help from current or old arcam alpha 7/8/9/10 amp owners

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i am listen to everything(cd player only at moment will be dac-magic soon) with the direct button pushed in. Is that right or should i take time in altering the bass/treble to get what i want? I did briefly have a bash but every song i wanted to change so i thought direct it is and see what we get and alot of the time 8/10 im happy. I have the 9 if that makes any issues and the volume is quite lower about 7-8o'clock at night and 8-9o'clock in the day

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I had the Alpha9 for many years (still do back home) and almost always listened with direct. Clearly better sound, definition, etc. I think there was maybe one time playing a game from my PS2 where I used tone controls to boost the bass. I can also think of maybe one or two albums that I should have used the tone controls to cut out some of the treble that was a bit bright.

smuggs:i am listen to everything(cd player only at moment will be dac-magic soon) with the direct button pushed in. Is that right or should i take time in altering the bass/treble to get what i want? I did briefly have a bash but every song i wanted to change so i thought direct it is and see what we get and alot of the time 8/10 im happy. I have the 9 if that makes any issues and the volume is quite lower about 7-8o'clock at night and 8-9o'clock in the day

With both the Alpha 7 and my current A65+ I prefer not to use the the "Direct" button.

According to Arcam it is meant to improve tonal balance, although I have yet to hear the improvement. If you leave on "off" and adjust the tone controls to half (bass and treble) it has the effect IMO.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think it just depends on the listener.

I've owned the Arcam Alpha 7 through to the Alpha 10 and a majority of them matched with their power amp and have used the direct button as well as the bass/treble controls.

For more vocal music and laid back music I found the direct button in worked best but when I was listening to house/electronica music it was better with the direct button out and using the controls
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts