Replace Stream Magic 6 v2 with Linn Majik DS?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Its not long since I bought a Stream Magic 6 V2 to play Spotify. Whilst it sounds really very good and a big improvment on the Sonos Connect it replaces, Linn seems to offer more long term support and upgrades (ie Tidal etc) Im also being a HiFi snob and dont like haveing a CA product in my rack. My original concerns is how easy would it be to play Spotify and not being wirelees. I could use the network port out the back of the Sonos to run it. So would it sound as good as the CA or better? and how easy is it to play Spotify?, I'll be buying a used one off Ebay for around £900.

And yes Cnoevil i should of listened to you in the first place.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I hope you end up enjoying it as much as I do. As all on here know, the DS is by far my favorite source....but everyone must find their own path.

It is my firm belief that your amp/new speakers have more potential than you realize....DS + Class A + Revealing Speakers can be very addictive. There are other tweaks that I would suggest trying, but one thing at a time. *diablo*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers CnoEvil do you play Spotify through your's and is it non phafing?

As to the speakers im just building up the stamina to list my thoughts, as a quick one they are simply amazing! I can not stop listening to them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Sounds easy enough hopfully somebody may be along who uses it. I just dont think CA will support the Stream Magic well enough they have not allowed V1 versions to include Spotify Connect more interested in selling new hardware. Plus i would really like a bit of Linn kit think they look good. Just waiting for a black one to come up 2 silvers on Ebay at the moment.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Excellent It would appear pretty easy! Some people say the Naim streamers sound better, however i would not consider a Naim product full stop, except the Muso, dont know why just a look, brand thing.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
boggit said:
Excellent It would appear pretty easy! Some people say the Naim streamers sound better, however i would not consider a Naim product full stop, except the Muso, dont know why just a look, brand thing.

You can find some people who will say almost anything! *biggrin*

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I had a Majik DSM - very good indeed but expensive. However when I was persuaded to try the Logitech player already incorporated in my LivZen through an Mtech Hiface dac it was no worse than the Majik (and a lot cheaper) which I then sold. The Majik has AirPlay so I streamed Spotify via an iPad - now I stream it via an Airport Express. If you're as fickle as I am (and if you're not, count yourself lucky) there's constant pressure to upgrade the Majik to an Akurate and before long your children are starving, your wife has left and the bailiffs are knocking.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Marou funny, ive just built my own speakers and thinking about selling the Sugden for an unknown Norwegian amp so I like smart quality, cheaper alternatives.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
boggit said:
Thanks Marou funny, ive just built my own speakers and thinking about selling the Sugden for an unknown Norwegian amp so I like smart quality, cheaper alternatives.

The DS + Sugden will sound quite different to the DSI....I have only liked Linn amplification when combined with Kef R Series speakers.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well the Stream Magic 6 v2 has gone, as much as the sound quality was superb much better than my Sonos ZP80 i could not have a CA in my rack. Also they did not upgrade the software in the V1 to Spotify Connect. That just tells me they wont support the products with software upgrades, you have to go out and buy a new unit.

Finally got a Linn Majik DS on Ebay from Switzerland and we all know what happend to that currancy earlier in the week! Should arrive next week.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Ummmm....... Linn Majik Ds arrived from Switzaland today unexpectantly! Good!

Condition A1, Software B+, worked very quickly and I can control Spotify as if I had Spotifiy Connect, Brilliant simple, Not an A1 as I have had a few issues with volume and control I'm putting the down to unfamiluar system. and the later Red Stripe!

Sound. As of now, given I have not mastered the software and I have cancelled the pub and had to drink 3 cans of Red Stripe to dull the disapointment. No where near as good as the CA Stream Magic V2. Period. Who would of thought! What a journey! Surely I must being doing somthing wrong? Software is awsome and I can see it being future proof and flexible and streets ahead of the CA but the sound its not bad, but subtley inferior just as the CA was subtley better than the Sonos, but after time you just new it was vastly better more fun, precise, tight bass and rich everthing. God this really is a strange hobby.

Im hoping to report tomorrow on better sound quality. Unfortunatly I'm working all day tomorrow and Sunday hence why I had to try it tonight. but for now slightly disapointed in sound however the eco system is very good. More to follow I hope.

And to cap it all somebody bought my Sugden A21 SE for the asking price an hour before the listing ended, will I regret this?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I hope things improve (leave it on repeat for 24 hours - no amp needed). I would expect it to sound quite different to the CA. The DS's more refined but less forward sound will either win you over, or you will continue to miss the sparkly, more exciting sound of the CA.

Give it a week or two, with as an eclectic a range of music as possible....if the CA is still preferable after that, I think (hope) you should get your money back. FWIW. different firmware updates can sound different (IME), but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

I can only apologize if you have ended up heading in the wrong direction as a result of my eulogizing. *sad*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
No need to apoligize even if i dont like the sound! I'm a grown man i make my own decisions based on a large amount pf parameters. As of now I think you should hear a Stream Magic!! Its a funny old hobby. But I have to say the software is brilliant i can play Spotify as if it were Connect built in and it sounds better than Tidal! Which has limited albums of the music I listen too. I may have a setting wrong so am wiling to give it the benifit of the doubt glad I heard it with the Sugden before it went, I'm a little sad about that. Tried ringing Abrahamsen to order a V20 UP no reply! I do hope they finish early on Friday, as then I'm looking for a replacement amp other than ordering a V20.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
boggit said:
No need to apoligize even if i dont like the sound! I'm a grown man i make my own decisions based on a large amount pf parameters. As of now I think you should hear a Stream Magic!! Its a funny old hobby. But I have to say the software is brilliant i can play Spotify as if it were Connect built in and it sounds better than Tidal! Which has limited albums of the music I listen too. I may have a setting wrong so am wiling to give it the benifit of the doubt glad I heard it with the Sugden before it went, I'm a little sad about that. Tried ringing Abrahamsen to order a V20 UP no reply! I do hope they finish early on Friday, as then I'm looking for a replacement amp other than ordering a V20.

Of course that is the case, but....

I try to be as accurate (and impartial) as possible and always feel a little responsible if my descriptions mislead. The big upside of giving advice, is when it ends up being of benefit to someone.

I have listened to streamers from Naim, Cyrus and Olive, but the DS was much more to my taste. I have not really enjoyed CA products that I've heard in the past but maybe their streamer is different.

ATM my system sounds vibrant, musical and in balance, so it would take a lot to make me change.....that and a shortage of money!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I've never really liked CA products, a bit bright, brittle and boomy the Magic 6 was very natural, tight, accurate and detailed. So far I finding the Linn rather flabby.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
boggit said:
So far I finding the Linn rather flabby.

Now that is strange.

By "flabby" do you mean a woolly Mid/Treble, with a Bass that is boomy and uncontrolled with overhang ie. the opposide of tight, controlled, clean and detailed?

If this is the case, I can't help thinking something else is going on, as these are not traits I have ever heard with a DS (even a Sneaky).

It is not as punchy as a Naim, but imo, more refined and musical. It should sound detailed, refined and controlled, with a more "analogue" type of sound. People who don't like it, either prefer a more "in your face" presentation, or a more analytical one.

If it sounds flabby, it is possibly producing a frequency that is exciting a room mode. Generally, tight bass is a mixture of -

a) The control the amp exerts on the speaker and

b) The interaction between the speaker and the room.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
boggit said:
sorry CnoEvil i missed your last post, Im at work all weekend so have had little chance to play, however I will probally have more postive news later when i get home as i have improved things.

The software is amazing, bit tricky to master but it does lots of things im also having issues with sould levals between sources so many various volume controls. Also having alot of drop outs, its currently being provided the network curtisy of the Sonos.

That is quite understandable, my friend.

I'm almost as interested in trying to get to the bottom of things as you are.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
sorry CnoEvil i missed your last post, Im at work all weekend so have had little chance to play, however I will probally have more postive news later when i get home as i have improved things.

The software is amazing, bit tricky to master but it does lots of things im also having issues with sound levels between sources, so many various volume controls. Also having alot of drop outs, its currently being provided the network curtesy of the Sonos.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
OK I thought I'd had it cracked this morning. Last night I changed from output B to A output plus I got the hang of the software a little more. I knew the output error wasn't it but..

So tonight after work, grappling with getting Spotify to work on the DS it would seem with Spotify it sounds well the same as the Sonos. Throw some CD FLAC's or Hi Res and it sounds rich, accurate and enjoyable. With Spotify it sounds a bit slow and flabby. The CA sounded just as good with Spotify as other sources.

Unfortunately I have to pack the Sugden up so end of experiments for now. Looks like I'll have to get another CA to compare for definite comparison. It's a funny old game learnt a lot though! The AMS went for to much!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
boggit said:
So tonight after work, grappling with getting Spotify to work on the DS it would seem with Spotify it sounds well the same as the Sonos. Throw some CD FLAC's or Hi Res and it sounds rich, accurate and enjoyable. With Spotify it sounds a bit slow and flabby. The CA sounded just as good with Spotify as other sources.

IME. Spotify shouldn't sound as good as CD or Hi Res.

When you have an amp again, can you try Linn Radio (3 stations @ 320 kbps) which sound great, but still (imo) not as good as well mastered CD/24 bit?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts