Headphone jack of phone connected to stereo amp AUX - too quiet

Hi all,

This is the situation: I often play music from my Sony Xperia SP phone or Ipad 2 via the AUX 1 channel of my Marantz PM7000 stereo amplifier. I do this through a 3,5mm to RCA cable. I noticed, though, that playback volume is not nearly as loud as through my cd player connected to the CD channel of the amplifier. I understand this has to do with the headphone jack voltage being lower.

How can I solve this? I have a HQ microphone/phono amplifier, will this, in microphone setting, work to amplify the headphone jack signal of my phone to the aux input? If not, do I need another stereo preamp? Or maybe a headphone preamp will do the trick, for example the fiio e6?

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Why not just turn up the amp's volume? Don't be scared. That's what that extra room on the dial is for : lower voltage sources.

That and be sure to have your portable device's volume turned to max.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I use an Arcam Dock for my ipad. You bypass the ipads amp and dac and get full output this way. Sounds much better too. You could try a bluetooth receiver too, again the arcam rblink mini gives very nice results. Fiio do a range of cables that are ipad 30pin to 3.5mm jack. These effectively act much like a dock giving you better quality direct output from your ipad.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
One of these for the ipad

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Line-Dock-Cable-iPhone/dp/B004M172G8/ref=sr_1_15

They might have some similar for your sony. As mentioned a bluetooth receiver would be a good option to have easy connectivity for both devices rather than swapping cables or docks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts