New amp, Ifi?

trev79

Jun 23, 2023
Visit site
I currently have Shanling M3 Ultra and Letshuoer S12 Pro headphones. For me, the sound is ok. However, I wanted to listen to the over-ear headphones, (I'm just going to buy). I prefer balanced output.

The choice fell on:
1/ IFI Audio IDSD Diablo
2/ IFI IDSD signature (The Xbass function is interesting?)
maybe
3/ Shanling H7
4/ DethonrayHoney H1

The headphones I predict are rather Planar Magnetic f.ex: Hifiman 400SE/Sundara/XS; Takstar HF -580, Ultrasone Pure - but headphones are a separate topic for now.
I also have Shanling M2X on AKM and plays well, nice like AKM. But this is a outdated Plyer.
I prefer warm playing but with a lot of space, low descending bass and details in high tones. I like when the instruments are heard in the medium tones (long, deep reverberation of piano strings etc.)
I listen to most electronic music, sometimes classical and rock.
I use Tidal Hi-Fi Plus.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Greetings, I've had a HiBy R3 Pro Saber player for a year, and am currently trialing a R5 II model. I tried the S12 Pros a few months ago but found them too bright, trying them only with the R3 Pro's balanced 2.5mm output. (and I rarely equalize anything so I may not have given them a chance).

Hiby and Shanling are rather tightly related companies, and your M3 and my R5 II use the same chips/DACs, so they're probably comparable units, but I don't tend to examine specs closely.

I use and enjoy Sennheiser 598 SE headphones with a balanced 2.5mm cable with both players, as well a Sony 7506 headphones and RHA CL750 earphones (discontinued) , the latter two with a balanced cable attachment or extension. All of these cables/attachments are with the 2.5mm outputs on both players.

I also enjoy warm playing and vocals. I'm weighing ordering the Sennheiser HD600, and possibly also the Sundara headphones to see what they are capable of with these devices and my ears. I enjoy especially Jazz, but also lots of Latin sounds, classical, classic and rather pop rock, and even have a little country. I still play vinyl and CDs, but the bulk of my music is digitized, largely in lossless FLAC or WMA files, and about a fourth still in still-nice 320kps lossy files.

I canceled Spotify after several years, last year, and now use Amazon Music Unlimited, enjoying its hi-res offerings on my above equipment as well as other Android and Windows devices, but I have not tried Tidal or other streaming services.

Reactions: trev79

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Hi...
I have the iFi iDSD Signature DAC/Amp driving my Klipsch HP-3 headphones and the sound is excellent. I recently added a balanced cable (4.4 mm plug) which really only increased the power output to the headphones (and not much else...). I have the X-Bass and the 3D+ functions enabled all of the time as that really suits my listening preference (good solid bass and and a wide sound stage...).
After more than a year in use, I'd happily recommend the iDSD...

trev79

Jun 23, 2023
Visit site
Thanks , BTW I can buy IFI Daiblo with IFI Audio iPurifier3 or without iPurifer, at a similar price. This purifer does a job or is it such a marketing procedure?

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I currently have Shanling M3 Ultra and Letshuoer S12 Pro headphones. For me, the sound is ok. However, I wanted to listen to the over-ear headphones, (I'm just going to buy). I prefer balanced output.

The choice fell on:
1/ IFI Audio IDSD Diablo
2/ IFI IDSD signature (The Xbass function is interesting?)
maybe
3/ Shanling H7
4/ DethonrayHoney H1

The headphones I predict are rather Planar Magnetic f.ex: Hifiman 400SE/Sundara/XS; Takstar HF -580, Ultrasone Pure - but headphones are a separate topic for now.
I also have Shanling M2X on AKM and plays well, nice like AKM. But this is a outdated Plyer.
I prefer warm playing but with a lot of space, low descending bass and details in high tones. I like when the instruments are heard in the medium tones (long, deep reverberation of piano strings etc.)
I listen to most electronic music, sometimes classical and rock.
I use Tidal Hi-Fi Plus.
Just to throw in my 2 cents, I so love my Hifiman Edition XS, these are the best headphones you can buy for £500 bar none. The Hifimans are wired to Mogami balanced XLR cables. The only criticism is the headband, some people have complained it doesn't sit comfortably if you have a small head. I had to pull up all the notches on mine and it fits fine and most comfortable on my ear.

If that puts you off, also consider Hifiman Arya, (£995), a pricier alternative but does have a suspended headband.

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I don't think you need the IFI Audio iPurifier3 with either the Diablo or the iFi iDSD Signature. Certainly the iFi iDSD Signature has excellent data filtering built-in. Presumably the Diablo has as well (maybe even better...).

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I don't know the M3 but it looks like it has the means to output a digital signal. If it does, then for a desktop installation, feeding the signal through the Diablo should provide better performance. The assembly of the M3 + Diablo would be somewhat unwieldy as a portable system.

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I don't know the xDuoo XD-05 Balanced but I once had a Fiio X1 player coupled to an iBasso D3 dac amp using a coax interconnect. It worked fine but was awkward and bulky to play on the move...
What exactly are you trying to achieve? Is it a purely mobile setup? If so then I would recommend sticking with just the M3 or upgrade your player... For desktop use I'd recommend the Diablo (or the xDuooo) as PC sound is by definition not exactly hifi grade.
Yes, the Diablo will work as a portable dac/amp but it is fairly bulky (and heavy) as would be almost any other external dac/amp worth its salt. I certainly wouldn't consider carrying around my iFi micro iDSD!

trev79

Jun 23, 2023
Visit site
I plan to buy the over-ear headphones and my DAP - M3U there will probably be no power (although this is not a very weak-260mw player).

I listen to on IEMs. I am enough for me, but you could sometimes give your ears a rest in over-ear headphones.

It is a mobile set in this sense, let's say that the table to the table, from the table to the bed. I do not intend to walk outside with all this equipment.

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
If at all possible when you go out to buy, take your DAP with you (with your favourite tracks) andlisten to both your proposed headphones and the DAC/Amp together - even if you have to borrow one and take it to another dealer for the other... (It wasn't possible in my case as there are no hifi shops anywhere near me...)
Auditioning a setup before(!) purchase is always the best option!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts