Looking for advice regarding headphones upgrade

Section

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Hi,

I've been using ATH-MSR7b (without amps) for the past few years and been happy with them. I mostly listen to classical music from Tidal, and also from my FLAC library. A couple of days ago, I bought a pair of Philips Fidelio X2HR at a 50% discount (about $100) in an attempt to improve my listening experience by the means of open-back headphones. My initial impression is that the sound feels more natural (in the sense of being closer to a concert hall experience). However, the headphones don't feel as comfortable as my previous MSR7b, and they start to irritate my ears after some time, which is a big issue for classical music. The sound is also a bit weaker, which is why I'm thinking of buying an iFi Go Link DAC.

So, I can keep them in the hope of getting used to them, or return the headphones and buy a new pair, which is why I would like to ask for your opinion. I have also increased my budget to €300. (edit: Please also let me know if you have any headphones recommendations.)

Thank you very much!

PS - There is a defect in my laptop, that when I slightly pull my headphones plug, the sound is played from both my headphones and laptop speakers. Interestingly, in this situation, the superimposed sound I hear from the headphones feels more natural! I'm not sure what has caused this feeling, but can a better pair of headphones possibly reproduce such an effect?

Last edited:

WayneKerr

Thanks!

I assume Sennheiser HD 560S + DAC will be a good choice then, considering my current budget. Do you think so?
Possibly. I haven't heard the 560S so I can't really comment, but another member on here does and he rates them very highly indeed.

My current headphone collection comprises of: Sennheiser HD650, HD598, RS220; Shure SRH840; Grado SR225. Senns and Shure are the pick for comfort, HD650 for comfort and sound, but I'm not sure what you would prefer for sound signature. There are many more from the likes of AT, Beyerdynamic, etc., which could fit the bill regarding comfort, each has their own sound signature.

I note that your current headphones are at different price points, the AT being the more expensive, whilst this is not a guarantee of better performance, it generally is in the real world - you get what you pay for :) Maybe an open-backed set of AT's at the same price point of the MSR7b might suit you? You could always add a USB DAC at a later stage.

Reactions: Section and Gray

Section

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Possibly. I haven't heard the 560S so I can't really comment, but another member on here does and he rates them very highly indeed.

My current headphone collection comprises of: Sennheiser HD650, HD598, RS220; Shure SRH840; Grado SR225. Senns and Shure are the pick for comfort, HD650 for comfort and sound, but I'm not sure what you would prefer for sound signature. There are many more from the likes of AT, Beyerdynamic, etc., which could fit the bill regarding comfort, each has their own sound signature.

I note that your current headphones are at different price points, the AT being the more expensive, whilst this is not a guarantee of better performance, it generally is in the real world - you get what you pay for :) Maybe an open-backed set of AT's at the same price point of the MSR7b might suit you? You could always add a USB DAC at a later stage.

Regarding the sound signature, I can say that I'm more inclined towards Balanced with Warm/Smooth. I'm specially wary of over-bright treble.

Actually, I'm willing to go as high as $300 for my new pairs, which is above the retail price of my current AT. I understand that 560S is almost half that price, but I'm not sure what can I go for, for an upgrade. I will look into AT open-backs though. Thanks!

Reactions: WayneKerr

WayneKerr

Regarding the sound signature, I can say that I'm more inclined towards Balanced with Warm/Smooth. I'm specially wary of over-bright treble.

Actually, I'm willing to go as high as $300 for my new pairs, which is above the retail price of my current AT. I understand that 560S is almost half that price, but I'm not sure what can I go for, for an upgrade. I will look into AT open-backs though. Thanks!
The 560S may well fit the bill and delight you, our ears are very different. Therefore, headphones are very much down to personal choice, so please proceed with caution and don't take my advice or recommendations as gospel(y)

If you can't audition at a store then it will be a blind purchase, maybe amazon with their return policy would be a possible way to try before you buy. I do find my HD650 offer a warmer presentation to my ears, but even though Sennheiser range have a "house sound" they can vary from one headphone model to another, probably the same with other brands too.

As for the "PS" in your original post I believe the only way you may be able to achieve this would probably be a speaker set-up of some kind. Personally, I'm a speaker person, my headphones get little use.

Reactions: Section

Section

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
The 560S may well fit the bill and delight you, our ears are very different. Therefore, headphones are very much down to personal choice, so please proceed with caution and don't take my advice or recommendations as gospel(y)

If you can't audition at a store then it will be a blind purchase, maybe amazon with their return policy would be a possible way to try before you buy. I do find my HD650 offer a warmer presentation to my ears, but even though Sennheiser range have a "house sound" they can vary from one headphone model to another, probably the same with other brands too.

As for the "PS" in your original post I believe the only way you may be able to achieve this would probably be a speaker set-up of some kind. Personally, I'm a speaker person, my headphones get little use.
Thanks for the advice!

Yes, testing them is an option for me. Although I need to tour the city and test them each in a different store :D Amazon is also an option.

I've also added AKG K702 to my list, as I've heard it has an incredible soundstage (though probably needs equalizer for a better tune).

And then regarding your final comment, I hadn't considered a speaker setup up to that point! It's a very new thing to me and I should do my research to see if I can get my hands on a decent equipment in this price range.

Gray

In view of the above, I think you should knock the 560S off of your audition list.

They give a balanced sound....but, I bought them because I wanted less warmth and more prominent higher frequencies than the (HD-590) headphones that I already owned.

I think the 650 would be more to your taste.

WayneKerr

Thanks for the advice!

Yes, testing them is an option for me. Although I need to tour the city and test them each in a different store :D Amazon is also an option.

I've also added AKG K702 to my list, as I've heard it has an incredible soundstage (though probably needs equalizer for a better tune).

And then regarding your final comment, I hadn't considered a speaker setup up to that point! It's a very new thing to me and I should do my research to see if I can get my hands on a decent equipment in this price range.
You'll get there and find something which suits your ear, AKG is also a good call. Obviously if your source is your laptop you will probably need to look at headphones with a low impedance in order for your laptop to drive them to an acceptable volume. High impedance headphones "might" require and amp. Please come back and let us know how you get on with your search (y)

Regarding a speaker set-up you have various routes: powered, active, and passive, (passive will require and amp). £ for £, or € for €, a headphone set-up will give greater results. Based purely on my own experience my first price-matched hi-fi system was beaten by the HD650's, headphones were £350 hi-fi was £1K split equally between amp, CD, and speakers. The next hi-fi system was 3x the cost and the HD650's seemed to match it in terms of performance. My current system is now 3x that cost and the HD650's cannot get anywhere near the experience... maybe time for a better set of headphones for me :)

Reactions: Section and Gray

Section

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
In view of the above, I think you should knock the 560S off of your audition list.

They give a balanced sound....but, I bought them because I wanted less warmth and more prominent higher frequencies than the (HD-590) headphones that I already owned.

I think the 650 would be more to your taste.

Thanks!

I will definitely check it beside other recommended options.

You'll get there and find something which suits your ear, AKG is also a good call. Obviously if your source is your laptop you will probably need to look at headphones with a low impedance in order for your laptop to drive them to an acceptable volume. High impedance headphones "might" require and amp. Please come back and let us know how you get on with your search (y)

Regarding a speaker set-up you have various routes: powered, active, and passive, (passive will require and amp). £ for £, or € for €, a headphone set-up will give greater results. Based purely on my own experience my first price-matched hi-fi system was beaten by the HD650's, headphones were £350 hi-fi was £1K split equally between amp, CD, and speakers. The next hi-fi system was 3x the cost and the HD650's seemed to match it in terms of performance. My current system is now 3x that cost and the HD650's cannot get anywhere near the experience... maybe time for a better set of headphones for me :)

Huh! So I should get rich first before heading that way :D

I will indeed let you know how I ended up.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

WayneKerr

Not a question of getting rich per se, it's more of an addiction striving for the best sound possible within your budget... obviously I have spent way above my intended budget as my addiction was particularly severe :LOL:

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
My recommendation would be the Sennheiser HD 6XX. The sound quality is identical to the HD650. Many reviewers have clarified this browse the web and YouTube. For your sound signature, the HD 6XX is the easiest recommendation I can make. ⬇️

WayneKerr

My recommendation would be the Sennheiser HD 6XX. The sound quality is identical to the HD650. Many reviewers have clarified this browse the web and YouTube. For your sound signature, the HD 6XX is the easiest recommendation I can make. ⬇

Totally agree that this series of headphone would probably be the ideal solution, however, shipping and associated import charges to the EU could take it well over the €300 the OP is willing to spend.

Reactions: Section and Al ears

SteveR750

I'd add the sundara to your list. I had the HD560s, HD650 and Sundara (and Grado Hemp too) all on my desk for a month or two earlier last year. Out of that group I found the sundara to be the best balance of tonality, and dynamics. The 560 are on the bright side on my head anyway, so that might not work for you either.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS