Having trouble posting a reply...

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
same as. some replies i've made i've typed about 5 times, with word verification everytime, and still nothing appears.

i'll copy this one before posting as it'll probably vanish without trace.

nope, this one worked fine.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You're not alone... the "word verification" is a total pain.....can take several attempts, and I loose the paragraphing each time. :(

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Agreed, the need for the word verification is annoying, but the amount of spamming we were encountering on the site was taking up far too much moderation time, and annoying many users.

The duplication thing, however, doesn't seem to be connected - must admit I very rarely encounter it, and when I do it's usually because I've clicked the 'save' button twice.

A

Anonymous

i'm not sure how hard it would be to implement, but couldn't word verification be linked to post counts? most spammers are posting for the first time, if there was a ten post cut off it would do the job whithout interfering with the rest of us..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn said:
i'm not sure how hard it would be to implement, but couldn't word verification be linked to post counts?

Probably, but then experience suggests it's unwise to assume that just because someone has made lots of posts they won't suddenly do something really daft...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
maxflinn said:
i'm not sure how hard it would be to implement, but couldn't word verification be linked to post counts?

Probably, but then experience suggests it's unwise to assume that just because someone has made lots of posts they won't suddenly do something really daft...
or predictable? :)

Andrew Everard said:
Agreed, the need for the word verification is annoying, but the amount of spamming we were encountering on the site was taking up far too much moderation time, and annoying many users.

The duplication thing, however, doesn't seem to be connected - must admit I very rarely encounter it, and when I do it's usually because I've clicked the 'save' button twice.

I appreciate the need to protect the integrity of the forum and the genuine posters. Admirable. However, the compromise, it seems, is trying to post a reply and having 2, 3 or even 4 attempts before it's accepted. One reply on 'turntables' last night actually showed my name, but once you've clicked back to check it's nowhere to be seen - this is allowing for a natural time delay also.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The duplication problem is not one I seem to be able to replicate in any reliable manner: I suspect it may be happening at the browser end, rather than at our servers.

In other words, it's not a case of it being accepted or not, but your browser taking a while to show that the post has been made. Hence your similar posts at 11.03pm, 11.08pm and 11.31pm on the same thread.

This is what I meant by 'natural time delay'. Usually that is corrected if I come off line for 20 or 30 secs. then go back into it it is usually fine. What's been happening over the past 3 days is it initially shows 'plastic... @ 11.03. Come out of the forum altogether and re-enter and it disappears, including the post count on that particular thread/subject.

Another small problem - again in 'Hi-Fi' section is posts show just below the title in a pink shaded box, something to the effect of "You cannot enter this forum..." or something to that end. Again it isn't accepted.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
This is what I meant by 'natural time delay'. Usually that is corrected if I come off line for 20 or 30 secs. then go back into it it is usually fine. What's been happening over the past 3 days is it initially shows 'plastic... @ 11.03. Come out of the forum altogether and re-enter and it disappears, including the post count on that particular thread/subject.

Again, I fear this may be a caching problem at your end.

plastic penguin said:
Another small problem - again in 'Hi-Fi' section is posts show just below the title in a pink shaded box, something to the effect of "You cannot enter this forum..." or something to that end. Again it isn't accepted.

No, not a phenomenon I seem to be able to replicate, whichever browser I use, and whether I am using an admin account, a user account or looking at the forums without signing in.

Andrew Everard said:
plastic penguin said:

Again, I fear this may be a caching problem at your end.

plastic penguin said:

No, not a phenomenon I seem to be able to replicate, whichever browser I use, and whether I am using an admin account, a user account or looking at the forums without signing in.

Yup, you've pointed last night I posted three times on "which cartridge" yet it only show one post by me. I've just posted another one on the same thread, mainly as a tester, which seems to be alright. These blips have only been consistant since the forum was rejigged.

Also, I've checked my end to make sure I wasn't double clicking to duplicate a post. Then the thought crossed me that maybe the mouse was faulty - that's not been changed. Something's afoot...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Yup, you've pointed last night I posted three times on "which cartridge" yet it only show one post by me. I've just posted another one on the same thread, mainly as a tester, which seems to be alright. These blips have only been consistant since the forum was rejigged. Also, I've checked my end to make sure I wasn't double clicking to duplicate a post. Then the thought crossed me that maybe the mouse was faulty - that's not been changed. Something's afoot...

No, I am now seeing four almost identical posts by you on that same thread, so I am about to delete three of them. And nothing's 'afoot', exciting though a conspiracy theory might seem: it really does now appear to be a glitch at your end...

Andrew Everard said:
plastic penguin said:
Yup, you've pointed last night I posted three times on "which cartridge" yet it only show one post by me. I've just posted another one on the same thread, mainly as a tester, which seems to be alright. These blips have only been consistant since the forum was rejigged. Also, I've checked my end to make sure I wasn't double clicking to duplicate a post. Then the thought crossed me that maybe the mouse was faulty - that's not been changed. Something's afoot...

No, I am now seeing four almost identical posts by you on that same thread, so I am about to delete three of them. And nothing's 'afoot', exciting though a conspiracy theory might seem: it really does now appear to be a glitch at your end...

The word 'conspiracy' hasn't entered my mind-set. I'm just trying to alert you that there maybe a potential problem. Are these almost identical posts actually shown on the forum? - or has anyone else see them or just the one?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I saw them too - Andrew beat me to deleting the duplicates. :)

We'll certainly feed all this back to the tech team tomorrow, and apologies again for the problems as the spam filter beds in.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The word 'conspiracy' hasn't entered my mind-set. I'm just trying to alert you that there maybe a potential problem.

Sorry, I was just teasing...

plastic penguin said:
Are these almost identical posts actually shown on the forum? - or has anyone else see them or just the one?

Yes, all four were visible, in three different browsers and two different devices, and whether I was signed in as an admin or a regular user, or not signed in at all. That was why I suggested the problem may be at your end.

chebby said:
PP, do you ever clear all of your old cookies and cache, history, temp files etc?

If not, try posting after you have deleted that lot and see if there is a diffference.

Sorry, Cheb, this is "planet Zog" speak to me. Crikey, I have trouble with joined up writing... ;)

((Creases brow)) sorry my posts are duplicating again. Changed the mouse last night and no difference.

Duplicating again. Gawd this is getting frustrating again.

TRENDING THREADS