HDMI Cable 10m - Suggestion Please

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Well.. very recently, I have become a cable convert. I just saw what a great difference in Sound can speaker wires bring, I am now into getting all the cables done to the minimum acceptable level.

So, any suggestions for a 10Meter HDMI cable. I prefer a flat cable if there is no sacrifice on performance. HDMI 1.4 is not a must but preferred.

Please let me know based on your experience. I currently have a no brand white HDMI cable which is HDMI 1.4

No harm in checking (in fact, it's recommended), but you do realise that speaker cables carry analogue signals while HDMI carries digital. So the difference may not be as startling as you would expect.

What's your budget?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
No harm in checking (in fact, it's recommended), but you do realise that speaker cables carry analogue signals while HDMI carries digital. So the difference may not be as startling as you would expect.

What's your budget?

Thanks Bigboss.. I WAS a little cheap on cables.. My current 10M HDMI cable costed me 15 Pounds. I am fine upto 50 Pounds let us say, but only if some one has seen an improvement.

Yes, I do realise that the signal is Digital. I recetly bought a 10m Optical cable as I relocated my Mac Mini. I did not expect any improvement as my previous optical cable was 20 Pounds for 1m and the current one is 20 pounds for 10m. But surpirisingly, the sound has become cleaner and tighter with the cheaper optical cable.

Initially I discounted it, assuming that I must only be imagining things.

But today I did tests, by swapping speaker cables as well as optical cables (Ofcourse, one change at a time) and my other half confirmed my observation as well. It could be that the 1m Optical cable, though expensive, was rubbish and the 10m optical cable is the standard.

Either ways, I just want to give a shot but not spend insane amounts of money.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
pioneer7 said:
Hi wishtree

bit over your buget but if you want flat check this.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/van-den-hul-flat-180
£200 for a 10m cable. A bit more than a bit over
smiley-smile.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I currenly use one of these as need a cable which stretches round the room - it does a very good job. I've not done a side by side comparison against one of the upmarket cables because there was no way I was going to spend much more money than this for a reasonably temporary solution (whilst living in a rented flat). Don't worry that it says 1.3B (there's actually no such thing as a 1.3B or 1.4 cable). Even though it's not High Speed certified, it transmits 1080p just fine and I suspect therefore that it will also transmit 3D just fine.

Must stress I only use it to transport picture from my AV amp to my TV - sound duties are all done by a much shorter (1m) Chord cable from Blu-ray player to AV amp which are in the same rack.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Afraid not. The other hdmi I've bought from amazon recently is from 'HDMI King' but they don't appear to do one in the length you need. I'd particularly recommend them cos they sent me a free second cable in return for submitting a review!

Personally I wouldn't spend any more tha the That Cable you've been recommended. The thing is, That Cable is pretty budget, they just happen to have got a 5* review from WHF and the greater market exposure they have means they can increase their profit margin. I would be very surprised if you're getting anything much different with the other budget cables on Amazon, but you can save a few quid. Just my opinion of course :)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The only thing I'd add to this is, even those who don't see any or report any measurable differences in HDMI cables will admit cheaper cables can fail to work at all over longer distances i.e. 10m, even though the 1m or 2m version might work just fine. So a cheap cable might not be a good investment at these lengths unless you can be sure you can get your money back if you have such an instance.

Buying something fulfilled by Amazon means you should be fine if you need to send it back, but if it's another seller on Amazon, make sure you investigate their returns policy so you don't have any hassle if you do have issues (yes, distance regulations etc. should cover you, but I'm not sure what the regulations are like around opening packing on cables etc. so worth making sure you know your rights before buying).

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I should add that, while it is preferable and more straightforward to have the benefit of DSR / a favourable returns policy, if the product doesn't work, which can only be ascertained by opening the packaging and using the cable, you would be entitled to a refund / working replacement in any event.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts