Have do you guys eliminate fan noise from you high end set ups?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Which bit of your equipment are you referring to? The only items I have which create fan noise are my PVR, my Xbox 360 and my PS3 - none of which are involved for proper music listening or home cinema viewing.

A

Anonymous

If you mean computer fan, best solution is to have it in another room and stream wirelessly (eg Squeezebox or apple airport express)... Although if the noise gets significantly quieter when you put your hand on the case, a few squares of high mass acoustic matting (like used in car soundproofing) works wonders. If you mean any of your actual hifi/av boxes, a rack with doors is probably the best bet, but have to be careful about overheating.

And if you mean the excessive noise a Virgin V+HD box makes even on standby, I'd love to know too!!! ;-)

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
My NAS makes a right old racket. I have to have it in the lounge due to the location of my phone socket and therefore router, but I've moved it in to a cupboard to eliminate the noise.

A

Anonymous

With my PS3 I swapped the default 15 blade fan for a more efficient 19-blade and now its whisper quiet (fairly trivial).

My 2 NAS's can be audible when the fan kicks in - so they are stored away in a cupboard.

Nothing else I have makes any noise.

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi TechMad

Can you please give a more info on the steps and the specs / details of the new fan you used, as a PS3 I can sound like a hovercraft in the room when the fan kicks into high speed. Ignoring for the moment the fan noise, the PS3 also does a good job for streaming apple lossless from my Synology NAS - via the wired gibabit ethernet connection to the PS3 and on to the AVR Amp.

The Synology Audio Station / iTunes app is pretty good, including the custom and smart playlists that can be set up.

A

Anonymous

I just followed this vid

EDITED BY MODS - please don't link to sites containing profanity

and stuffed in this fan

http://www.amazon.co.uk/replacement-cooling-Quality-supplied-ConsoleParts4U/dp/B0045Y8DUG

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts