Question Denon RCD-M41DAB upgrade

BHA60

Dec 31, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I am new to the forum.
I am thinking of upgrading my Denon RCD-M41DAB to a separates system comprising Marantz PM6007, CD6007 & QAcoustics 3020i speakers.
Will this give me a marked improvement over the Denon ?
Thanks in advance...

Cork

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
Definitely an improvement, but I'm not sure about a 'marked' one. If money is no object then definitely have at it. Contradictorily, if money is no object then you could go for a much better receiver first and see if that scratches the itch. Also, you don't need a lot of power for the QAcoustics, but at 88 db you could use more than 30w.

Bottom line - you could use an upgrade; if you like having full tweaking control then try the separates, if you more value simplicity, go for a better receiver.

Hi, I am new to the forum.
I am thinking of upgrading my Denon RCD-M41DAB to a separates system comprising Marantz PM6007, CD6007 & QAcoustics 3020i speakers.
Will this give me a marked improvement over the Denon ?
Thanks in advance...

Will be worth exploring a Marantz Melody. Similar to the Denon as it's digital and compact, the improvement is quite marked.

Only go to Marantz separates if you major with vinyl -- has a very good built-in phono stage.

In your particular situation I would demo the Marantz Melody 612.

If you want better speakers Monitor Audio Silver or Focal should sound cracking, but only a demo will confirm if you'll like the combination.

BHA60

Dec 31, 2023
Visit site
Hi, at the moment I am using the speakers that came with my original Denon Separate CD /Amp System, they're labeled Denon but I think they are Mission. They sound good with the set up I have presently.

Cork

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
Hi, at the moment I am using the speakers that came with my original Denon Separate CD /Amp System, ...
I thought you already had the speakers, speakers will definitely be a noticeable upgrade, using either separates or an upgraded receiver.

matthewpianist

Hi, at the moment I am using the speakers that came with my original Denon Separate CD /Amp System, they're labeled Denon but I think they are Mission. They sound good with the set up I have presently.

I don't think the current Denon speakers are made by Mission, though older iterations were.

You could add streaming and improve the sound by changing to a Denon CEOL or Marantz MCR612 and a pair of Mission LX MkII or QX MkII series speakers. This will comfortably match any system built around the 6007 CD/amp, in a more compact format.

BHA60

Dec 31, 2023
Visit site
I don't think the current Denon speakers are made by Mission, though older iterations were.

You could add streaming and improve the sound by changing to a Denon CEOL or Marantz MCR612 and a pair of Mission LX MkII or QX MkII series speakers. This will comfortably match any system built around the 6007 CD/amp, in a more compact format.
The speakers are from an older separates Denon system (DCD F101 I think) and I'm pretty sure they are Mission.
Will the Marantz Melody X be superior in sound to the Denon RCD-M41DAB?
I listen to CDs and Vinyl mostly, my turntable has its own built in phono stage

Last edited:

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
The speakers are from an older separates Denon system (DCD F101 I think) and I'm pretty sure they are Mission.
They're mission made, used to sell them back in the day. they are actually very very very good speakers.

If it where me id keep the speakers as you wont notice any difference. and put all your money into a new amp of sorts to drive them really well. maybe something with some streaming capabilities as well. The option you mentioned would be fine companions.

And maybe a set of small speaker stands to help the speakers along if you haven't already.

matthewpianist

Yes, they're definitely Mission and very good, though you would notice further improvement with the current Mission range - the LX MkII and QX MkII are exceptional ranges.

You won't find the Melody X or CEOL units to be greatly superior in sound, because the DM41DAB is very capable, but they offer more functionality. The budget Marantz separates don't offer any real term step up in performance. I'm saying this from experience of all the kit we're discussing.

DCarmi

I've got the Denon upstairs and a PM6006 based system downstairs. If there is nothing particularly wrong with the Denon then, I don't think changing to the Marantz system will make a marked step up in quality.

Personally, I'd save for something a bit better.

Reactions: matthewpianist

BHA60

Dec 31, 2023
Visit site
To be honest I've been satisfied with the Denon but the CD drawer has started having intermittent problems ejecting and closing. This started me looking into replacing or upgrading, space is a consideration, I could put separates with my turntable on top but apparently it's best to not do this, so replacing the Denon or maybe a Marantz Melody x maybe a better option...

DCarmi

Ah! That makes more sense. I agree that putting a turntable on top of an amp would not be great.

There are some small form factor separates you could look at.
e.g. Rega Io or Brio amps are well regarded.
Tangent and Project both CD players with small footprints.

To be honest, if you were happy with the DM41 then one of the Denon CEOLs or the Melody X would probably suit you.

If you are UK-based and near a Richersounds (for example) you should be able to see the Denons and Melody X side by side and a demo would not go amiss.

BHA60

Dec 31, 2023
Visit site
Thanks all, for your help. I'm quite a distance from Richersounds, I went over during Christmas break to look.
They have the Marantz Melody for £399 and a replacement for the DenonM41 is £250, I didn't manage to listen to compare though

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS