Have i made a mistake? Im worried. Denon DM37DAB + Mordaunt short 902i HELP!!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Sizzers - do let us know what you think of the Roths. Dad has just bought a pair as an upgrade from the Tannoy F1 Customs (off the back of my enthusiasm for them) and he is just as pleased as I am (he is using his with a TEAC Reference 300MkIII system).

I will, seeing as it was your raving that put me on to them! lol

I've done my research and also read all of the positive comments made by Brittondave on here about them, so I'm really looking forward to finding out if they are the real deal!

Had wanted Lektor 1's for months but ended up buying a CDP instead lol, but if they're anywhere near as good as some people claim they are then they look a seriously good budget alternative. Unfortunately I won't be able to do a side by side comparison with the Dali's, but if I like them at the demo I'll buy them as I really need to work on buying a new amp.

A

Anonymous

It's the speskers at fault here, not the Denon, the sound is an issue with the MS as I have heard said Denon with plenty of speakers and I never had any reason to fault it.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
roblikeshismusic:So if you guys are on a v forums i have the same thread there and the photos are on there also

I rearranged my room today well tried to! and i have no room for speaker stands. I can't get rid of my wardrobe! where am i going to put my clothes and other bits and bobs?!?! LOL
If space is that tight then how about these?

Read the product description - some interesting points.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
AL13N:roblikeshismusic:So if you guys are on a v forums i have the same thread there and the photos are on there also

I rearranged my room today well tried to! and i have no room for speaker stands. I can't get rid of my wardrobe! where am i going to put my clothes and other bits and bobs?!?! LOL

Hmmm

A

Anonymous

AL13N:roblikeshismusic:So if you guys are on a v forums i have the same thread there and the photos are on there also

Not really what im looking for. thanks though.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:roblikeshismusic:basshead:
Sizzers:Move your brackets, lose your speakers, take the hit, and start again.You're just going round in circles mate.

couldnt agree more. seems that the OP dislikes the bright sound of the MS speakers, so should just change them. Mordaunt short are a bit like marmite, love them or hate them, and if you hate marmite then changing the bread used for the toast makes no difference.

especially given the OP's choice in music, i cannot see any change of amp being able to tame the brightness of what are VERY bright speakers.

Ok so im just going to go for the q acoustic 2020's with the specific mounts, what micro system or mini seperates would you recommend with them?

Do not want the denon dm37.

Also, it would be preferable if richersounds stock the micro system as i intend to exchange.

I am still awating my yamaha crxd430 but i doubt it will come through as 2 places i ordered from have already said its disconituned and can't get the stock, therefore cancelling the order.

Personally I would consider thinking about alternatives to the 2020's.

There's nothing wrong with building a system around your speakers, but you also need speakers to suit your room and IMO they don't appear to be the best solution for a small bedroom. The 2010's look a better proposition to me, especially with the comments made in the WHF review of the 2020's needing a reasonable amount of free space which, like me, you don't have.

Also consider the Roth Audio OLi 2's. There are a couple of members on here who rave about them, and they use considerably higher end kit. I'm off to Brum to have a listen to them in the next 2-3 weeks so I'm hoping they are that good!

Hmm the Roth's oli 2's do look good, nowhere i can demo them though!, i have demoed the q acoustic 2020's and liked them. how do the 2 compare? of course i understand that the roth's may be more suitable for me, but i much prefer the look of the q acoustics. plus you say about them needing room, why would they make specific stands for them then? should be alright.... or do you mean more room as in a bigger room?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
roblikeshismusic:Sizzers:roblikeshismusic:basshead:
Sizzers:Move your brackets, lose your speakers, take the hit, and start again.You're just going round in circles mate.

couldnt agree more. seems that the OP dislikes the bright sound of the MS speakers, so should just change them. Mordaunt short are a bit like marmite, love them or hate them, and if you hate marmite then changing the bread used for the toast makes no difference.

especially given the OP's choice in music, i cannot see any change of amp being able to tame the brightness of what are VERY bright speakers.

Ok so im just going to go for the q acoustic 2020's with the specific mounts, what micro system or mini seperates would you recommend with them?

Also, it would be preferable if richersounds stock the micro system as i intend to exchange.

I am still awating my yamaha crxd430 but i doubt it will come through as 2 places i ordered from have already said its disconituned and can't get the stock, therefore cancelling the order.

There's nothing wrong with building a system around your speakers, but you also need speakers to suit your room and IMO they don't appear to be the best solution for a small bedroom. The 2010's look a better proposition to me, especially with the comments made in the WHF review of the 2020's needing a reasonable amount of free space which, like me, you don't have.

Also consider the Roth Audio OLi 2's. There are a couple of members on here who rave about them, and they use considerably higher end kit. I'm off to Brum to have a listen to them in the next 2-3 weeks so I'm hoping they are that good!

Hmm the Roth's oli 2's do look good, nowhere i can demo them though!, i have demoed the q acoustic 2020's and liked them. how do the 2 compare? of course i understand that the roth's may be more suitable for me, but i much prefer the look of the q acoustics. plus you say about them needing room, why would they make specific stands for them then? should be alright.... or do you mean more room as in a bigger room?

Never heard the Q's, just going by the WHF review which you can read yourself to consider.

Remember, you have a small room (like myself) and even worse positioning options. And it's all very well listening to speakers belting out during an audition in a nice big demo room, but you don't need the same "oomph" in a small room.

I will be auditioning the Roth's within the month and if I like them, I'll buy them. Bought the CDP instead of the Lektor's, and it's that good I now want to replace the amp. So far the Roth's look a seriously good budget alternative as mentioned previously, but until I've heard them who knows.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:roblikeshismusic:Sizzers:roblikeshismusic:basshead:

Never heard the Q's, just going by the WHF review which you can read yourself to consider.

Remember, you have a small room (like myself) and even worse positioning options. And it's all very well listening to speakers belting out during an audition in a nice big demo room, but you don't need the same "oomph" in a small room.

I will be auditioning the Roth's within the month and if I like them, I'll buy them. Bought the CDP instead of the Lektor's, and it's that good I now want to replace the amp. So far the Roth's look a seriously good budget alternative as mentioned previously, but until I've heard them who knows.

Yeah well although reviews from WHF are good, they aren't the full story as reviews can be subjective to the listener and people have different preference.

I know they won't sound as they did in the shop but i want pair speakers that will last me and be good on a upgraded system for the future whether that's 2 years or 5 years doesn't matter. The speakers will be in a bigger room in the future.

Please let me know what you think of the roth's if i haven't already sorted this out by then, actually just let me know either way. :)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I wasn't citing the review as a recommendation or otherwise, just their observation that they need some space. Are you really going to get a demo with speakers on brackets up a wall?

I agree a number of people don't like the volume increments on the Denon but, if like me, they come to live with them. Some can't, which is fine, but it can run a hell of a range of speakers.

There's a guy on another forum who runs his through a pair of B&W 685's, nearly a £400 speaker. Overkill maybe, and not getting anywhere near their potential, but he's happy.

I never realised just how good an amp the Denon is until I bought my Marantz. I bought it primarily for headphone use, but running it through it that little amp is stunning.

Enough said. You're going round in circles and it's making me dizzy.

A

Anonymous

Hifix contacted me last night and they can't hold of the yamaha crxd430 either so they have cancelled my order. ahhh.

Im really tempted to get the onkyo 725 as it has that extra wattage, but how is onkyo matching with mordaunt short? if not too good (too bright) how about the q acoustic 2010/2020 with the onkyo?

A

Anonymous

Kincade:Richer Sounds have the Yamaha CRXD430 in stock in 12 stores see there website .

Yeah i know that, but i don't drive (yet) so the only one i can realistically go to is the birghton store.

The one they have is on loan with a customer at the moment as his system is in repair. Have to wait for it to come back which they coudln't give me and idea on, i would say at least a week. :(

Shall i just get this onkyo 725?, if system matching is not to my liking then i can just change the speakers.

Also is a higher wattage amp 50w per channel (the onkyo 725) going to drive the 902i's better? as apposed to most micro at 25w per channel.

A

Anonymous

Ok so i set up the Onkyo 725 today and wow! so much better than the
Denon dm37, it's more musical, more pleasant to listen to and slightly warmer (treble is on -1) and the bass is much better not so
overpowering but still punchy whilst the detail is still there and the
mid range seems lifted and more apparent.

The only downside is it doesn't look as nice as the denon but its still a
nicer looking unit and its what inside that counts!, it has more inputs
and an optical input and they are all gold plated as well, the blue
light display is a nice touch.

This is all on first listen which was fairly short (about 30 mins)
playing rock music. Oh yeah, volume increments are far better also
smile.gif

The mordaunt short speakers sound a lot better paired with this system
as apposed to the Denon, I don't know if this is due to the onkyo having
that extra 20 watts in power and amplification or whether the Onkyo's
just match better, or because this model is of higher grade then the
denon dm37.

Have to say thanks to ear for guiding me and giving me some good advice,
i think me and him look for the same sort of sound.

Doesn't look like I'll switch the Q acoustic 2010/2020 just yet, I'll
make a lost on it either way so will probably just keep it as it i

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts