HELP looking for a DAC that has Spotify Connect, 192kHz and I can control via an app

fcienfuegos

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone, I've decided to add a DAC to my hi-fi system, I want to be able to play songs from my computer and also on-line radio like Spotify. I can't seem to be able to find a DAC that can do both and can also do 192Khz output (or higher). I would also like o be ablet to control it remotely with my phone or tablet. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
fcienfuegos said:
Hello everyone, I've decided to add a DAC to my hi-fi system, I want to be able to play songs from my computer and also on-line radio like Spotify. I can't seem to be able to find a DAC that can do both and can also do 192Khz output (or higher). I would also like o be ablet to control it remotely with my phone or tablet. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you
look up the yamaha music cast it has all of what you want .

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Have you looked at the arcam Airdac?

Through upnp this will work for Android phone and pc. It has airplay for Apple products.

It sounds great Too!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
At £300 this is a pretty decent piece of kit, virtually everything built in, just add a nice pair of active speakers....

However, if you want something less expensive, the Raumfeld Connector 2 can be had for aound £120-150, though if you want Airplay or Bluetooth, you will need an add-on, no digital inputs either, might be a deal breaker...*unknw*

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
The Raumfeld connector is pretty good, but that Yamaha box looks to be better! I think I'd go for that myself, even though it's twice the price. I'm now wondering if I should be looking to sell my Raumfeld. Bet the support for Yamaha is better, too...

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
look up the yamaha music cast it has all of what you want .

You know Yamaha MusicCast is an entire range of network audio products right?

So it would be more helpful if you were specific. But I presume you mean the WXC-50 pre/dac?
sorry forgot to put that little bit of detail in . Yes that's right the WXC-50 amp or the pre amp .

the amp is £399 and pre is £299 but this should be out now or sometime this month

The iPhone app is out on iTunes now to control both units which you can use an iPad as well .

both units have a good spec and use a very good onboard dac so check it out .

fcienfuegos

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestions, I'm leaing towards the Marantz M-CR611, it has evertyhing I need, althoug is not trully a DAC it does fucntins like one...but it's a little pricey.

http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=WirelessMusicSystems&SubCatId=&ProductId=MCR611

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
fcienfuegos said:
Thank you for your suggestions, I'm leaing towards the Marantz M-CR611, it has evertyhing I need, althoug is not trully a DAC it does fucntins like one...but it's a little pricey.

http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=Wi...
I would seriously look at the Yamaha its compatible with everything it uses a very good onboard dac , multi room music , works with active speakers , AirPlay , Spotify , any music file you can think of and loads more .....

fcienfuegos

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
fcienfuegos said:

http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=Wi...
I would seriously look at the Yamaha its compatible with everything it uses a very good onboard dac , multi room music , works with active speakers , AirPlay , Spotify , any music file you can think of and loads more .....

I will and it's about half the price of the Marantz. Thank you

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Think I might get one for evaluation if they're available now.

i wonder what power amp Yamaha would pair the wxc-50 with? Or maybe the integrated is the way to go....

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Think I might get one for evaluation if they're available now.

i wonder what power amp Yamaha would pair the wxc-50 with? Or maybe the integrated is the way to go....
I am not sure about power amp side of things .... but I've ordered the pre - amp to work with my Yamaha S2100 amp or the cdplayer I am not sure which yet until I've got mine . I am only getting one to stream of iTunes and to use the Internet radio and the fact it has a very good dac so Yamaha says the dac comes out of there flagship cdplayers

I do no that there is a switch at the back of the 50 to turn of the amp if you wished but I think Yamaha think that people will use the two units together or combined the pre with an existing Hifi or use them with an active speaker setup or hooked up to your PC .

but basically the Yamaha wxc-50 will be like a Swiss Army knife.... Meany uses and very compatible with a lot of gear

daveh75

Blacksabbath25 said:
but basically the Yamaha wxc-50 will be like a Swiss Army knife....

Almost.

But I do think they've seriously missed a trick not including support for Google's 'Cast' Technology.

They could have boasted support for many more streaming services than just Spotify, Napster and Rhapsody then.

Google Play Music, Tidal, Deezer and Qobuz for starters, and many more besides...

It would have made it much more appealing (to me at least).

Plus the lack of physical inputs, just a single optical and analogue input isnt enough.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Yes, lack of inputs - particularly on the integrated unit - means that it's unlikely to fully replace an existing amp. I am contemplating the pre in front of an existing integrated amp, as a more capable version of the Raumfeld (which I can still return under the 8 week trial).

is there USB input suitable for iDevice or PC? BT is nice for informal use, though.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
but basically the Yamaha wxc-50 will be like a Swiss Army knife....

Almost.

But I do think they've seriously missed a trick not including support for Google's 'Cast' Technology.

They could have boasted support for many more streaming services than just Spotify, Napster and Rhapsody then.

Google Play Music, Tidal, Deezer and Qobuz for starters, and many more besides...

Plus the lack of physical inputs, just a single optical and analogue input isnt enough.
NETWORK DLNA: Version 1.5 Format: MP3, WMA, MPEG4 AAC WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, DSD other: Wi-Fi and AirPlay Bluetooth: SBC / AAC PERFORMANCE Pure Direct: Yes THD (20 Hz-20 kHz): 0.003 % (Pre out) SNR: 112dB (Opt/ Net /USB /Bluetooth) SNR: 98dB (AUX in) CONNECTIVITY Audio In / Out: 1 / 1 Dig In/Out: 1 (Opt)/1 (Opt, Coax) Other Input: USB, Ethernet Subwoofer Out: 1 Remote In / Out: 1 / 0 Control (Trigger) In / Out: 1 / 1 GENERAL Standby Power Consumption: 1.8 W Dimensions (WHD): 215 x 51.5 x 245.9mm Weight: 1.44 kg this is the spec .... for the pre amp and the amps spec ....... Simply by adding to your speaker system, enjoy streaming music or a full MusicCast (multi-room audio) system 2.1-Channel powerful sound --- 90 W per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD, 1-ch driven) --- 70 W per channel (6 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06 % THD, 2-ch driven) Compatible with all types of music sources and services, such as streaming services MusicCast App for easy operation. The app lets you control other MusicCast-compatible components One push play — Pressing any button turns the unit on and initiates playback of the previously selected source Retro modern and superior quality 48-bit digital volume control is far greater than the input signal bit resolution, achieving high quality control Supports DSD 5.6 MHz and FLAC / WAV / AIFF 192 kHz / 24-bit for high resolution reproduction Compact body only 214 mm (8-3/8") wide fits in any convenient location, can be used horizontally or vertically. Easy installation - Suitable size for 1U rack with a width of 214 mm (8-3/8") and height of 42 mm (1-5/8") (without feet). Low standby power consumption: 1.8 W
35B946EF4B9F42B5AD9FEDD776A63972_12075.jpg

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that the WXC 50 is aimed at regular hi-fi users, hence minimal input facilities. It is aimed at users who will stream everything either from the net or from a local drive (NAS or mobile device) and possibly make use of it's comprehensive multi-room capability

Anyone looking to use it with legacy hi-fi components are likely to be dissapointed by the lack of connectivity, in this case better off with something like a Cambridge CXN.

I also think the failure to integrate Chromecast is an issue, shows how slow hi-fi companies, even ones as 'innovative' as Yamaha, are when it comes to implementing new technology.

For the 'right' person, a WXC 50 and a pair of HS7 speakers can be had for around £600-650 and provide everything they need. Sounds great too.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I would quite likely use such a box in addition to a Chromecast. One's not going to get a completely integrated and family-friendly control experience but that's not needed anyway.

daveh75

Blacksabbath25 said:
daveh75 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
but basically the Yamaha wxc-50 will be like a Swiss Army knife....

Almost.

