Question Best bass heavy headphones for music production?

liamevans

May 29, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I need your help!
I’m looking for the best closed back bass heavy headphones for music production under 300eu. I’m currently choosing between ATH-M50x and Meze 99 Neo. Are there any better options out there? And which headphones should I go with? Can’t wait to hear your opinions!

D

Deleted member 188533

The M50X is terrible and one of the few headphones I don't recommend in any circumstances. It has bloated bass that bleeds into and colors the mids, peaky treble and is uncomfortable to boot.

The Meze 99 Classic but it's not neutral. The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro is used in studios quite a bit. The AKG K371 would be a solid choice. There really aren't many good closed back headphones under the $500 level.

D

Deleted member 188533

Oh there's a Sony too. MDR 7605? 7506? Quite popular for mixing and mastering.

Reactions: liamevans

liamevans

May 29, 2021
Visit site
The M50X is terrible and one of the few headphones I don't recommend in any circumstances. It has bloated bass that bleeds into and colors the mids, peaky treble and is uncomfortable to boot.

The Meze 99 Classic but it's not neutral. The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro is used in studios quite a bit. The AKG K371 would be a solid choice. There really aren't many good closed back headphones under the $500 level.

Thank you so much for your reply, I will definitely look into dt770 250 ohm and akg k371.

D

Deleted member 188533

Do you want bass or do you want something for mixing and mastering? You really want neutral for that otherwise all your mixes will be off.

I haven't heard the 1770 Pro but I have a friend who tried it and he didn't like it. The frequency response is a bit strange.

The easy answer for bass headphones used the be the Fostex X-00 but they're no longer in production and they were rare in Europe anyway. You can still buy the E-Mu Teak though. I don't know where you'd buy it in Europe but I think you can order straight from E-Mu. This uses the same Fostex biodynamic driver as the X-00 series. They're the best bass cannons you can get under $1000.

The Meze 99 Classic has a boosted low end and a 'fun' tuning.

D

Deleted member 188533

Denon also uses the Fostex biodynamic drivers. The D5200, D7200 and D9200.

D

Deleted member 188533

OP asked for closed back. The Sundara reaches down to the sub bass but it doesn't really have slam like a Fostex based closed back will. It's a great headphone for the price though.

liamevans

May 29, 2021
Visit site
OP asked for closed back. The Sundara reaches down to the sub bass but it doesn't really have slam like a Fostex based closed back will. It's a great headphone for the price though.

Thank you so much for the info, I'm currently looking into DT770 Pro and Meze 99 Classic, I know neutral headphones are better for music production, but I really enjoy bass especially when producing/listening to hiphop/rap and edm.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts