Hearing loss in left ear...waaaagh!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy:

the record spot:Thanks for the comments guys, but this isn't a wax problem, but a build up of fluid/mucus in the eustachian canal thanks to the cold I had recently. Chances are it'll clear in its time, but we'll see. I think I need something that will clear the problem from the inside of the eardrum (i.e. it's on the inside leading down to the pharynx at the back of the throat, not the ear side)

Know how you feel also known as glue ear, I have suffered from this for about 8 years on and off.

Steam in inhalation helps clear this and the sinus, I had to have some T tubes fitted 18 months ago due to this issue.

Do not put anything in your ears smaller than your fist.

Technically it is condensate inhalation as steam is a gas that you cannot see and at more than 100 deg C wouldn't do you much good.

michael hoy

Lost Angeles:michael hoy:

the record spot:Thanks for the comments guys, but this isn't a wax problem, but a build up of fluid/mucus in the eustachian canal thanks to the cold I had recently. Chances are it'll clear in its time, but we'll see. I think I need something that will clear the problem from the inside of the eardrum (i.e. it's on the inside leading down to the pharynx at the back of the throat, not the ear side)

Know how you feel also known as glue ear, I have suffered from this for about 8 years on and off.

Steam in inhalation helps clear this and the sinus, I had to have some T tubes fitted 18 months ago due to this issue.

Technically it is condensate inhalation as steam is a gas that you cannot see and at more than 100 deg C wouldn't do you much good.

http://www.bbc5.tv/health/story/steam-inhalation

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
wow what a coinsidence, i have been having a problem with block ears for a few months now after having the flu and the docor told me to use steam and take plenty of sudafed which seems to do the trick but now and again i get an annoying ringing in my ear which im scared it may be a touch of tinitus but the doc says its most probably due to my ear canals being blocked and swollen and should go soon, god i hope so!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
simon3102000:... take plenty of sudafed which seems to do the trick but now and again i get an annoying ringing in my ear

Or maybe its the effect of all that pseudo-ephedrine on your blood pressure, either way, I'd be wary of taking health advice from strangers on the internet.

scene

If it really hurts, take painkillers. Paracetamol and ibuprofen (assuming you're not asthmatic, have stomach ulcers, etc.) both, together, at the intervals described on the packet. Drink plenty of fluid, and have the ibuprofen on a full stomach. Take antihistamine to reduce the flow of mucus. Olbas or eucalyptus oil on the pillow at night isa very good idea. If you still feel like applying a black and decker on Monday, go and see a doctor. Even with a viral cold, you can get secondary infectinons that affect the sinus passages and eustachean tubes.

Don't panic! Relax, keep warm, listen to soothing music while propped up in bed, in fact sleep propped up to help the passages.

Treat all online medical advice with extreme caution,including this.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
michael hoy:

Don't put anything in your ears bigger than your fist either
emotion-5.gif

T

the record spot

Guys, I should be clear, I know my off the shelf medicines! When my ear infection took a hold a decade back, I was on Co-Dydramol as the painkiller (take two and zonk out in 20 minutes) with antibiotics to clear up the infection. Not using any painkillers just now, as there's no pain. It's just a blockage that'll hopefully get cleared up with some steam inhalation and as its on the "wrong" side of the eardrum (i.e. the Eustacian canal) I'll avoid getting the corkscrew out to decork the gunk! A trip to the doctor on Monday or Tuesday if it doesn't sort itself out overnight as it'll have been a week then. Thanks for all the advice though, appreciate it.

As it happens, I did have a peptic ulcer recently, but, thanks to a diagnosis of helicobacter pylori and the medication needed to clear it up, that's no longer a problem. Amazing and I now no longer take ibuprofen as a painkiller.

T

the record spot

Not on the 217 there ain't mate.
emotion-5.gif

Need to update my profile again...the 717's close to being put up for sale. Other considerations coming to the fore at home, and the 217+Spitfire II+BDP-S370 is a real eye-opener. Deeply impressive combination. Eyes on a newer amp though...not a million miles off XTZ either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts