Headphones for home use

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I'm looking for some headphones for home use, need to be closed back as using in same room which has a TV on, so isolation is important both ways. Budget is around £140. Do not need too much bass, music is mainly 50s jazz, 70s rock and vocals with some folk/country/classical thrown in.

Looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50 which are about £132. Should I consider any others like Audio Technica ATH-A500x?

peza1

Aug 21, 2007
Visit site
I have these and find them excellent with most music. http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-10160-akg-k550-closed-back-headphones.aspx

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
pauln said:
Have you looked at the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro? Supposed to have good bass and well regarded.

Yes thats seems to be the only other one, a few negative reviews, not sure of the differences between 80 Ohms and 250 Ohms versions?

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
pauln said:
Have you looked at the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro? Supposed to have good bass and well regarded.

Yes thats seems to be the only other one, a few negative reviews, not sure of the differences between 80 Ohms and 250 Ohms versions?

Your questions are probably answered in this comprehensive and excellent review by NwAvGuy: http://nwavguy.blogspot.ru/2011/04/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80-review.html

Also some comparisons with other closed back cans.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for those suggestions, I did see something about the WeScs that the sort of tips I'm looking for and £60 less. Just read a review on Amazon that says they are better than the AT 50Ms.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
IMO one of the best closed back headphones which isolate well, are comfortable and sound good are the Beyerdynamic DT770's. They have a reputation for being bass heavy which isn't true, they just have good bass extension which most headphones don't.

The Audio Technica ATH-M50's are also good sounding cans although I found them a touch sibilant on occasion, they are also not as comfortable as the Beyers, the big heavy coiled lead is also a PITA.

With regards to the WeSC RZA Chambers.....well your not 12 years old are you. Probably best left for the youths who can't pull their trousers up properly and wear their hats the wrong way around, innit.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks eggs some interesting opinions.

The other headphones I have come across are the Soundmagic HP100, similar to the AT 50Ms but more neutral, more revealing but in UK they are about £180.

Actually the AKG 550s maybe suitable as Im not a bass head although not a fan of lean sounding music either.

Beyers yes but maybe too much bass and the 80 Ohms and 250 Ohms may need a headphone amp? The 32 Ohms not sure if available here. A few reports of reliability problems.

AT ATH 50Ms, seem a good alrounder, neutral without being too revealing but maybe too much bass.

Soundmagic HP100, meant to be better than 50Ms but maybe to revealing, reliable? More money.

WeSC RZA Chambers, some say better than M50s, not very comfortable? Cheap.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
At the moment it will be just from my soundcard which is a Xonar DG, which is quite loud, I currently use AT ATH-911s and I have to watch the volume is not too high when switching over to headphones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts