Hearing loss in left ear...waaaagh!

T

the record spot

Had a bit of a cold recently and it worsened over the course of last weekend. One of the features of my colds these days is the inner tubes in my ears (the eustachian canal) sometimes becomes quite inflamed following an infection I had just over a decade ago. Incidentally, pain like you'll never know, reall bat-your-head-off-the-wall stuff. Anyway...didn't have that this time, but this week my left ear clogged up and it's not in any hurry to clear itself out! Gaaaaah!! This is not good. So I look on the web for some hints and tips about what you can do to help things along and found the link below - it's not mediaeval, but surely not far off it. Also helps to have the abilities of a gymnast I think. And what does this have to do with hifi? Not a lot, except if it doesn't clear up, I'll be selling off one Mission 752... http://www.ehow.com/how_4537025_cure-clogged-eustachian-tube.html

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
My daughter suffers with clogged ears RS, we swear by ear candles. We get them from a local Japanese homeopathy outlet, they a few pounds and you would be amazed (without going in to much detain) of what come's out...

T

the record spot

I'm glad I read this shooter. I'm almost reaching for the Bosch power drill here, drastic granted, but needs must...

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
If you go to the doctor they say put drops of (cold) olive oil in the ear which will loosen the wax but it takes a few days to work.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Shooter's right about the olive oil, but it needs to be warm to dislodge wax. I use the method myself. I put some olive oil in a shot glass, microwave it to warm it up, then use a syringe to put a few drops in each lug hole. plug up the ears with cotton balls for 15 minutes. if the ears are quite blocked, repeat that for a few days and then (very gently) rinse the ears out with syringes of warm water.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
Don't touch it, poke it, set fire to it or marinade it it oil.

Take some Neurofen Express and make an appointment to see a doctor if it isn't getting better.

Chebby, this may surprise you, but you don't know everything. Using olive oil is the recommended way of shifting wax (by doctors, which the last time I checked, you aint) and is completely safe and effective.

A

Anonymous

my symphathy to you this is something i have suffered a few times
the last time it took 4 weeks to recover, and last year i had a van morrison
concert to go to with my brother and i could not enjoy at all, i had my ears syringed
it did not help so went to see doctor he gave me antibiotics in pill form and antibiotic spray
for ears this worked a treat cleard it up fast,
i did not think it was a infection as it did not hurt but it was a infection so see your quack soon asap
it was driving me mad as well and i hope it does not happen again good luck.

A

Anonymous

I can't comment on Eustachean canals and such like, but when I had a MAJOR wax problem in my right ear, drops and oil did absolutely nothing. I had the ear syringed, which sounds horrible but it was actually quite a pleasant procedure. What came out looked like something a butterfly might fly out of any minute, and my hearing was transformed.

As for ear candles, I'm led to believe that what comes out is just all the rubbish that was in the CANDLE in the first place, but I haven't tried it so I won't knock it.
emotion-5.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bretty:Chebby, this may surprise you, but you don't know everything. Using olive oil is the recommended way of shifting wax (by doctors, which the last time I checked, you aint) and is completely safe and effective.

(a) Why the offensive tone?

(b) Maybe you should have recommended Olive Oil BP (the kind a doctor will prescribe rather than something off the supermarket shelf.)

(c) The reason I suggested seeing a doctor is because I don't know everything and medical matters are best left to qualified professionals rather than tips from well meaning members of a hifi forum.

T

the record spot

Thanks for the comments guys, but this isn't a wax problem, but a build up of fluid/mucus in the eustachian canal thanks to the cold I had recently. Chances are it'll clear in its time, but we'll see. I think I need something that will clear the problem from the inside of the eardrum (i.e. it's on the inside leading down to the pharynx at the back of the throat, not the ear side)

A

Anonymous

I permanently suffer from this due to allergies. There's quite a lot of tips on pilot forums like pprune as it affects a pilot's ability to work.

Running a vigorous exercise might help as it causes pressure changes around the ends of the tubes to help open and drain them. Believe it or not, there's no easy cure for this. Avoid dairy products and red wine as they increase mucus creation.

T

the record spot

Bang goes the red wine and yoghurt breakfast for another fortnight then...

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
bretty:Chebby, this may surprise you, but you don't know everything. Using olive oil is the recommended way of shifting wax (by doctors, which the last time I checked, you aint) and is completely safe and effective.

(a) Why the offensive tone?

(b) Maybe you should have recommended Olive Oil BP (the kind a doctor will prescribe rather than something off the supermarket shelf.)

(c) The reason I suggested seeing a doctor is because I don't know everything and medical matters are best left to qualified professionals rather than tips from well meaning members of a hifi forum.

The dismissive tone of your first post is what annoyed me and caused my response. And then, in the post i'm quoting above, you've done your usual bit, which is poodle off to google, read a page on the subject, then come back with a link as if you already had that knowledge of the subject. I read these kind of comments from you a lot, and when they're an attempt at belittling another forum member, it annoys me, but I manage to ignore you. When you try that cr*p with me, I won't let it slide.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Thanks for the comments guys, but this isn't a wax problem, but a build up of fluid/mucus in the eustachian canal thanks to the cold I had recently. Chances are it'll clear in its time, but we'll see. I think I need something that will clear the problem from the inside of the eardrum (i.e. it's on the inside leading down to the pharynx at the back of the throat, not the ear side)

The link could be useful but i'm not keen on rinsing the ear with water (pure or saline) as i picked up an infection from doing this.

A

Anonymous

Hi RS, I am a doctor.

You explain your problem very well and it's clear to me you need antibiotic treatment.

It may heal without, but will take a long time, while antibiotics help in the course of days and eliminate infective fluid entirely.

Diet-may be it will help a little but will not be curative so it's not an important factor.

T

the record spot

Shalit Duktaun:
Hi RS, I am a doctor.

You explain your problem very well and it's clear to me you need antibiotic treatment.

It may heal without, but will take a long time, while antibiotics help in the course of days and eliminate infective fluid entirely.

Diet-may be it will help a little but will not be curative so it's not an important factor.

Is there a doctor in the house...ah we've already got one! Thanks Doc, chances are I'll pop in to see my doctor on Monday morning. Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

With the greatest of respect to Shalit, I think it is difficult to make a diagnosis over the internet. It may indeed be the case that you require antibiotics, but given that around 85% of upper respiratory tract infections are of viral aetiology, it may also be the case that you simply require time.

I think the advice that you have been given to seek medical attention if your symptoms do not resolve is sound.

Warmed olive oil is indeed occasionally effective at clearing a wax problem, but as you say, you have a middle ear and/or eustachian tube problem, so it would be unlikely to help you.

I wish you a speedy recovery and a return to bilateral listening pleasure!

Shuggie

PS: When you recover, the RNID iPhone app is a great way of confirming your hearing has returned to normal

Shalit Duktaun:

Hi RS, I am a doctor.

Hmmm......not sure about the antibiotic treatment, being a doctor myself. As correctly pointed out, most of upper respiratory tract infections are viral and antibiotics won't help. Lemsips can help. One thing that really helps me is a few drops of eucalyptus oil onto my pillow when I go to bed. Inhaling it all night immensely helps. Another thing that helps is steam inhalation......but be careful when handling boiled water....don't scald yourself!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
'Ang on! Never mind all the the medical and homeopathic advice - allow me to stand on the middle pedal, feel the judder of the ABS and hear the 'chirrup' of rubber momentarily scuffing asphalt, then back-up a bit... Ummm, er, it seems that I - and no doubt a few others, too - have been taking hi-fi advice from folks with impaired hearing...
emotion-8.gif
emotion-7.gif
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

6th.replicant:'Ang on! Never mind all the the medical and homeopathic advice - allow me to stand on the middle pedal, feel the judder of the ABS and hear the 'chirrup' of rubber momentarily scuffing asphalt, then back-up a bit... Ummm, er, it seems that I - and no doubt a few others, too - have been taking hi-fi advice from folks with impaired hearing...
emotion-8.gif
emotion-7.gif
emotion-4.gif
What's the problem with that?

I can hear music fine, providing it has subtitles.

T

the record spot

6th.replicant:'Ang on! Never mind all the the medical and homeopathic advice - allow me to stand on the middle pedal, feel the judder of the ABS and hear the 'chirrup' of rubber momentarily scuffing asphalt, then back-up a bit... Ummm, er, it seems that I - and no doubt a few others, too - have been taking hi-fi advice from folks with impaired hearing...
emotion-8.gif
emotion-7.gif
emotion-4.gif

Far from it my good friend, rather, the advice from suddenly impaired functions just occurred in the last week. It's been progressive for far longer!

michael hoy

the record spot:Thanks for the comments guys, but this isn't a wax problem, but a build up of fluid/mucus in the eustachian canal thanks to the cold I had recently. Chances are it'll clear in its time, but we'll see. I think I need something that will clear the problem from the inside of the eardrum (i.e. it's on the inside leading down to the pharynx at the back of the throat, not the ear side)

Know how you feel also known as glue ear, I have suffered from this for about 8 years on and off.

Steam in inhalation helps clear this and the sinus, I had to have some T tubes fitted 18 months ago due to this issue.

Do not put anything in your ears smaller than your fist.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts