App subject, I updated Stream Magic on iPhone 4 and iPad yesterday. Initially going back into the iPad app crashed the Stream Magic every time, however uninstalling and re-installing the app seems to have cured the problem.

Other annoyances are that Internet radio stations are fiddle to store using the remote, but easy with either of the apps (Linn Classic sounds particularly marvellous), also the 'shuffle' feature often plays the same sequence of songs (but not tonight, weirdly)

I shall report further.

As I've said above, I really wouldn't bother with the Bluetooth dongle - if you have a Mac and iDevices I would just buy an Apple TV and an optical cable - problem solved. Get a refund on the dongle.

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Good lord, I was considering the stream magic, as well as pioneer 50 and sonos connect to get into streaming, but this thread has made me seriously think about taking the stream magic off my list. It all looks like too much hard work!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts