Redundant hifi?

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
A few years ago I bought a CD player that I had always wanted.

Yamaha CDS2100

A solid piece of engineering. Well built... like a tank and I love the look of it.
yamaha cd s2100.jpg

Recently I have built a NAS and have uploaded my movies, pictures and ripped CDs to it.

All good :)

My last purchase has been my streamer. An Arcam ST60.

Now the streamer sounds very nice. Very nice indeed

So the problem?

After ripping my CDs I find that my CD player has become redundant. It's much simply to boot up the streamer and play my music. rather than hubt through a stack of CDs.

What equipment have you bought that has now become redundant?

jy999

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Lol good timing, I just started another thread with similar thoughts - do we need CD players?

I have been considering a CD player / transport, because it's fun to open a CD and pop it in. But for the reasons you mention, plus price, so far I am just using my plex server to my media streamer (a WiiM pro).

While we're at it, I'll take that CD player off your hands if you want. I'll even split the shipping with you! ;)

Messiah

What equipment have you bought that has now become redundant?
VHS player
Laserdisc Player
Tuner
Dedicated DVD player (Just use PS5 now)
Dedicated Blu-Ray player (Again, just use PS5)
Dedicated MP3 (iPod) player. (Just use my phone now)

Whilst I stream music/video a lot, I still use CD quite often and on occasion, the odd cassette.

Cork

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
I thought my tuner was redundant, and then I couldn't get a playoff baseball game through any other means last year (most of the newer cell phones don't have FM any more), so I had to rummage through the garage last year to dig out the tuner. So I had a case of double-new technology requiring the re-instatement of a previous outdated piece of equipment.

Reactions: Symples

Steve983

May 31, 2014
Visit site
I will always use a cd player. I have downloads on a USB stick which I can plug into my Marantz CD6004 too. For me streaming is not a good thing for music makers so I don't and won't use it. Years ago my hi fi tuner became redundant because there is no music on the radio that I like and of course the cassette decks went quite a few years back too!

Cork

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
... For me streaming is not a good thing for music makers ...
I partially disagree. While I do buy CDs (and rip them) to support artists, many local artists don't have the following or money to have a commercial CD produced, but they can still sell their music on services such as Bandcamp where they can be purchased and streamed/downloaded.

The only thing I’ve put away is a cassette deck. I used it for a short while, bought a few cassettes, but ultimately it didn’t have the dynamics to justify keeping it in the rack.
The turntable is slowly becoming a novelty item, used only occasionally.
My CD player has elevated my use of the format massively.
When I used the Marantz cd player I got lazy and just listened to music via the usb input.
The Luxman CD player I have now encourages me to play more music than anything I’ve had before.

Reactions: Al ears

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I’ve recently started buying cds again. After digging out my 22 year old cd player a year ago. When you can pick up cds on vinted for as low as 50p with modern releases only going for 2 quid I find the format hard to ignore. Redundant? No passed over? For sure.

Just important a blue stone album from Canada and loving it.

I don’t know how long my beloved NAD has left in its circuits but I’ll being playing it till it dies.

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS