headphones for use on a computer

rdewe

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
I listen to classical music through headphones on my computer via the jack output. The analogue output seems surprisingly good but the rather limited volume level is a slight nuisance. However, the main problem is that my rather ageing headphones- sennheiser HD 520 II's- are starting to fall apart so a replacement cannot be long delayed. I am guessing that a comparable replacement would cost about £150.

Any suggestions for my short list? I listen without others in the room so I do not have to be concerned about sound leakage. I do however notice the sound of the computer's cooling fan during quiet passages; should I consider noise-cancelling 'phones? Also, on extended listening, my ears can feel hot and uncomfortable- are some designs inherently more comfortable for extended listening?

Any guidance would be gratefully received as I live a long way from any decent Hi-Fi shops.

scene

One quick question - what's falling apart on your Sennheisers? I only ask, as I have some HD520s (Mk 1!) and you can buy replacement earpads for £20-30. If that's all that's the matter - I'll dig out the link for the replacement pads... Actually - here it is: click Mk1 and Mk2 pads are identical - they do other spare parts as well...

rdewe

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info. The earpads are disintegrating and the headstrap is falling apart. However, it will undoubtedly be much cheaper to buy spare parts than replace the headphones, which still work very well.

scene

Glad I could be of assistance
emotion-21.gif

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
For this budget the Sennheiser HD 595 is still a solid choice: extremely comfortable, doesn't need a lot of power to sound good and it has a great soundstage (important for classical music).

A

Anonymous

If you are still looking for a quality replacement set of headphones, check out the Grado SR80i which fit your budget and sound much better than the equivalently priced Sennheisers (imo).

They are comfortable to wear over long listening sessions and have an excellent sound stage.

I am more than happy with mine....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts