(Help!) Small compact speakers or standing speakers? : budget 200 pounds (Room 12 m3)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi fellow hifi-freaks!

I'm just about to by my first set of hifi speakers and amplifier and i can't really figure out what to by.

I have considered both standing speakers and compact speakers but i don't know if my room is to small

for standing speakers, so i will just explain how my room is.

My room is around 12 m3 small, and the speakers is ment to stand at either the floor beside my desk (around 1m - 1,2 m apart) or on the desk (0,8m - 1m apart).

I listen to alot of alternative music (Alternative rock, jazz, funk, pop), but definitly now hardstyle og death metal. So my wishes are a dynamic sound, with lots of details, and enough bass.

I know it's a tough task but i have looked at some speakers; new aswell as used.

Dali concept 1 (I thought they were a bit agressive)

Dali lektor 1 (Nice looks in white, fine bass)

B&W dm686 (Really great warm sound great bass)

System audio saxo 1 (Haven't heard them!)

Other suggestions

BTW i come from Denmark
smiley-cool.gif

Thanks

Jens

A

Anonymous

I haven't really heard some standing speakers, so i have no suggestions myself :)

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Will you be sitting at the desk to listen most of the time?

Check out Audioengine and Epoz Aktimate.

Do you also need an amplifier?

A

Anonymous

Yes probably.

I have checked out those two now, but they are not available in Denmark. But yes i am looking for an amp too, so the speakers have to be passive.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Have you got an amp in mind? Also what is the budget for that? And do you want an amp or an all in one solution like the Denon DM38DAB or Marantz M-CR603?

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't go for floorstanders, given your placement and budget. There are far better standmounts to be found in that pricerange, although I've read great things about Wharfedale floorstanders here. And should you come across a pair of Kef iQ5's, be sure to give them a good listen.

What is the rest of your system? If you're purely looking for "desktop" speakers then I would suggest Kurzweil KS-40A or Adam A3X. They are powered speakers, which means you don't need an amp but you can connect only one source at a time. The A3X will be light on bass though, A5X will be better but also more expensive.

Some of the characteristics you give (dynamic sound, lots of detail) are very much determined by your choice of amplifier. Since you are (supposedly) going to buy both, I'd suggest not to focus too much on one part. Audition amp and speakers together so you know how they interact. Going by your speaker preference, look for a Yamaha or Marantz amp (B&W works better with Yamaha imho).

A

Anonymous

dave_k i have looked at those, but i actually just want an amp/reciever, i was looking for some vintage ones like the onkyo a-3800 and some old luxman and pioneer.

A

Anonymous

@ tremon

Thanks for your good reply.

I definetly want an amp, because of the flexibility it provides.

Do you know anything about nad, luxman, onkyo etc. are they as good as Marantz too? I have heard i lot of great things about the Marantz.

I think i will maybe buy the amp first, and then the spearks, is that a great idea?

A

Anonymous

I would point you to this comment for some advice. If you read the entire thread you will find all manner of opinions there, but this one makes the most sense to me. Two things I will add:
1) when you already have a (lo-fi) amp+speaker set, then upgrading the amp first will have the greatest effect
2) It's usually easier to find an amp for your speakers, than to find speakers that match your amp and your ears

As for the amplifiers, I won't be of much help. Luxman is supposed to be great (better than Marantz) but I have never heard them, Onkyo I have only heard as a home cinema receiver (wouldn't recommend them for music, but newest models are supposed to be better) and Nad is a bit of a hit-and-miss story for me: heard them at the end of B&W speakers and the sound was very dark and dull to me. I have also heard them with Dalis which was really great.

There is another thing to consider: when you're working at your desk, the speakers will be much closer to your ears than intended. Some speakers will sound completely different at that range, so be sure to audition that close to the speakers as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts