Have i made a mistake? Im worried. Denon DM37DAB + Mordaunt short 902i HELP!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I bought some Mezzo 2s from Richer Sounds and they were happy to refund them used up to a couple of weeks, so you may wish to decide soon. However, I get the impresion with RS that it depends as much on the staff member you get as anything else. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Ah thanks Cidershed

Im just torn as to what to do now, do i change the speakers after i've done a full run in?

Or shall i just change my denon dm37dab to yamaha crxd430, after all i do dislike the volume increments on the dm37.

Maybe the yamaha will be a better match??

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Ah, the achilles heal of the Denon - its volume control increments. This was the only reason why I gave up on one and it is annoying.

If it irritates you, think about the Yamaha instead.

Hmm i may just do so.. peter tyson has it for £199.

arggh what to do, what to do.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I really think that before you write the Denon off (just because it's volume control isnt the best) you need to demo it with the above mentioned speakers.

You may find that using the Q Acoustic 2020's for example to be hell of a lot better than your current 902i's!

I agree that when demoing speakers, ideally you want them to be already run in, but that's not always the case and their sound may not be to your liking when you get them home and they have run in!

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:I really think that before you write the Denon off (just because it's volume control isnt the best) you need to demo it with the above mentioned speakers.

You may find that using the Q Acoustic 2020's for example to be hell of a lot better than your current 902i's!

I agree that when demoing speakers, ideally you want them to be already run in, but that's not always the case and their sound may not be to your liking when you get them home and they have run in!

Yeah i suppose you are right. How are the q acoustic's for rock music? also thinking maybe the Wharfedale 9.1's or MA BR1's or Br2's.

Gaaah too many options!

If anything i want to spend less on the speakers or overall.

matthewpiano

The Diamond 9.1s are very good speakers and certainly warmer than the Mordaunt-Shorts. They can lack a little rhythmic verve on occasion but it is all about compromise at this end of the market.

Q's speakers are generally very good with rock music and very rhythmic whilst also serving other styles extremely well. I often think my 1030i floorstanders would be the ideal speaker for me if they had a touch less bass. I am going to give the 2010s and 2020s a listen myself at some point.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
roblikeshismusic:
[

Yeah i suppose you are right. How are the q acoustic's for rock music? also thinking maybe the Wharfedale 9.1's or MA BR1's or Br2's.

BR1s just fine for rock. Pretty well all I ever play through them. Don't know about the QAs, not heard them.

Rich

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Get them all demo'd Rob; that's the only way you'll find out
emotion-1.gif

TBH the M/A BR2's are very good speakers but I dont think the Denon would drive them to their best.

However the Q Acoustic speakers and the M/A BR1's as well as the Wharfedale 9.1's and possibly the 10.1's will do very well indeed.

IMO for your taste in music the Q Acoustic 2020's or the 2010's would be ideal; more so as they are desiged to go with their own wall brackets as well!

Get some demo's book with the Denon DM37 and listen to 3 or 4 lots of speakers and try to decide from there
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:The Diamond 9.1s are very good speakers and certainly warmer than the Mordaunt-Shorts. They can lack a little rhythmic verve on occasion but it is all about compromise at this end of the market.

Q's speakers are generally very good with rock music and very rhythmic whilst also serving other styles extremely well. I often think my 1030i floorstanders would be the ideal speaker for me if they had a touch less bass. I am going to give the 2010s and 2020s a listen myself at some point.

Yeah well i like the sound of warm speakers but i dont want them sounding dull i would like an exciting sound with good detail also!

The 2020's look very nice to me in gloss white.

Hmmm.

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:Get them all demo'd Rob; that's the only way you'll find out
emotion-1.gif

TBH the M/A BR2's are very good speakers but I dont think the Denon would drive them to their best.

However the Q Acoustic speakers and the M/A BR1's as well as the Wharfedale 9.1's and possibly the 10.1's will do very well indeed.

IMO for your taste in music the Q Acoustic 2020's or the 2010's would be ideal; more so as they are desiged to go with their own wall brackets as well!

Get some demo's book with the Denon DM37 and listen to 3 or 4 lots of speakers and try to decide from there
emotion-5.gif

Ok i think you are right here! favouring the q acoustic 2020's at the moment based on what you just said. i may try for a demo in audio t, going to call them now..

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
to maxflinn 10 inch is good pal thats about what i thought was the best if you get as close as 6inch i found the bottom end took over a little. If the base is to much try getting a bung and cutting in half and put half in the back of each speaker it really just mess around and find what you like. good luck pal

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
You say your set-up is in a "smallish" room (I doubt as small as mine!), where bass reproduction from your speakers isn't really as critical an issue as when you're having to fill a large(r) room with sound.

Indeed, if you like to listen at loud volumes in an enclosed environment a good "bass" speaker can end up drowning out everything else. What you listen to in a nice large demo room at volume isn't going to reproduce in a bedroom, for example. This is one reason why I love the Dali's so much in a small room, so when you go to Richers check out if they have a pair to demo and tell me what you think. I'm not recommending them as they are a lot over your budget but would like to read your opinion all the same.

Just my humble thoughts.

A

Anonymous

I've got Denon 37 Rob with Q A 2010's. They fine for rock music, that's all i listen to. Had em on a shelf for a long time. Now got em on stands. They sound far better on stands. Hope that helps!

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
roblikeshismusic:The 2020's look very nice to me in gloss white.
They have their own dedicated stands in gloss white too. A nice upgrade if you find space for them in future.

A

Anonymous

It's definitely worth hearing the BR2's with the Denon, a friend of mine had that setup and it sounded pretty damn good. What I would say is when you demo them, make sure the speakers are much closer to the wall because you want a more accurate mirror of how your speakers are set up.

A

Anonymous

smuggs:to maxflinn 10 inch is good pal thats about what i thought was the best if you get as close as 6inch i found the bottom end took over a little. If the base is to much try getting a bung and cutting in half and put half in the back of each speaker it really just mess around and find what you like. good luck pal
thanks , i have the ready made spongues that shipped with the speakers , ill try with them in the back and see how it sounds , very pleased anyway , but ill try a few things , improvements are always good ..

A

Anonymous

AL13N:roblikeshismusic:The 2020's look very nice to me in gloss white.
They have their own dedicated stands in gloss white too. A nice upgrade if you find space for them in future.

Ah very good point!!! Thank you.

The only thing i want to know about stands is; are they made for cinema setups? becuase im sure its a general sort of rule that the tweeter should be at ear level of your listening position, now if your sitting down watching a film thats fine but most of my listening is done walking around, how does that work? or does it not relly matter? looks like most speaker stands don't make the tweeter meet at ear level when standing.

A

Anonymous

hi fi newbie:It's definitely worth hearing the BR2's with the Denon, a friend of mine had that setup and it sounded pretty damn good. What I would say is when you demo them, make sure the speakers are much closer to the wall because you want a more accurate mirror of how your speakers are set up.

Ok thanks for your input!, only thing is that br2's are fairly expensive and cost more then the 902i's i have (don't really want to spend more!)

Yeah i will see if i can get them to put them near a wall so it replicates my listening enviroment, cheers.

A

Anonymous

No problem right in that case, i would also mention the Wharfedale 9.1's, by the way is it simply not possible to put speaker stands in your room?

A

Anonymous

yeah a few others are mentioning the diamond 9.1's.

It terms of stands i could put them in my room but they would take up even more floor space, plus the place where i would put them wouldn't be the right listening area. i doubt stands would work unless i shuffled some things around but even so... you need to see pictures or a diagram of my room really.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts