Have i made a mistake? Im worried. Denon DM37DAB + Mordaunt short 902i HELP!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am worried i have made a mistake with the system matching and need some of your help, basically i have the Denon DM37DAB paired with the Mordaunt Short Avant 902i Speakers using QED cable.

I don't know what it is but im just not happy with overall sound of this match up, some types of music don't sound as good to me as others, for example slow and soft tracks sound fantastic and really nice, then alot of stuff that is fast paced, detailed or heavy just sounds muddled, too bright or metallic sounding and just generally not as pleasing. Bass is great its just the rest im not really happy with.

The detail is there and i like that however it just sounds too bright for me at the moment with certain music more then others. The denon system and mordaunt short speakers were both brought brand new do i just need to run the speakers in more??? is this typical of the 902i's to start with? Or is it my system matching that is the problem?

Now, orignally i was keen on the yamaha crxd430 as i heard it before and it sounded nice and warm paired with the standard yamaha speakers. The only thing that put me off was the fact it seemed almost too much with its i pod dock built into the unit and also the guy in richer sounds said the denon will perform better as it has slightly higher amplification, based on this i went for the denon. I did hear the denon system beforehand of course with the monitor audio br1's in audio t, i took my fav cd (muse - absolution) in there and it sounded great, now is this becuase the speakers were more to my liking or was it generally becuase they were run in? the only reason i didn't go for the denon and monitor audio deal for £299 was becuase i was told that becuase the cabinets are small on the br1's and that the bass wouldn't be as strong becuase the drivers are smaller, and someone recommended the 902i's over them.

Now im confused as to what to do, do i stick with what i got and run the speakers in a bit longer and then see how it sounds?? (its only had about 8-9 hours playback) or do i change my denon dm37dab to the yamaha crxd430 or onkyo even? (anything with similar amplification no lower then 2x25w) or do i change my speakers??? HELP!

Or is there anything i can configure on the denon dm37dab to maybe help this? i have turned the optimizer off, SDB (super dynamic bass) is off, bass is at +06/+08 and treble is at +02 although i vary the treble from 0 to +4.

Shall i replace it with the denon with the yamaha crxd430? what can i expect with this change?

Also what is this alleged hissing problem on the denon? i haven't heard it myself (i think) but the sound is very bright and sometimes i can hear this metallic sort of hiss sound in some music is this to do with the treble? or the speakers being new?

Bottom end of the line i want a system that has very good detail, can handle many genres of music i have a wide range and eclectic taste with favourites genres being House, Dance, acoustic, alternative rock and prog rock. I want it to have a sound that's enjoyable, warm, deep, detailed with clear bass and that i can listen to for hours and hours without getting tired.

The strange thing is one of my favourite albums (muse-absolution) just doesn't sound as good to me as it previously had whether it be through my earphones or my old hi fi. however pink floyd - dark side of the moon sounds brillaint on my new hi fi and i prefer the sound of it alot more on my new hi fi and this setp up, stange right? is this to do with the genres of music and how the speakers/system handle them??

If anyone has had any experience with the products i've mentioned or has any advice please help me out, jut so you know i want to stick with a micro system due to space saving and it only being in a smallish room.

Returns/exchange??

Also if i do decide to change what are richersounds and audio t like with returns? bought the denon dm37 about 6 weeks (actually used for about 2 weeks) and the MS 902i's were bought just under a month ago with 2 weeks aswell. Will they give me a refund or will it be an exchange?

WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE? IS IT JUST THAT I NEED TO RUN THEM IN MORE?

PLEASE HELP ME OUT IF YOU CAN!

Cheers,
Rob

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
ear:i find the dm37 the worse think denon as ever made.absolutely no detail in sound.just mud.

Depends what you've been listening to them through. Try Dali Lektor 1's.

Anyway, Rob. I've not heard the MS but from what I've read I gather they're pretty fussy with what they're partnered with. Have you got them on proper stands? If not, whatever speakers you use that is an absolute must, and obviously play about with their positioning. No idea what what QED cable you're using, but if it's got "silver" in the name I'd lose it.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:ear:i find the dm37 the worse think denon as ever made.absolutely no detail in sound.just mud.

Depends what you've been listening to them through. Try Dali Lektor 1's.

Anyway, Rob. I've not heard the MS but from what I've read I gather they're pretty fussy with what they're partnered with. Have you got them on proper stands? If not, whatever speakers you use that is an absolute must, and obviously play about with their positioning. No idea what what QED cable you're using, but if it's got "silver" in the name I'd lose it.

ear - Why does it have such good reviews and comments then?

sizzler - The cable i have is just called the QED Original Cable 3.50 a metre. I can't see the speaker cable playing a big part in the sound surely? after all its only a micro system and i thought QED was very well regarded?

My 902i's are on BT77 wall brackets, there's not much i can do with positiong it's a fairly small room although i can move a about a bit.

Anyway thanks for your repsonse, these Dali lektor's how much are they and what's difference between them and the MS 902i's? what would i loose/gain?

Do you think the 902i's need to be driven on a more powerful or seperate system then?

Are you sure they just don't need to be run in more?

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i really would try and let them run over night on low volume facing each other they say thats the best way to run them in. then play with your tone settings. you do need good stands and if you have lots of glass windows near that does not help. I would also try your set up in a differant room or even house and if you get the same sounds its the kit if not it may be your room. i have never heard your kit but im sure that its not the worst thing denon have made.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Denon is excellent when partnered well. As are the MS speakers - though these are on the bright, lively side, something that wall-mounting (rather than underpinning on solid stands) is not going to help.

Re speakers - i'd instead try the new Q Acoustics 2010 or 2020 speakers; both of which designed to be easily wall-mounted, and a better match for the Denon system.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
stores have lots of amps and receivers all connected the same way and we can choose various speakers to go with it.the denon is the worse , more confused sounding system I've heard.Just my opinion.

A

Anonymous

smuggs:i really would try and let them run over night on low volume facing each other they say thats the best way to run them in. then play with your tone settings. you do need good stands and if you have lots of glass windows near that does not help. I would also try your set up in a differant room or even house and if you get the same sounds its the kit if not it may be your room. i have never heard your kit but im sure that its not the worst thing denon have made.
smuggs (if your still talking to me
emotion-10.gif
) , can i ask you how close to a wall is it advisable to have my br5s ?? im very happy with the sound from mine , but the right speaker is about ten inches from a wall on its right hand side , do you think i should move it further away ? ta...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
ear:stores have lots of amps and receivers all connected the same way and we can choose various speakers to go with it.the denon is the worse , more confused sounding system I've heard.Just my opinion.

And your opinion is welcome, ear (and you're certainly spreading it on many threads!) - though very different to ours. I have to question whether you heard either a duff Denon or a duff set-up; we've got some great results with the little box properly paired.

matthewpiano

The Denon is a very talented little unit and I'd advise caution in suddenly throwing out the baby with the bath water.

It may be that the Mordaunt-Shorts just aren't the right speakers for your listening environment. The Denon works extremely well with the Tannoy F1 Customs and I would strongly advise giving them a go. If you got the speakers from Richers and you still have the packaging, go and talk to them. I have always found them to be extremely helpful and accommodating in such situations.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
actually ive heard the model several times at different stores.so always a different amp.but I havent compared it much to other mini systems.i think it is a bit worse than thne pma500ae, and I find the pma500ae also bad.I just think for the price you can get something much better.heard it with 9.1, 10.1, QA2020,2050, br5 ,jbl es30,something like Yamaha rx-397 ,hk3490,cambridge audio (the mini one), all sounded much better.

A

Anonymous

smuggs:i really would try and let them run over night on low volume facing each other they say thats the best way to run them in. then play with your tone settings. you do need good stands and if you have lots of glass windows near that does not help. I would also try your set up in a differant room or even house and if you get the same sounds its the kit if not it may be your room. i have never heard your kit but im sure that its not the worst thing denon have made.

Thanks for this! i may just do that tonight! i have been playing with tone settings quite a bit already but will continue to do so after further run in. starting to think whether these q aucostic 2020's may be better for me as they have specifically made wall mounts.

I have no room at the moment for stands so i will rule that out.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:The Denon is a very talented little unit and I'd advise caution in suddenly throwing out the baby with the bath water.

It may be that the Mordaunt-Shorts just aren't the right speakers for your listening environment. The Denon works extremely well with the Tannoy F1 Customs and I would strongly advise giving them a go. If you got the speakers from Richers and you still have the packaging, go and talk to them. I have always found them to be extremely helpful and accommodating in such situations.

Thanks for your advice! I heard about the tannoy f1's being popular with denon however i don't really like the look of them... any other speakers you recommend based on my requirements??

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Tannoy F1s, MA BR1s, oh, and the Wharfedale 9.1 / 9.0 seem to be the most favoured speakers that people have paired with the DM37, or on this forum they seem to be anyway. No one seems to have a problem with any of those.

Definately isn't the worst thing Denon has ever made. For the price, one of the best.

Have to admit though that the MS902i's were my least favourite when auditioning various combinations.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Re speakers I think they've all been mentioned above really:

Tannoy F1's
Q Acoustic 2010's or the 2020's
Dali Lektor 1's or 2's
Monitor Audio BR1's

If you want to try 2nd hand then I could suggest the B&W 601 S3's you'll find on eBay etc...

matthewpiano

roblikeshismusic:
matthewpiano:The Denon is a very talented little unit and I'd advise caution in suddenly throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Thanks for your advice! I heard about the tannoy f1's being popular with denon however i don't really like the look of them... any other speakers you recommend based on my requirements??

Based on hearing the previous model 1020i I'd suggest looking at the Q Acoustics 2020s.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
The Denon is excellent when partnered well. As are the MS speakers - though these are on the bright, lively side, something that wall-mounting (rather than underpinning on solid stands) is not going to help.

Re speakers - i'd instead try the new Q Acoustics 2010 or 2020 speakers; both of which designed to be easily wall-mounted, and a better match for the Denon system.

Thanks for your help!

Is the bass still strong on the q acoustic 2020's? how would they compare to the bass on 902i's??

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The bass is good and deep but well timed with punch & kick.

They're a bigger speaker than the 902's so they'll be more powerful. Get them on their own specific wall brakets though and you'll be laughing
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

smuggs:i really would try and let them run over night on low volume facing each other they say thats the best way to run them in.

shall i do this with one speaker out of phase like it says in the manual?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
roblikeshismusic:
smuggs:i really would try and let them run over night on low volume facing each other they say thats the best way to run them in.

Yes...

If you're not happy with the sound currently though this may be a waste of time.

If you can, demo the 902's against the Q Acoustic 2010's and the 2020's at a Richer Sounds if you've one near to you or another hifi retailer that has the gear in.

You'll soon see which speakers are right for you!

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:The bass is good and deep but well timed with punch & kick.

They're a bigger speaker than the 902's so they'll be more powerful. Get them on their own specific wall brakets though and you'll be laughing
emotion-1.gif

Ahhh that sounds promising! you do mean 902i's and not the older 902's right? just that you said 902 in the message...

Only problem is if i get these will richersounds give me a refund on the 902i's? they've only had about 2 weeks use (about 9 hours play)

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:roblikeshismusic:

Yes...

If you're not happy with the sound currently though this may be a waste of time.

If you can, demo the 902's against the Q Acoustic 2010's and the 2020's at a Richer Sounds if you've one near to you or another hifi retailer that has the gear in.

You'll soon see which speakers are right for you!

Ok.. will it effect the likeliness of a refund/exchange if i run them in?

I have a richer sounds in brighton near me, also they don't show the 2010/2020 on their site, do they not stock them?

It's weird becuase i did demo the 902i in richersounds with the yamaha crxd430 and i liked the sound very much i don't recall it being too bright or harsh. maybe i didn't listen long enough but im usually picky with sound so maybe it was becuase they were run in? or was it the yamaha micro system?...

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
yamahas are very detailed .the 902 seem a bit veiled on sound, but can also sound to some bright.to me the veiled sound paired with the yamaha detail made a good combination.

A

Anonymous

ear:yamahas are very detailed .the 902 seem a bit veiled on sound, but can also sound to some bright.to me the veiled sound paired with the yamaha detail made a good combination.

Thanks for this, maybe that's why i liked the sound of 902i's when i demoed them then, becuse it was paired with the yamaha system, hmmm.. or was it becuase they were run in?

TRENDING THREADS