NETWORK DLNA: Version 1.5 Format: MP3, WMA, MPEG4 AAC WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, DSD other: Wi-Fi and AirPlay Bluetooth: SBC / AAC PERFORMANCE Pure Direct: Yes THD (20 Hz-20 kHz): 0.003 % (Pre out) SNR: 112dB (Opt/ Net /USB /Bluetooth) SNR: 98dB (AUX in) CONNECTIVITY Audio In / Out: 1 / 1 Dig In/Out: 1 (Opt)/1 (Opt, Coax) Other Input: USB, Ethernet Subwoofer Out: 1 Remote In / Out: 1 / 0 Control (Trigger) In / Out: 1 / 1 GENERAL Standby Power Consumption: 1.8 W Dimensions (WHD): 215 x 51.5 x 245.9mm Weight: 1.44 kg   this is the spec .... for the pre amp and the amps spec ....... Simply by adding to your speaker system, enjoy streaming music or a full MusicCast (multi-room audio) system 2.1-Channel powerful sound --- 90 W per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD, 1-ch driven) --- 70 W per channel (6 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06 % THD, 2-ch driven) Compatible with all types of music sources and services, such as streaming services MusicCast App for easy operation. The app lets you control other MusicCast-compatible components One push play — Pressing any button turns the unit on and initiates playback of the previously selected source Retro modern and superior quality 48-bit digital volume control is far greater than the input signal bit resolution, achieving high quality control Supports DSD 5.6 MHz and FLAC / WAV / AIFF 192 kHz / 24-bit for high resolution reproduction Compact body only 214 mm (8-3/8") wide fits in any convenient location, can be used horizontally or vertically. Easy installation - Suitable size for 1U rack with a width of 214 mm (8-3/8") and height of 42 mm (1-5/8") (without feet). Low standby power consumption: 1.8 W 

Whats your point?

I'd already read the specs (and the manual.)

Doesn't address either of the issues I raised.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
daveh75 said:
lpv said:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-TosLink-Digital-Optical-Switch/dp/B00517UMNW

If you've got to start adding switch boxes and other devices to get the functionality they've already failed IMO.

They are so close, but it could have been an awesome single box front end...

A pretty awsome single box front end, just not for 'legacy hi-fi' users.

As I said above, if you want the extra flexibility, the Cambridge CXN will give you what you need, at a price that is. The WXC 50 is aimed at those who will stream their choice of content, they are unlikely to bother with CD players or whatever, for them it is all online, which is why not getting Chromecast onboard was something of an error, maybe the mark 2?

daveh75

davedotco said:
[A pretty awsome single box front end, just not for 'legacy hi-fi' users.

As I said above, if you want the extra flexibility, the Cambridge CXN will give you what you need, at a price that is. The WXC 50 is aimed at those who will stream their choice of content, they are unlikely to bother with CD players or whatever, for them it is all online, which is why not getting Chromecast onboard was something of an error, maybe the mark 2?

I'm not a 'legacy hi-fi' user. I eschewed all that years ago.

I'm their target market (well almost). If they'd addressed those two issues...

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
daveh75 said:
davedotco said:
[A pretty awsome single box front end, just not for 'legacy hi-fi' users.

I'm not a 'legacy hi-fi' user. I eschewed all that years ago.

I'm their target market (well almost). If they'd addressed those two issues...

Me too. The lack of Tidal is a deal-breaker for me with Yamaha's MusicCast. Shame because aside from that, there are some really useful products, like the WXC/WXA50 and their NX-N500 active speakers.

The WXA50 would have been nice to power the speakers I have ready in a second room. So far only Bluesound really ticks all the boxes, but it's comparatively expensive, so could do with a little competition. Yamaha have been adding extra streaming services, so maybe Tidal will be added shortly.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
I don't think that the is aimed at regular hi-fi users, hence minimal input facilities. It is aimed at users who will stream everything either from the net or from a local drive (NAS or mobile device) and possibly make use of it's comprehensive multi-room capability

Anyone looking to use it with legacy hi-fi components are likely to be dissapointed by the in this case better off with something like a Cambridge CXN.

I also think the failure to integrate Chromecast is an issue, shows how slow hi-fi companies, even ones as 'innovative' as Yamaha, are when it comes to implementing new technology.

For the 'right' person, a WXC 50 and a pair of HS7 speakers can be had for around £600-650 and provide everything they need. Sounds great too.
lack of connectivity ? not sure what you mean as you can use it wireless or hard wired to your internet . there's lots of connections on the back of the yamaha WXC 50 to connect to a hifi amp or cdplayer and it will play high res files . i am getting one just for the streaming side of things and the fact it comes with a really good dac for £399 or £299 for the pre is a good deal i think .

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Only just realised it's not actually available yet. Yamaha say "by the end of the month" - which sounds so vague I wouldn't hold my breath - and too late for me to decide whether or not to return the Raumfeld.

I think I'll live with Raumfeld for now - it's only silly academic things that the Yamaha will do much better.

TRENDING THREADS