HDMI system flawed?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
TV is JVC LT-Z40SX6 (older LCD model), AVR is a new Onkyo TX-NR1008 connected thru HDMI. No audio return path or HDMI control is active from the onkyo.

Problem... When I want to only listen to an audio source thru the AVR (eg: DVD-Audio or network player) and I have chosen the track(s) press 'play' and switch 'off' the TV, the audio coming from the onkyo is MUTED for a couple of seconds... at the same time the "HDMI" word which is displayed on the onkyo flashes. This happens regardless for any and all HDMI sources thru the avr when the TV is switched off.

Now I can assume that the avr is loosing some sort of 'sync' when the TV is switched off.... but this means that I miss the start of every first track. This is NOT a trait of an advance in technology and is ridiculous to me, as far as I am concerned.

Onkyo here in Dubai say this is "normal"....?!?!?!?!?! I emailed the HDMI org website and got no reply!!

Is it my TV only.? I don't think so, feedback from other web forums seem to suggest I am not alone.

comments anyone..

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Isn't this only if you have HDMI control (Viera Link or similar) turned on?

EDIT: Rookie mistake. I've now actually read the original post. Please disregard (can't delete my idiotic post).

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
hammill said:
My Onkyo 875/Kuro does that too. Annoying isn't it

I'm guessing at an HDMI handshake issue here, I have the same issue with my Sony tv and Yamaha receiver when I fire up the Blu Ray player, can and does bob back and forth between BDP and Digital tv if both are on

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid said:
hammill said:
My Onkyo 875/Kuro does that too. Annoying isn't it

I'm guessing at an HDMI handshake issue here, I have the same issue with my Sony tv and Yamaha receiver when I fire up the Blu Ray player, can and does bob back and forth between BDP and Digital tv if both are on
That is what I thought, although the fact that the amp stops sending sound through the speakers when the TV has been turned off strikes me as a design error in the amp.

A

Anonymous

yes, that's the work around... unless of course you want to turn on the TV to select another track (not the next track obviously) then you need the TV again and when you turn it off again.. well you know what happens..
this is just poor design/implementation as far as I see it.. glad to konw I am not alone..

I thought that technology was menat to improve on previous versions and make things easier/better/fool proof.. blah blah
cheers

nads

doobre said:
I thought that technology was menat to improve on previous versions and make things easier/better/fool proof.. blah blah cheers

yes but not for the user. it is the HDCP handshack going on as it is now having to read the OK signal from the amp and not the TV. Or something similar. the other issue is why were no retainer designed into the plug!

A

Anonymous

Unfortunatly the main priority of HDMI is to stop you from copying copyright protected material - I guess this is what causes this type of problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts