I couldn't give it away!

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
When I was leaving the UK in 1991 I still had my Dads Goldring GL75 turntable (which was in excellent condition). I grew up in the 70's listening to all my music on it.
My dad had passed and for some reason my brother didn't want it (I should have taken it to my mothers place and left it with her but she was 300 miles away)!
I walked around a few stores in London trying to sell it and nobody wanted it. I finally found a secondhand hi-fi store and the guy very reluctantly gave me £5 for it.
I often wonder how it would compare today with say a Rega P3 or similar... or would it come closer to the performance of say a Technics SL 1200?
If I ever did buy a turntable in the future (and that's a big 'if') I would at least want something that would be equivalent in performance and quality.
Anyone used a GL75 recently (refurbished and with a good cartridge)?

Attachments

• Goldring-Lenco-GL75.jpg
    Goldring-Lenco-GL75.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: DougK1
I used to own the Leak version which was basically as your photo but in a different plinth.
It wasn't a bad turntable for the money in those days but haven't had it for many a year.
I went from that to the original Rega Planar 3 which made quite a jump in performance.

Gray

When I was leaving the UK in 1991 I still had my Dads Goldring GL75 turntable (which was in excellent condition). I grew up in the 70's listening to all my music on it.
My dad had passed and for some reason my brother didn't want it (I should have taken it to my mothers place and left it with her but she was 300 miles away)!
I walked around a few stores in London trying to sell it and nobody wanted it. I finally found a secondhand hi-fi store and the guy very reluctantly gave me £5 for it.
I often wonder how it would compare today with say a Rega P3 or similar... or would it come closer to the performance of say a Technics SL 1200?
If I ever did buy a turntable in the future (and that's a big 'if') I would at least want something that would be equivalent in performance and quality.
Anyone used a GL75 recently (refurbished and with a good cartridge)?
I used one of those when I worked at the Top Rank in Brighton.
It was used for the same, well worn 7" 45 vinyl at the end of the night "Isn't that a lovely way to say goodnight" by The symbols. (It wasn't lovely by the way).

(Thanks for bringing back the memory 😕).

TRENDING THREADS