Have i made a mistake? Im worried. Denon DM37DAB + Mordaunt short 902i HELP!!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Ok thanks, it seems like i can only do it via URL.

So if you guys are on a v forums i have the same thread there and the photos are on there also

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
roblikeshismusic:
Ok thanks, it seems like i can only do it via URL.

So if you guys are on another site i have the same thread there and the photos are on there also

http://www.another site/forums/hi-fi-systems-separates/1236042-have-i-made-mistake-im-worried-denon-dm37dab-mordaunt-short-902i-help.html

No offence, but ANY speaker is going to sound horrendous where you have your's placed.

Drop them down by at say two thirds to ear level (and just be careful when you open what I assume is the door by the wardrobe). What I assume is also your left speaker by the window can be pulled out further in to the room to get it out of the corner. Likewise the speaker above the wardrobe if you can move it over.

No demo will replicate in your own personal listening environment, but you have to make some effort to accommodate your set-up. Shame I can't put pix up to show what I'VE had to do!

A

Anonymous

Sizzers: No offence, but ANY speaker is going to sound horrendous where you have your's placed.

Drop them down by at say two thirds to ear level (and just be careful when you open what I assume is the door by the wardrobe). What I assume is also your left speaker by the window can be pulled out further in to the room to get it out of the corner. Likewise the speaker above the wardrobe if you can move it over.

No demo will replicate in your own personal listening environment, but you have to make some effort to accommodate your set-up. Shame I can't put pix up to show what I'VE had to do!
Fair enough with your comments, but i think using the word "horrendous" is a bit over the top! you have to remember that i said most of the listening is done standing up that's why they are a bit higher, and the tweeters are at ear level when in a standing posistion.

I appreciate your recommendations of placement , i just don't want to drill anymore holes! you think i should move the wardrobe maybe?

Also would tilting them down fix this problem a bit more? if so i may have re consider about getting them q acoustics 2020's as the specific bracket for them screws to the speaker allowing full tilt control, i can tilt the brackets i have but they recommend drlling into the cabinet when doing so (which i do not want to do)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
The worst place to position a speaker is right in the corner of a room. Your's are placed in the apex of the wall and the ceiling so now you have sound reflecting off 4 surfaces in each corner which is not going to do your listening experience any favours.

IMO any speaker you buy is not going to give you any real satisfaction where they are located. If you are set on leaving them where they are I would suggest the Roth OLi1's, although you will get other opinions!

Tilting down will help greatly if you can get a good angle, but please don't drill your cabinets. Anyway, up at 4 for work so nite nite, and good luck!

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks for your input and suggestions. Im getting really sick of thinking about everything now though, i just want it all sorted. I've never thought about hi fi's so much!

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
roblikeshismusic:Ok thanks for your input and suggestions. Im getting really sick of thinking about everything now though, i just want it all sorted. I've never thought about hi fi's so much!

Haha it's normal.Now i am just cracking my head to find a way to make my HK sound better.Get a mixer with equalizer or just sell it.

like someone also said above.the onlyo trounces the nad.(wich lacks definition).I personally feel you would be happyer with the yamaha or onkyo.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
roblikeshismusic:Ok thanks for your input and suggestions. Im getting really sick of thinking about everything now though, i just want it all sorted. I've never thought about hi fi's so much!

Haha it's normal.Now i am just cracking my head to find a way to make my HK sound better.Get a mixer with equalizer or just sell it.

like someone also said above.the onlyo trounces the nad.(wich lacks definition).I personally feel you would be happyer with the yamaha or onkyo.

onlyo comes with speakers that are in fact very good also.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
roblikeshismusic:So if you guys are on a v forums i have the same thread there and the photos are on there also
That's a bit cramped. Have you considered Head-Fi ?

roblikeshismusic:im sure its a general sort of rule that the tweeter should be at ear level of your listening position, now if your sitting down watching a film thats fine but most of my listening is done walking around, how does that work?
There are some pretty good wireless cans out there too, so you could walk around without worrying about wires. Also, headphone extension cables (5-10m) are pretty cheap.

A

Anonymous

Nah i haven't considered Head-Fi, but if i need help again i may check it out, thanks.

A

Anonymous

AL13N: roblikeshismusic:im sure its a general sort of rule that the tweeter should be at ear level of your listening position, now if your sitting down watching a film thats fine but most of my listening is done walking around, how does that work?
There are some pretty good wireless cans out there too, so you could walk around without worrying about wires. Also, headphone extension cables (5-10m) are pretty cheap.

That's ok, not really what i am looking for, thanks though.

A

Anonymous

Just so you guys know i bought the Yamaha CRXD430.

Also tested the system at currys, with the yamaha supplied speakers.

Anyway the volume control is the far better, and the sound was very pleasent, detailed and warm with the samll cabinet speakers supplied.

Should be all good, plus it's got the ipod dock intergrated which means i can play back my ipod it good quality rather then through a RCA cable with headphone jack.

I'll post back how it is.

A

Anonymous

ear:roblikeshismusic do you have it already? let us know !

No i don't have it yet, ordered it from superfi online. should have it soon. :)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:roblikeshismusic:ear:
Pint: the dm37 will never be a perfect amp.

speakers beeing suggested here can be very good indeed.

I'd always change the amp in a near future.

Yes i know that but all im looking for at the moment is a micro system within £250 and the denon seems to be the best rated. Only other one i considered was the yamaha crxd430 or some of the older onkyo micro hi fi;s. basically anything with at lesat 2 x 25w power. denon is 2 x 30w which is a bonus.

Of course the DM37 isn't a perfect amp. Neither is the Yamaha AX-397 ear uses, the NAD C326BEE I use, the C355BEE Dan is getting or even the Naim Nait 5i that Chebby has. It is a ridiculous statement.

For the money, volume control increments notwithstanding, the little Denon is outstanding.

The Denon is surprisingly good.

I run my CDP through the line-out of my Head Box in to it and it really is an excellent little amp . Next tweak, attenuators!

A

Anonymous

Still waiting on the yamaha system as it is supposedly discontinued now!
Superfi said they are contacting the supplier and trying to order some
more.

Gaaah all this is annoying now....

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
roblikeshismusic:
more.

Rob,

I had similar challenges when trying to get through Richer Sounds, didn't want the Denon 37 DAB so got a deal on the Cambridge One from RS, very pleased with the quality and sound

Bit more than your budget for the Yamaha/Denon, but do yourself a favour and go and have a look, really pleased with mine.

Has two Line In inputs as well, which is what I wanted but the Yamaha did not have.

iPod dock is also excellent, as is CD playback, all in all a very good unit

A

Anonymous

fayeanddavid:roblikeshismusic:
more.

Rob,

I had similar challenges when trying to get through Richer Sounds, didn't want the Denon 37 DAB so got a deal on the Cambridge One from RS, very pleased with the quality and sound

Bit more than your budget for the Yamaha/Denon, but do yourself a favour and go and have a look, really pleased with mine.

Has two Line In inputs as well, which is what I wanted but the Yamaha did not have.

Yeah i have seen that cambridge audio one micro system. only thing that's putting me off it is that alot of people say that the pairing of cambridge audio and mordaunt short is not that good or overly bright as its matching a bright system with bright speakers. Of course its based on your preference but it kind of puts me off, plus it costs more.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
roblikeshismusic:fayeanddavid:roblikeshismusic:
more.

Rob,

Yeah i have seen that cambridge audio one micro system. only thing that's putting me off it is that alot of people say that the pairing of cambridge audio and mordaunt short is not that good or overly bright as its matching a bright system with bright speakers. Of course its based on your preference but it kind of puts me off, plus it costs more.

Personally I'd have changed the speakers.

You have far more options to change the speakers to suit the amp than the other way round , and the Denon isn't a rubbish amp.

A

Anonymous

Yeah i know i have many more options changing the speakers other then the system but there are 3 reasons why i haven't done so.

- I would make a loss on the speakers if i sold them on as richersounds won't take them back unless its an exchange (they for around 70-100 on ebay, i paid £150 for them and i would still consider them new.

- I love the look of them

-The volume increments annoyed me on the denon

Ordered the yamaha from hifix now, hopefully they have some left!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
roblikeshismusic:
Yeah i know i have many more options changing the speakers other then the system but there are 3 reasons why i haven't done so.

- I would make a loss on the speakers if i sold them on as richersounds won't take them back unless its an exchange (they for around 70-100 on ebay, i paid £150 for them and i would still consider them new.

- I love the look of them

-The volume increments annoyed me on the denon

Ordered the yamaha from hifix now, hopefully they have some left!

In fairness your original complaint was against the speakers being too bright, not the volume increments - this only came up when Mr P (as he's also stated elsewhere) said that he could not live with them. Each to their own, though.

As I've also said before, unless you get the speakers out of the corners of the wall and the ceiling ANY speaker is going to be more than compromised.

My Tannoy's are no oil painting but I just listen to them, not look at them (soon to be changed, though!)

Just my thoughts.

TRENDING THREADS