HELP looking for a DAC that has Spotify Connect, 192kHz and I can control via an app

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I had a look at the yamaha wxc50 and must say the specs look pretty impressive.
Re: the chromecast omission. You could easily buy a chromecast audio and plug it in the yamaha dac.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Only just realised it's not actually available yet. Yamaha say "by the end of the month" - which sounds so vague I wouldn't hold my breath - and too late for me to decide whether or not to return the Raumfeld.

I think I'll live with Raumfeld for now - it's only silly academic things that the Yamaha will do much better.
i had spoken to the yamaha dealer that i go to he said some time this month they are both meant to be out but when i am not sure . yamaha say august and the app is out on itunes to use with the music cast so its coming

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Leeps said:
daveh75 said:
davedotco said:
[A pretty awsome single box front end, just not for 'legacy hi-fi' users.

As I said above, if you want the extra flexibility, the Cambridge CXN will give you what you need, at a price that is. The WXC 50 is aimed at those who will stream their choice of content, they are unlikely to bother with CD players or whatever, for them it is all online, which is why not getting Chromecast onboard was something of an error, maybe the mark 2?

I'm not a 'legacy hi-fi' user. I eschewed all that years ago.

I'm their target market (well almost). If they'd addressed those two issues...

Me too. The lack of Tidal is a deal-breaker for me with Yamaha's MusicCast. Shame because aside from that, there are some really useful products, like the WXC/WXA50 and their NX-N500 active speakers.

The WXA50 would have been nice to power the speakers I have ready in a second room. So far only Bluesound really ticks all the boxes, but it's comparatively expensive, so could do with a little competition. Yamaha have been adding extra streaming services, so maybe Tidal will be added shortly.

The lack of support for streaming sevices like Tidal is an issue, as I said in an earlier post, not implementing something like Chromecast shows how far behind the curve most hi-fi companies actually are. Maybe this can be addressed with a software/firmware update.

For a product like this, any source playing physical media is 'legacy', the target market will not be interested, the still limited support for streaming services is a much bigger downside.

Using an external Chromecast device would be cheap but loses the simplicity and completeness of the Yamaha app, user convenience is paramount with a product like this.

As has been said earlier, for traditional hi-fi users the WXC 50 is a useful 'Swiss Army' device but buying it to perform just one or two functions is to miss the point.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
Leeps said:
daveh75 said:
davedotco said:

As I said above, if you want the extra flexibility, the Cambridge CXN will give you what you need, at a price that is. The WXC 50 is aimed at those who will stream their choice of content, they are unlikely to bother with CD players or whatever, for them it is all online, which is why not getting Chromecast onboard was something of an error, maybe the mark 2?

Me too. The lack of Tidal is a deal-breaker for me with Yamaha's MusicCast. Shame because aside from that, there are some really useful products, like the WXC/WXA50 and their NX-N500 active speakers.

The WXA50 would have been nice to power the speakers I have ready in a second room. So far only Bluesound really ticks all the boxes, but it's comparatively expensive, so could do with a little competition. Yamaha have been adding extra streaming services, so maybe Tidal will be added shortly.

The lack of support for streaming sevices like is an issue, as I said in an earlier post, not implementing something like Chromecast shows how far behind the curve most hi-fi companies actually are. Maybe this can be addressed with a software/firmware update.

For a product like this, any source playing physical media is 'legacy', the target market will not be interested, the still limited support for streaming services is a much bigger downside.

Using an external Chromecast device would be cheap but loses the simplicity and completeness of the Yamaha app, user convenience is paramount with a product like this.

As has been said earlier, for traditional hi-fi users the WXC 50 is a useful 'Swiss Army' device but buying it to perform just one or two functions is to miss the point.
i think yamaha will not lose out on the Tidal it will be a softwere thing that will follow but the reason they have been taking there time is they were looking at what everyone was doing and not doing before jumping ship . its so hot of the press yet its early days yet .

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
davedotco said:
Leeps said:
daveh75 said:
davedotco said:

The lack of support for streaming sevices like is an issue, as I said in an earlier post, not implementing something like Chromecast shows how far behind the curve most hi-fi companies actually are. Maybe this can be addressed with a software/firmware update.

i think yamaha will not lose out on the Tidal it will be a softwere thing that will follow but the reason they have been taking there time is they were looking at what everyone was doing and not doing before jumping ship . its so hot of the press yet its early days yet .

Something of a mixed metaphore, but this point is important and typical of hi-fi manufacturers 'playing it safe' and not getting out ahead of the curve.

Yamaha are more adventurous than most but are still hedging their bets, drop the line inputs and outputs and improve the online connectivity, that is the way forward.

daveh75

davedotco said:

Precisely. (Though the Yamaha app would be somewhat redundant when it comes to Google Cast.)

Yes i could connect a CCA to its only optical input, but then I couldn't connect my TV, I could of course buy a switch box or use the analogue connection for the CCA etc, etc, but that all defeats the object...

WXC 50 is a useful 'Swiss Army' device

It could of been, but they left out the bottle opener & corkscrew, to give us the hook disgorger & hoof pick *dash1*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The WXC 50 is £299 retail, it is a budget component and very well equipped for the price.

Having to move back and forth from the Yamaha app to the Chromecast app would bug me, and I suggest, others too. I do hope that the functionality can be added in terms of an update.

That said, it is perfect for me. I prefer Spotify over Tidal, play some local files and listen, uncritically, to internet radio. I used to have my TV connected but used it so rarely that I now do not bother.

If you are looking for state of the art hi-fi streaming, the WXA 50 is not the answer, but combined with (say) a pair of HS7 actives it gives a very decent system, all operating from one app and a minimum of boxes.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
The WXC 50 is £299 retail, it is a budget component and very well equipped for the price.

Having to move back and forth from the Yamaha app to the Chromecast app would bug me, and I suggest, others too. I do hope that the functionality can be added in terms of an update.

That said, it is perfect for me. I prefer Spotify over Tidal, play some local files and listen, uncritically, to internet radio. I used to have my TV connected but used it so rarely that I now do not bother.

If you are looking for state of the art hi-fi streaming, the WXA 50 is not the answer, but combined with (say) a pair of HS7 actives it gives a very decent system, all operating from one app and a minimum of boxes.
the spec is good for £299 budget or not but if your after a pre amp like me just to use the AirPlay so I can listen to my albums of iTunes and the radio and hooking it up to my Yamaha S-2100 just for amping the sound or connecting to my Yamaha Cdplayer it should be quite good I think .

its got coaxed connection and a optical connection both are a good connections

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
davedotco said:

the spec is good for £299 budget or not but if your after a pre amp like me just to use the AirPlay so I can listen to my albums of iTunes and the radio and hooking it up to my Yamaha S-2100 just for amping the sound or connecting to my Yamaha Cdplayer it should be quite good I think .

Use an Airport Express £59 from the refurb store, why pay more?

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure about "missing the point" or even what Yamaha's intentions are with this device.

It reminds me in a way of Apple and their iPhone - deliberately withholding functionality so that they can put it into the next version. However, Yamaha are not in a dominant position so will have to be generous if they want to get decent market share. I'm sure that Tidal can be added with a software patch - I believe Google have just done this with Chromecast and I think Raumfeld are adding Google Cast support to their connector, so I really don't see why it should be so difficult for Yamaha.

I guess that analogue signals are legacy to a degree, but there's a big market still in transition, so removing analogue inputs would alienate them.

In terms of digital input, I note it can do DSD - so I wonder if that means that it would be happy with the digital output of an SACD played in a PS3? I have just acquired one of these, so if the Yamaha has a better DAC than the PS3, then that could make it worthwhile (I don't know if the PS3 digital output is DSD when playing an SACD!). Edit: It doesn't!

Another point is that the price for the WXA (with amp) version seems to be inconsistent - some shops are charging £439 (I think) while others are charging £399 - I wonder if that's to do with exchange rates?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
davedotco said:

Use an Airport Express £59 from the refurb store, why pay more?
I've tried the airport express and I could not get it to work for some reason I had it connection between my cdplayer using optical lead it just kept dropping sound all the time . I did try different ways of doing it but it still kept dropping sound . And there maybe a possibility that the Yamaha music cast might do the same as the airport express if that's the case I will have to get virgin media out to look at my net work but we will see . I've got the music cast on sale or return if things do not work out .

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm assuming that there was some aspect of WiFi in that setup - in which case did you try changing the wifi channel? I know that some people find that can make a big difference in built-up areas.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
I'm assuming that there was some aspect of WiFi in that setup - in which case did you try changing the wifi channel? I know that some people find that can make a big difference in built-up areas.
yep i did try changing wifi channel but still kept getting sound drop so i took it back to the shop i had 2 days messing around trying to sort it out but gave up

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
lpv said:
did anybody used yamaha's music cast app? any good? or another marantz nightmare?
i did download the app ready for when i get my pre-amp music cast it looks ok but i have nothing to try it on at the moment .

but not sure if you can use the app on the rest of the yamaha range or not

daveh75

lpv said:
did anybody used yamaha's music cast app? any good? or another marantz nightmare?

I looked at the Android version, though not used it. It's typical for hi-fi companies when it comes to UI, i.e that's best left to those who know what they're doing like Google's, Apple's and Sonos' of the world..

And judging by some of the app reviews they manage to break it quite regularly

daveh75

davedotco said:

I'm not disputing that, as I said it could of been awesome though...

Having looked at the MusicCast app I'd be looking to avoid it as much as possible personally

Im not looking for state of the art, just a simple one box front end for small actives, that I can connect a TV to, and access media stored on my network, as well as from streaming services without having to buy additional converters, switches or devices to make it work.

I did contemplate the NX-N500s too for a short while, but they have the same issue...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It's amusing how people are trying to dodge the 'legacy' label like it was a virus or something.

If you have a stereo pair of speakers (active, or passive, or 'powered passive'), in separate cabinets, then that ship has sailed. You've got legacy.

If you are debating it on a hi-fi forum (in the hi-fi section) ... it's legacy.

Someone mentioned an optical connection to their TV. FFS! I do that!

If I do it, then it's 'legacy' by definition. (I am 53.)

My g#d you'll be talking about your TV's roof aerial next! Even streaming tv wirelessly to my tablet seems 'legacy' nowadays. So many of us middle-aged farts are doing it.

Look at the ages of the Chromecast Audio buyers on the John Lewis website ...

http://www.johnlewis.com/google-chromecast/p2223608#tabinfo-ratings

... so many of them over 65s and 55 - 64s!

(It's probably why it's doing so well in the readers votes thread elsewhere on this forum because we have such an old - sorry 'legacy' - demographic here!)

Apologies to any groovy young sprigs who are 'legacy dodging' to appear younger and .. spriggier. The genuinely hip, young and groovy seem to be buying our old LPs and installing turntables.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
chebby said:
It's amusing how people are trying to dodge the 'legacy' label like it was a virus or something.

If you have a stereo pair of speakers (active, or passive, or 'powered passive'), in separate cabinets, then that ship has sailed. You've got legacy.

If you are debating it on a hi-fi forum (in the hi-fi section) ... it's legacy.

Someone mentioned an optical connection to their TV. FFS! I do that!

If I do it, then it's 'legacy' by definition. (I am 53.)

My g#d you'll be talking about your TV's roof aerial next! Even streaming tv wirelessly to my tablet seems 'legacy' nowadays. So many of us middle-aged farts are doing it.

Look at the ages of the Chromecast Audio buyers on the John Lewis website ...

http://www.johnlewis.com/google-chromecast/p2223608#tabinfo-ratings

... so many of them over 65s and 55 - 64s!

(It's probably why it's doing so well in the readers votes thread elsewhere on this forum because we have such an old - sorry 'legacy' - demographic here!)

Apologies to any groovy young sprigs who are 'legacy dodging' to appear younger and .. spriggier. The genuinely hip, young and groovy seem to be buying our old LPs and installing turntables.
its ok chebby i am not dodging anything am 46 and i have orderd one it should be good when it comes out *smile*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
its ok chebby i am not dodging anything am 46 and i have orderd one it should be good when it comes out *smile*

You have Yamaha separates with meters and wooden bits on the sides.

Even if you were 21 (and despite a CD player) your system is screaming '1970s!'

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
chebby said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

You have Yamaha separates with meters and wooden bits on the sides.

Even if you were 21 (and despite a CD player) your system is screaming '1970s!'
thats why i brought it as i like the 1970s look *smile* and the fact it sound good too

fcienfuegos

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all for your recommendations and input, I ended up wih the follwing setup:

1) iPhone/iPad with Spotify premium service which gives me high quality audio

2a) Apple TV v3 with optical out
iPhone sends uncompressed high qualiy audio to Apple TV, Apple TV then sends audio to DAC via optical digital cable

2b) I have the option to connect the iPhone directly to the DAC via lightining-to-usb cable

3) I finally deceided to get the Parasound Zdac v2

4) Marantz PM8004 High-Current Hi-Fi receiver

5) Finally the sounds comes out a pair of B&W CM5 S2

6) I also connected a new Musical Hall Ikura white record player with an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge

7) All connected to a Panamax M4300-PM surge protector

All in all, I am very happy with the setup, I can play high quality audio from my phone and the sound is amazing.

Again thank you all for your help. Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts